I blame BITOG (and need counseling)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I saw BITOG I never had more than 1 case of oil on hand. Now I've got nearly 150 quarts and my wife and friends think there is something wrong with me. Do I keep my addiction a secret from now on or just make them feel like they are the ones that haven't seen the light?

My wife says "I won't have my freedom long if I keep this up"
shocked.gif
. Now I resort to sneaking my oil in. I only have about 50 Qts, not as big as yours or any body else here. I suggest you watch out for the men in white
hide.gif

I agree. With PP on sale for $.99 after rebate, I will have a significant stash in the near future . (With the help of some friends
grin.gif
)

Up until I started on this site, I would go to quick lubes for oil changes and thought "all oil is the same."

14 qts of Redline and 37 qts PP as of today. With the latest PP sale I should go over 100qts total within next couple of weeks.

MMM no, its a habbit or obbssesion, thats all. I do the same thing from time to time, bt only with oils like Havoline that are being discontinued or re formulated, stock on the good stuff before its gone forever! Since i joined this forum, that bug got me too lol, I have around 50 quarts stashed in a slide door closet in a room temperature room, free from cold and moisture, and have also bought a plastic 4 tier rack to store them on:)
I wouldn necessarily blame BITOG for it, as maybe its jsut a human thing, something inside us we have, thats all. No different than shopping. Like everyone else, you like what you see, BUT have the option, no matter how bad you want it, to turn and walk away.:) Life goes on man; )
HEY!! cant say you wont run out of oil when you need it!!!

Quote:

My wife says "I won't have my freedom long if I keep this up"
shocked.gif
. Now I resort to sneaking my oil in. I only have about 50 Qts, not as big as yours or any body else here. I suggest you watch out for the men in white
hide.gif

You are the only wed person I know of who didn't lose a percentage of your freedom when marrying.
dunno.gif

I have to confess...Uh, I'm an oilandfilterholic. I can't seem to control my compulsion. It's the new year. I resolve to control my habit...Oh what the #@$%!. Give me 20 quarts of Amsoil XL 5W-20 and a case of EaO13s...
bop.gif

I've been stashing oil for years. When you find a good (sometimes give-away) price, go for it. Its not like you'll never use it. When prices are high, with no deals to be had, the stash shrinks. When deals and steals abound, it grows.
If you are like me, the wife will appreciate that you have probably saved the family thousands of dollars in maintenance and repair expenses over the years by doing your own work. The stash is just a way of obtaining an inventory of oil at low cost.

You have nothing to worry about, yet. I just got another 24 quarts on New Years Eve, .75 each, to add to the 450 or so I already have. I'm really down to about 400 because I gave Christmas gifts in the form of nice cards and "coupons" for changes to family and friends with instructions to schedule time with me so that I can change oil, and then BBQ or picnic with them. I may have a problem, you don't.

Like gedcruise, I too buy the sales and my significant other appreciates the thrifty way I maintain cars and do oil changes for her friends. (Her friends pay me in chocolate and dinner).

But you do need counseling. I heard from this board that the price of motor oil may drop in the near future. So hold off on buying any more.

We don't get good deals on oil here in Detroit. Anything around $1.50 is considered a good price. All the deals seem to be in California and the South. My stash is around 90 quarts.

How much money would one save if one hoarded cheap oil?
Let's say the normal price of oil is $3 per quart and the blowout price is $0.75. If one changed 5 quarts of oil on one car that drove 15k miles per year every 5k miles, one would save $33.75 (3(5(3-0.75))) per year. Nothing to scoff at. But it does take space and effort...

Im starting to learn it's not worth it to keep more than a years worth of oil, because there's always going to be another once-in-a-lifetime deal. Plus, if you're stocked up for the next, say, 5 years, that's 5 less excuses to not take a trip to the local AAP or AZ.

I would stop hoarding especially if your married. you should have seen the comments I got when I moved last year and the in laws helped. "20 boxes of oil!"
laugh.gif

Quote:

I would stop hoarding especially if your married. you should have seen the comments I got when I moved last year and the in laws helped. "20 boxes of oil!"
laugh.gif

I would of moved those 20 boxes prior to the in-laws arriving. Reason-being is I would be afraid any of the in-laws would drop a box or two.
laugh.gif

Quote:

I've been stashing oil for years. When you find a good (sometimes give-away) price, go for it. Its not like you'll never use it. When prices are high, with no deals to be had, the stash shrinks. When deals and steals abound, it grows.
If you are like me, the wife will appreciate that you have probably saved the family thousands of dollars in maintenance and repair expenses over the years by doing your own work. The stash is just a way of obtaining an inventory of oil at low cost.

cheers.gif
bowdown2.gif
thumbsup.gif

Could not have said it better!

Ditto for me. I've always had a stash and same about when prices are high the stash gets a little low.

Can't beat Pennzoil, Castrol GTX, QS or Chevron for well under a buck a quart!
drool.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

(Since the sticky for how to edit is missing)
mad.gif

The only thing my wife gets upset about is the cost of the UOAS....
smirk.gif

Cheers, bill
patriot.gif

I just got up to 20 quarts today and was feeling a bit silly for having so much. Now I remember that no matter how much I have, there's always someone with more.

All
bowdown2.gif
the stashers!

If your wife has difficulty understanding your fetish with oil just sit her down in front of the computer and show her some of the filth that people are into these days. Ask her which she prefers to be a major part of your life.

What ya need to do is break the stash up, don't keep it all in one place. A box under here, a jug behind this...
Or start going to 12-step.
The important thing is to not feel guilty, it's not your fault. You just know good value when you see it...
crackmeup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back