I can't afford mobil 1 anymore,help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

i own a 2001 mitsubishi galant v6 with 103,000 milles on it, i always used mobil 1 since i got the car,but i'm a broke student and i can't afford mobil 1 anymore...The last oil change was on october 2011 (it's been 2800 milles since october 2011). And the current oil is dark.
So i'm thinking about going for a conventional oil (valvoline conventional white bottle)...And change the oil every 6 months. What do you guys think about this?,or should i go for maxlife conventional?
Valvoline conventional is very cheap,i can change the oil every 6 months no problem.
Sometimes i'm very hard with the accelerator,that's why i always used mobil 1,my engine runs like new and there's no weird noises or oil consumption at all,but sadly i can't afford it anymore.

2-6 month oci with valvoline white bottle is more expensive than 1 yearly oci change of Mobil 1.

Also, Maxlife is a better oil than VWB but more expensive and is a syn blend.

If you watch for deals there are many full synthetics cheaper than conventional. For instance right now peak full synthetic is 22.99 for 5qt jug and you get a 10 rebate making it 12.99 for 5qts of full syn. Pennzoil also has $10 rebates on synthetic making it the same price as conventional or cheaper than conventional.

$33-35for a yearly Mobil 1 oil change special (5qts +filter) is pretty cheap when it is going for a year.
VWB = $16 for 5qts
Filter = 5ish
$21 for 1 oci
$42 for 2 -6 month VWB oci

That being said, a good conventional can easily go 5000 miles.

Last edited:
If you wanna change, I'd go with Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (PYB). Very stout additive pack with lots of Moly for protection and it can be found cheap.

That or just stay with M1 and go longer.

As long as there is oil in your engine youre fine.

Any conventional oil at 5000 miles is ok.

At Walmart, Mobil 1 is about $10 more than dino oil for a 5qt jug. If you don't have $10 extra for good oil, what about repairs and insurance.

Or go easy on the gas pedal, save money on gas and afford the Mobil 1. Drive as if there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

Buy cheap beer!!

Originally Posted By: volk06
2-6 month oci with valvoline white bottle is more expensive than 1 yearly oci change of Mobil 1.

If you watch for deals there are many full synthetics cheaper than conventional. For instance right now peak full synthetic is 22.99 for 5qt jug and you get a 10 rebate making it 12.99 for 5qts of full syn. Pennzoil also has $10 rebates on synthetic making it the same price as conventional or cheaper than conventional.

$33-35for a yearly Mobil 1 oil change special (5qts +filter) is pretty cheap when it is going for a year.
VWB = $16 for 5qts
Filter = 5ish
$21 for 1 oci

So a dirty mobil 1 is better than a clean conventional?

To be honest i'm worried about having a dirty oil,my common sense tells me that a clean engine oil is better than a dirty one,but i may be wrong. That's why i'm thking about switching to a cheaper oil.

There is no need for you to be running Mobil 1 in that car. You may have wanted to, but there is no need. Any decent dino oil will be good for a full calender year, assuming 4000 miles or less in a year, which is what you'll end up with in two months.

Valvoline is great oil no matter what name they assign to it, or the color of the bottle they put it in. If it says Valvoline, it's good oil.

Keith

2800 mile M1 and it's been a year? Sounds right to me.

I'd use another, cheaper dexos1 full synthetic like the Peak full synthetic for $12 after rebate. It'll meet the same specifications, and be easier on the wallet.

On that car I'd not be terribly concerned with syn. The specs for it don't require syn.

So I'd keep watching for the freebies (eg nexgen deals we've had recently), and oil change deals at the stores. Should be fine...

And to add to all of this, if you are so broke that you worry about oil prices, start saving money now as your 11 year old car will most likely need bigger investments to keep it running than synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: n00b76
Originally Posted By: volk06

VWB = $16 for 5qts
Filter = 5ish
$21 for 1 oci

So a dirty mobil 1 is better than a clean conventional?

To be honest i'm worried about having a dirty oil,my common sense tells me that a clean engine oil is better than a dirty one,but i may be wrong. That's why i'm thking about switching to a cheaper oil.

How do you know its dirty? What is your definition of a "dirty" oil.Just by the color? You can't judge an oil based on color. Mobil 1 is a great oil and runs in cars for 10k+... your 2800 miles is nothing. Unless you neglect your car or your engine is dirty, 1 year OCI on Mobil is just fine especially with that few of miles. I realize your new here, do some research on it and you'll find out what I've stated. Is mobil 1 better then VWB, yes it is a superior oil but it is not needed in some applications.

If you want to run VWB and do 6 month OCI, do it.

If you want a cheaper route with a superior oil, go yearly with Mobil 1.

Your engine will never know the difference and still be spotless inside.

Last edited:
As others have said, it will cost you more to double the oil changes with conventional vs. a yearly M1 OC based on your miles. Between the extra fuel consumed and wearing your car out, being very hard with the accelerator is much more costly than the most expensive oil change. Maybe if you stopped beating on your car you could afford to maintain it the way you want to.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
And to add to all of this, if you are so broke that you worry about oil prices, start saving money now as your 11 year old car will most likely need bigger investments to keep it running than synthetic oil.

hehe,that's true. But the engine had a timing belt job and ATF change at 95,000 so i think im good to go for the next 30,000 (knock on wood).

Thank you guys for all the replays. I think I'm going to stay with Mobil 1 and keep the OCI one time a year.

Thanks.

I'd stick with PYB (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle - their conventional) and a Purolator Classic filter for so few miles and change it annually. You have a very temperate climate going for you in San Diego which helps too. The 5qt jug and filter at Wal-Mart will come to less than $20 before tax. Take your car on a 20 minute trip once a week to get everything hot.

Dark oil is doing its job - keeping the bad stuff in suspension.

In a warm climate, with as little as he drives, i bet a 15w40 hdeo oil would easily hold up for a year. Lots of tbn and detergents. No more than he drives little effect on fuel economy.

If you're on a budget and want to still use a synthetic, try Napa Synthetic oil. It's on sale at the moment for 3.50 a quart. You should be able to use this oil with the amount of miles you put in your car per year.

Last edited:
There is plenty of options to use. Honestly once a year or every 5,000 miles with a conventional or on sale synthetic like Napa Synthetic(Valvoline Synpower) is more than adequate your engine will not have any extra wear nor will engine life be affected. I have been using conventional oils and 5 to 9K OCI's for years. Engines are more durable than most people give them credit for.

Originally Posted By: Donald
At Walmart, Mobil 1 is about $10 more than dino oil for a 5qt jug. If you don't have $10 extra for good oil, what about repairs and insurance.

Or go easy on the gas pedal, save money on gas and afford the Mobil 1. Drive as if there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

Buy cheap beer!!

What conventional oil is no good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back