I changed the oil without changing the filter?

I just changed oil after 7000 miles in my 4runner after struggling with oil drain plug, it was pitch black but I couldn't remove the oil filter housing so I drained the oil and put Pennzoil platinum 0W-20 ( bought through rebate) leaving the old filter. My question is will it be okay if I change the oil filter later, I planning to change the old filter with a wix filter next week by taking it to my mechanic during my day off. The usual quick lube place I go over torqued everything, they used supertech oil last time. I doubt they put quality filter. Does the old oil in my old filter spoil my new oil?

Lesson learned : changing oil in a 5th gen 4runner by yourself is not worth it.

Yes it'll be fine to replace in a week. Even if you do replace the filter there's always some old oil lurking in the engine that gets mixed in with the new. Make sure you top off the 1/2 quart or whatever is required when you do so.

Years ago I finally gave in to reason and started following Honda's guidance to replace the filter every other oil change. I do use the long life type filters advertised to go 15-20,000 miles (Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, etc) but figure if those dudes have decided it's OK, then it's OK.

jeff

Lesson learned : changing oil in a 5th gen 4runner by yourself is not worth it.
I agree there's a lesson here, but I don't think it's that you shouldn't change your own oil. I think the lesson is that you shouldn't let other people change it for you. You wouldn't have had a too tight filter if you had changed it yourself.

No problem using the filter for 2 or even 3 oil changes. I cut apart oil filters on aircraft engines, and I often use the tooling to cut apart my car+truck oil filters. Not once have I found any evidence of clogging, debris or evidence of reduction in flow, such as flattened pleats.

It's good to keep in mind that the oil filter does not remove common soot, combustion blow by contaminates, unburned fuel contaminates, evaporated fuel contaminates, and or any particulates smaller than about (for example) 10 microns. That's why an oil change is required.

Not sure which filter you have, but I would invest in a quality tool to remove it. As others have said, there is no problem leaving the filter on for a 2nd service.
Good luck.

No problem using the filter for 2 or even 3 oil changes
In one of my cars I change oil every 10k while in others ever 3k. Its not a good idea to keep the same filter especially with longer intervals oil changes (15000 or 20000).

YES, You'll be fine changing the filter when you get around to it. Preferably sooner rather than later. (y)

When I worked with my dad from ~1970-79, we only changed the filter every 2nd OCI providing we knew the vehicle history. Dad only used Purolator filters as this is what his jobber provided.

After Dad retired('79), I was changing the filter on my own vehicles every time as they were cheap and I was buying oil & filters cheap from K-Mart, Western Auto & National Auto and using mostly FRAM & LEE filters.

Later on still, when we started seeing Parts America(a.k.a Advance Auto Parts) in my area I was buying tons of Havoline & PuroPremPlus filters(once again) and still changing the filter each OCI.

Only now that I am using the upper level of filters(e.g., Fram Ultra, Pure Boss, Denso D+), am I again changing the filter every 2nd OCI once again.

Last edited:
FWIW in the future, walmart lube centers are better than the quick lube places. IIRC they even use torque wrenches! :eek:
I have not seen any evidence that Walmart TLE’s are any better than their competition. Using torque wrenches sounds good on paper, but the value of that tool is questionable when used by inexperienced operators.

I have not seen any evidence that Walmart TLE’s are any better than their competition. Using torque wrenches sounds good on paper, but the value of that tool is questionable when used by inexperienced operators.
If I was to rate the quality of oil change due to torquing cover plate and tire lug nuts from personal experience I would stay away from the car dealership service. At least the couple I used.

Why is it everybody assumes that all commercial establishments use " inexperienced operators " ? I guess they have evidence ...

Back