I bought a Wix XP for a 5th gen 4runner.

I always have good experience with regular wix oil filter for my 4runner, I normally run them for 7500 miles for every oil change. They can go easily for 10,000 miles. Rockauto has a WIX XP filter for 5th gen 4runner, so I bought it for my next oil change. It looks similar to the Fram Ultra synthetic XG10158 but I was disappointed to see the same nitrile O-rings ( that comes with regular WIX filter) instead of silicon O-rings. Is it normal to have same nitrile o-rings with the "upgrade" oil filter? I think I will stick with regular WIX or toyota oem filters.

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_090132827.jpg
    IMG_20230114_090132827.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20230114_090113332.jpg
    IMG_20230114_090113332.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 85
I use Viton o-ring seals. Silicone is just so yesterday and pathetic.

If it doesn't leak, don't worry about it. Nitrile is fine. This is a single use disposable o-ring seal and not some lifetime seal, and not an ADBV requires some flexibility with time.

BTW, unless you taste test that o-ring, you don't know if its nitrile, viton, silicone, or AEM... as all can be black.

Is that a metal wire backed or plastic meshed filter media?

I use Viton o-ring seals. Silicone is just so yesterday and pathetic.

If it doesn't leak, don't worry about it. Nitrile is fine. This is a single use disposable o-ring seal and not some lifetime seal, and not an ADBV requires some flexibility with time.

BTW, unless you taste test that o-ring, you don't know if its nitrile, viton, silicone, or AEM... as all can be black.

Is that a metal wire backed or plastic meshed filter media?
It has plastic mesh backing like the fram ultra.

Plastic mesh backing is like the Purolator Boss.... hint hint
Fram Ultra used a metal wire backing mesh until they swapped to cellulose as a form of support.

I guess MH is doing some consolidation. Have seen the XP can filters with wire and plastic mesh backing in the same PN(older vs newer stock), so there is a media change happening. And, your cartridge verifies the change. Plastic mesh is the latest/greatest from Purolator.

I always have good experience with regular wix oil filter for my 4runner, I normally run them for 7500 miles for every oil change. They can go easily for 10,000 miles. Rockauto has a WIX XP filter for 5th gen 4runner, so I bought it for my next oil change. It looks similar to the Fram Ultra synthetic XG10158 but I was disappointed to see the same nitrile O-rings ( that comes with regular WIX filter) instead of silicon O-rings. Is it normal to have same nitrile o-rings with the "upgrade" oil filter? I think I will stick with regular WIX or toyota oem filters.

i chose Fram Ultra/Titanium for my 4Runner because of this chart:

Attachments

• Efficiency Compairson Graph Pic 2.jpeg
    Efficiency Compairson Graph Pic 2.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 234
"... I was disappointed to see the same nitrile O-rings ( that comes with regular WIX filter) instead of silicon O-rings. Is it normal to have same nitrile o-rings with the "upgrade" oil filter? I think I will stick with regular WIX or toyota oem filters.
Nitrile O-Rings for oil canister filter housings have served fine on millions of European engines for decades. They aren't know to fail because of being Nitrile.
Viton is the choice for diesel fuel filters that might see biodiesel mixes because biodiesel eats Nitrile and Butyl rubber. But it isn't necessary on oil filters. Nor is silicone.

Nitrile O-Rings for oil canister filter housings have served fine on millions of European engines for decades. They aren't know to fail because of being Nitrile.
Viton is the choice for diesel fuel filters that might see biodiesel mixes because biodiesel eats Nitrile and Butyl rubber. But it isn't necessary on oil filters. Nor is silicone.
Based on the information given by Wix, Wix XP uses Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (HNBR). May be a chemist can explain if HNBR is better than Nitrile or Viton material.

What a great graph, thank you for posting it! It shows how Fram really has their act together on product performance and value for the end customer. That Fram Ultraguard is $9.29, made in the USA and it is beating out all the others that are from $5.02 to $6.70 more in price, 54% to 72% more. A real testament to both their product engineering, manufacturing engineering and sourcing disciplines.

Back