I call her "tiny"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I always liked our cold climate which it is here most of the year but I think I have just grown to like it all that much more...

Black Widows you can keep 'em.
27.gif

Well you haven't seen those big hairy "Dock Spiders" that live under docks by the water. Those things are nasty at times...

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I used to have an instant "KILl KILL KILL" instinct for spiders, which I got from my mom. These days since I know they aren't poisonous (most) I will either leave them alone, or try to move them outside without killing them.

Probably not helping the cause of innocent spiders, but you might want to know that they're ALL venomous/poisonous. All of them. As I understand it, the innocent looking "Daddy Longlegs" actually dispenses the most toxic venom ever collected by mankind. Their only "problem" is that their fangs are so short and small (designed for their prey, thank God not us) that they are totally incapable of injecting venom into humans. That's a good thing for me, considering my childhood "interactions" with these poor beasts...

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
I used to have an instant "KILl KILL KILL" instinct for spiders, which I got from my mom. These days since I know they aren't poisonous (most) I will either leave them alone, or try to move them outside without killing them.

Probably not helping the cause of innocent spiders, but you might want to know that they're ALL venomous/poisonous. All of them. As I understand it, the innocent looking "Daddy Longlegs" actually dispenses the most toxic venom ever collected by mankind. Their only "problem" is that their fangs are so short and small (designed for their prey, thank God not us) that they are totally incapable of injecting venom into humans. That's a good thing for me, considering my childhood "interactions" with these poor beasts...

Mythbusters disproved that. They managed to get adam to bite him, and it broke the skin, but it is a complete fallacy that the venom is extremely toxic. They are pretty much the least dangerous.

Please Nick, Mythbusters is fun and entertaining, and often makes a good point, but it is neither science nor engineering. Get into the real science and then get back with us. Now granted, the point is largely academic because the DL spider has tiny fangs (not effective for delivering venom deep into a large target, like a human) and tiny amounts of venom. It should seem obvious that a DL is not trying to bring down a water buffalo to eat for lunch.

Irrespective of actual toxicity, we're all safe from the DDL, but really, please, don't come on here and cite Mythbusters as an authority. Should I cite StarTrek for proof of the existence of alien life forms? Obviously, MB tries to be real in a way StarTrek isn't, but I think you can see my point.

Now, back to the original topic. This is yet more proof that gas grills are always better than charcoal. If I had opened my grill and seen something like that, I'd have immediately closed the lid, turned on the gas, and hit the auto igniter. Then I'd let it sit for about fifteen minutes. At that point, not only would there be no spider in there, there'd be no trace of evidence that a spider had ever been there!
wink.gif

ekpolk, not to be argumentative...but I think you are being a bit harsh about Mythbusters.

Yes, it's a TV show and it's designed to be entertainment, and 'easily digestible'...I get that.

BUT, the experiments they come up with and execute are fairly well thought-out and set-up. I think they come as close as you can to 'scientific' on commercial TV.

Don't understand why you get such a thrill out of mocking a younger member on here who cited the best example he could to make his point - do you feel smart now, you beat an 18-year old college kid?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
ekpolk, not to be argumentative...but I think you are being a bit harsh about Mythbusters.

Yes, it's a TV show and it's designed to be entertainment, and 'easily digestible'...I get that.

BUT, the experiments they come up with and execute are fairly well thought-out and set-up. I think they come as close as you can to 'scientific' on commercial TV.

Don't understand why you get such a thrill out of mocking a younger member on here who cited the best example he could to make his point - do you feel smart now, you beat an 18-year old college kid?

Uh, thanks... I think....

lol

If he had made a generic point about not thinking that Mythbusters was the beast place for scientific evidence, I can understand that.

It was the mocking, belittling 'please Nick'...'get into real science'....'but please Nick'....'oh, should I do this..' stuff over and over that I don't think is called for, and ek should know that.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

No sir, not at all. Yes, MB usually does think out the questions they address pretty well, but again, MB is neither science nor engineering. I watch it with my kids all the time. We have fun critiquing the logic of their experiments, and sometimes illogic.

Look, Nick came back and confidently declared my earlier post incorrect, and cited Mythbusters as authority for his position.

Mythbusters disproved that. They managed to get adam to bite him, and it broke the skin, but it is a complete fallacy that the venom is extremely toxic. They are pretty much the least dangerous.
My response was not intended to be cruel or harsh, and I don't think it was. Whatever it was, Nick invited it. Being a college student, he should certainly get into the habit of finding and citing credible sources for the assertions he makes. As much fun as MB can be, it's not credible authority for declarations like we're talking about here.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Jeez!!! what a bunch of Panty Waists, freaking over a spider
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah, especially when I've got these in my back yard
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Redback-Spider

and my neighbours all have these
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Funnel-web-Spiders-group

funnelwebs... eew. now that's a spider i am afraid of.

also, its venom is only toxic to primates... interesting for a spider evolved on a continent with no primates. domestic pets can get bitten with no effect... unless you have a pet monkey.

just found out we have a funnelweb of our own up here, the northern rivers funnelweb with a body of 5cm... far out.

Last edited:
Regarding Mythbusters, I do feel they are entertaining, however, I lost all "respect" for the validity of the show when they claimed and "demonstrated" that a high-powered rifle bullet fired into the air did not retain enough velocity comming down to kill someone. Tell that to a friend of my Father's who in the 60's in Detroit had a buddy killed because of an accidental discharge of a hunting rifle thru the roof of his buddies house, the slug came back down Thru the roof, and killed a family member.

As for that Spider?? If I couldn't readily and safely shoot it, I would beat, stomp, or spray it to death and then some in short order. Don't like them, never will. Snakes on the other hand dont bother me in the least.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That's why I tolerate a cat in the family.

They destroy funnelwebs

That's why I appreciate the Pacific Ocean.

Ten thousand miles of churning salt water between me and the nearest funnelweb. . .
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back