I changed the oil without changing the filter?

Changing the oil without changing the oil filter......Say three Our Fathers four Hail Marys and you will be fine...... :D

This has worked on every problematic filter removal

TEKTON 12 Inch Oil Filter Pliers | 5866

1652269201082.jpg

*I run up to a 5,000 mile OCI with a Fram Ultra oil filter + synthetic oil in a Hyundai GDI engine . I have contemplated using the same Fram oil filter for two OCI's but then again soot produced from GDI engine may or may not be the best idea to use the same oil filter again OR with soot it makes no difference and I should be fine to use the Fram Ultra for 2X 5,000 mile OCI's ?

*I run up to a 5,000 mile OCI with a Fram Ultra oil filter + synthetic oil in a Hyundai GDI engine . I have contemplated using the same Fram oil filter for two OCI's but then again soot produced from GDI engine may or may not be the best idea to use the same oil filter again OR with soot it makes no difference and I should be fine to use the Fram Ultra for 2X 5,000 mile OCI's ?
Soot is most of the time too tiny to be captured in the oil filter (< 20 microns), so it should be okay. The best way is to open up your oil filter and check it out.
But if the goal is the save money, I would use the $3 super tech 9688 filters on every oil change, rather than $10 fram ultra every 2 oil changes, but still use a good quality oil every time.

I recently posted a UOA on my accord where the Fran Ultra had three oil changes on it, over 17K mikes on the filter and all was well according to Blackstone. Going forward I will be doing 5000-6000 oil changes with a Fram Ultra changed every 3rd oil change

You will be fine running out this oil change interval and changing filter with next oil change. If it is going to bother so much then do like you mentioned, change filter out and top off as necessary

I just changed oil after 7000 miles in my 4runner after struggling with oil drain plug, it was pitch black but I couldn't remove the oil filter housing so I drained the oil and put Pennzoil platinum 0W-20 ( bought through rebate) leaving the old filter. My question is will it be okay if I change the oil filter later, I planning to change the old filter with a wix filter next week by taking it to my mechanic during my day off. The usual quick lube place I go over torqued everything, they used supertech oil last time. I doubt they put quality filter. Does the old oil in my old filter spoil my new oil?

Lesson learned : changing oil in a 5th gen 4runner by yourself is not worth it.
You need a special cap socket for those, that said, I've taken filters out of hundreds of Toyotas with 10k change intervals and they always looked like they had lots of life left, Toyotas just don't produce much dirt.

Why is it everybody assumes that all commercial establishments use " inexperienced operators " ? I guess they have evidence ...
Took my 4Runner to the dealership for the free Toyota Care oil change at 10K miles. The next oil change I did myself @ 15K miles and discovered that all the skid plate bolts were cross threaded. They were just fine when I did the change at 5K. That was the last oil change by a commercial establishment.

It really doesn't take long to change the oil on a 5th Gen 4Runner. On the 5's I do a spill and fill. On the 10's I also drop the skid plate and change the filter. I also grease the U-joints while I'm under there. The dealership certainly doesn't do it.

Took my 4Runner to the dealership for the free Toyota Care oil change at 10K miles. The next oil change I did myself @ 15K miles and discovered that all the skid plate bolts were cross threaded. They were just fine when I did the change at 5K. That was the last oil change by a commercial establishment.

It really doesn't take long to change the oil on a 5th Gen 4Runner. On the 5's I do a spill and fill. On the 10's I also drop the skid plate and change the filter. I also grease the U-joints while I'm under there. The dealership certainly doesn't do it.
This is so true. My skid plates and oil drain access panel had two different bolts.

I bought a Honda 20 years ago and it said change the oil filter every other oil change. That was a new concept to me, but I tried it. And I’m glad I did. And that was with a cheap $3 parts store oil filter.

Here we are , 20 years later, and I always use the oil filter for at least two oil change intervals. At least 500,000 miles and not one single oil related problem ever.

In fact, I started changing my oil filter every 3rd oil change about two years ago. The top Mobil and Fram filters say right on the box good for 20,000 miles. I change my oil in my driveway in about 7 minutes flat every 5000 miles. I leave the Fram Ultra or M1 filter on for three oil changes (15,000 miles)

Scientifically there is nothing wrong with Hondas recommendation to change every other (20,000 mile recommendation on those Honda cars from that time period)

Not sure what year of 4Runner but if it is the cartridge filter, you need to buy the special large socket from Amazon.
There are a variety of them and they are just use specifically for this filter.
It usually cost around $20.

Also, it is probably worth to you to replace it with the "metal" canister version, if it has the plastic version.
I bought the metal canister for my 2017 Sienna replacing the plastic from factory.

For regular can filter, use the wrench suggested above by henni.
It is cheap at HF.
I suspect, this can be used even on the cartridge but I am not sure if it will damage them.

I removed my filter from my 4runner after 7000 miles. It looks great given it's a quick lube filter, honestly the quick lube filter looks in great condition, structurally stiff, better than the made in China wix 57173 filter I replaced with. I believe this filter is better for the money. Can anyone know what filter is this? Is this Champ P968 filter?

IMG_20220515_192608524.jpg
IMG_20220515_192531340.jpg
IMG_20220515_192453049.jpg

Sounds like they start the bolts using an air gun, then just pound them in with the air gun. Takes "too long" to start bolts with the fingers. :rolleyes::sneaky:

Why is it everybody assumes that all commercial establishments use " inexperienced operators " ? I guess they have evidence ...
I watched America’s Tire waiting to get service. I was impressed… They used a torque stick and a click torque. The Mazda dealer failed to do either and did not rotate tires as the work order showed. So some I do and some I do not trust.

I just changed oil after 7000 miles in my 4runner after struggling with oil drain plug, it was pitch black but I couldn't remove the oil filter housing so I drained the oil and put Pennzoil platinum 0W-20 ( bought through rebate) leaving the old filter. My question is will it be okay if I change the oil filter later, I planning to change the old filter with a wix filter next week by taking it to my mechanic during my day off. The usual quick lube place I go over torqued everything, they used supertech oil last time. I doubt they put quality filter. Does the old oil in my old filter spoil my new oil?

Lesson learned : changing oil in a 5th gen 4runner by yourself is not worth it.
Lesson you SHOULD have learned: changing oil in a 5th gen 4Runner at a quick lube place is not worth it.

Back