I Decided on DOT3, Am I Wrong?

Out of curiosity regarding different DOT ratings and viscosity. I have a 91 Toyota MR2 NO ABS that specifies DOT 3 for brakes and clutch systems.

Is there a fluid that has better lubricity than others for the clutch system?

Also since it is almost 30 years old is there any brake fluids I should steer clear of and I am curious if there are any advantages to an LV fluid in either the brake or clutch systems?

Most clutches share the same fluid with the brakes. At 30 years old, anything you use is better than what's in there now. Changing the fluid regularly is more important than what brand you use. The same materials are used in the shared system. The LV might be better when cold.

Most clutches share the same fluid with the brakes. At 30 years old, anything you use is better than what's in there now. Changing the fluid regularly is more important than what brand you use. The same materials are used in the shared system. The LV might be better when cold.
I absolutely agree! Since I just got this car earlier this summer I don't know if the fluids that were changed and the intervals. I am wondering if LV fluid is even worth it or if it's may just cause issues with an older system? I know I am overthinking this, but that's what this forum is all about. haha

I've noticed no difference in using DOT3 in place of DOT4 in the application of the Honda Civic. All 4 wheels were bled when I changes the brakes if that helps. Pedal feels good!

I've noticed no difference in using DOT3 in place of DOT4 in the application of the Honda Civic. All 4 wheels were bled when I changes the brakes if that helps. Pedal feels good!
Still into the new year and DOT3 is working well.

"... the argument is based on different compressibility of the fluids...."
An automotive brake master cylinder is incapable of compressing a liquid on planet Earth.
So says
Mater Cylinder.jpeg

Back