I changed the oil without changing the filter?

Why is it everybody assumes that all commercial establishments use " inexperienced operators " ? I guess they have evidence ...
A Toyota dealership stripped out the drain plug on my Mom's Camry, and she had it serviced only at that dealership ever since the car was bought new from them. I got the manager involved and they ended up replacing the oil pan for no cost. They claimed they always use a torque wrench and I asked "How do you know the torque wrench was always set to the right torque value, or how do you know someone wasn't half asleep and turned it the wrong way when removing it and that move over torqued it and stripped it out?" He didn't have a real answer for that. You'd think removing and reinstalling an oil pan drain plug would be the simplest thing in the world associated with working on an engine ... but plenty of evidence that isn't the case, even at a "professional" main brand dealership.

A Toyota dealership stripped the bolts on my 4Runner skid plate during a free Toyota care oil change. After that, it was DIY oil changes.

A 4Runner is too complicated for a shop to do an oil change, I guess. 8 bolts and a few plastic snaps is just too much to ask.

Why is it everybody assumes that all commercial establishments use " inexperienced operators " ? I guess they have evidence ...
Because that's what it says on the Internet and we all know that you can't post anything that's not true ..;)

I just changed oil after 7000 miles in my 4runner after struggling with oil drain plug, it was pitch black but I couldn't remove the oil filter housing so I drained the oil and put Pennzoil platinum 0W-20 ( bought through rebate) leaving the old filter. My question is will it be okay if I change the oil filter later, I planning to change the old filter with a wix filter next week by taking it to my mechanic during my day off. The usual quick lube place I go over torqued everything, they used supertech oil last time. I doubt they put quality filter. Does the old oil in my old filter spoil my new oil?

Lesson learned : changing oil in a 5th gen 4runner by yourself is not worth it.
You could run the filter a few thousand more miles, then, change the oil and filter.

A lot of complaints about "the Dealership", or "Walmart", or "Quickie Lube". In every case, a PERSON did the work. Yes, that person represents the company that employs them, but, the quality of the job comes down to the individual that installed and turned the bolts/filters. Some are careless, some are purposefully harmful (I would hope not many), some make honest mistakes, some are fantastic. I do my own, because I know I'll get fantastic service. B-)

A lot of complaints about "the Dealership", or "Walmart", or "Quickie Lube". In every case, a PERSON did the work. Yes, that person represents the company that employs them, but, the quality of the job comes down to the individual that installed and turned the bolts/filters. Some are careless, some are purposefully harmful (I would hope not many), some make honest mistakes, some are fantastic. I do my own, because I know I'll get fantastic service. B-)
What did the teacher say. Give her apple!

Back