I blame BITOG (and need counseling)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Im starting to learn it's not worth it to keep more than a years worth of oil, because there's always going to be another once-in-a-lifetime deal.

Never more than 2 cases ahead for any one vehicle. Heck is not the oil aisle "halllowed ground"
driving.gif

Quote:

I don't stock too far ahead on filters as I do on oil. What if you were to lose the car in a crash or something? At least my oil is appropriate for nearly all mt vehicles.

Since I service three vehicles that take the exact same filter, this is not a problem for me.

This is probably true for a lot of BITOG'ers.

Ford guys probably use a lot of FL820S Motorcraft filters since many of the V6 and V8 engines take these.

Toyota only has a few filters, and I think they are still able to use the same filter in the Camry, Corolla and Scion I4 engines.

This would be tough for the folks who have a wide variety of carmakers.

However, most parts stores will take them back and let you trade for what you currently need.

Oh yeah, fuel additive. I have:

3.5 gallons Schaeffers Neutra 131
7 pints Redline SI-1
4 pints Valvoline Synpower Fuel Injector Cleaner
3 12-oz of fuel system cleaner by Valvoline (forget the brand)

The lube aisle does have a strange sort of attraction come to think of it...I felt it last wk after I walked across the parking lot to WM after work to grab a hot coffee. I grew curious to take a look at what was "new" and familiarize myself with the objects of discussion around here before. I walked away a 5-qt jug of GTX for
I guess one cringes to think of what "harm" might be going on and so attempts to limit such thought of abuse any way they thing/believe possible, yet to still utilize the vehicle as intended. Fear it is I sense, but change is inevitable - I didn't think I would be typing this when I got out of bed this morning!

I feel your anx'ed BITOG members, and yes, things could be a lot worse than collecting oil and filters, and keeping engines/vehicle in good working order for you and yours.

One year ago, I never thought about stocking up on oil -- just go down to Walmart and pick up a 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 5w40 every 10k miles.

Then Mobil and Walmart started playing games, and I actually bought some other brands like Elf and Lubro-Moly before I decided my TDI engine really was fond of the Delvac.

I thought it was a little bit crazy to buy 30 quarts of the discontinued Truck&SUV, but felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

Then somebody mentioned some 5-gallon pails of Delvac 1 5w40 on eBay, and the seller was only 10 miles from my home.

So now I have 20 quarts of T&SUV, 5 liters of Elf, 5 liters of Lubro-Moly, and 25 gallons (100 quarts) of Delvac 1 (CI-4). 130 quarts altogether, and I only own one car that takes 5 quarts every 10k miles.

I've got buyers for a few of the 5-gallon pails. Or I just keep it all and don't buy any more oil for the next 260k miles.

I just was on an oil buying bender. Bought 9 qts Amsoil, 48 qts Maxlife, and 2 gallons Valvoline Premium Blue so far this year, most of it over the last four days. Up to around 185 quarts. At the same time, I am extending oil change intervals, so need/use less oil.

I have been fighting the urge to do oil changes on my two vehicles. They are approximately around 4k but i'm trying soooo hard to make it 5k. It is VERY difficult when you have 200 quarts in the basement
grin.gif

With all the new filters I got, these oil changes are costing me around $5.50 (6 quarts oil & tax included).

It's more tempting to do an oil change when you pay so little for quality oil and filters
grin.gif

Quote:

Has anyone even found any discounted Havoline? No luck in my erea. It is actually selling out at full price everywhere around here. Is it fear taking hold of people that lurk on this site?
shocked.gif
dunno.gif

Yes, at a local Fred Meyer (popular out west). Havoline was 50% off, including synthetic Havoline. This just happens to be my first foray into being a stasher.
patriot.gif

I now am in possession!!! of 77 quarts , of 5w 30 old form,ular havoline:) adn 45 quarts of havoline 10w 30, and and have 9 quarts of chevron supreme 5w 30, and 8 5-quart sized bottles, of older formula, SM rated, havoline 10w 30,a dn 5 of 5w 30:)

Hey Paul:

I used to spend a lot of time on this forum, and I participated quite a bit on a Suzuki auto forum and an acoustic guitar forum. I found that when I did so, I really started to worry about my cars more, and started to become more dissatisfied with my musical gear and playing. I started hoarding oil and filters, second-guessing my choices, and buying new/more guitars and equipment in search of that elusive "Holy Grail" of tone that nobody will ever find. (A co-worker started participating in the Les Paul electric guitar forum and wound up buying about $10,000 in guitars he could not afford over the next couple of years.)

I think that would be called mimetic behavior . . . We are hard-wired to pick up on the attitudes and emotions of those around us. When I stopped participating in the forums for a while, my attitudes returned normal and my overall satisfaction level went up again. My oil stash is cut in half (used a bunch and re-sold some to my guitar-hoarding co-worker) and I am enjoying my cars and the tone of my instruments again.

I had used the last oil filter in my stash for my Nissan, and came here a couple of weeks ago to look for news on sales and rebates . . . and started to do some lurking.

I bought a couple of Total Grip filters on sale for the Nissan beater-car yesterday, but found myself tempted to buy a couple of cases of oil while I was there . . . and maybe a few more filters for my other cars . . . maybe I should switch to synthetic . . . and PureOne filters . . .or maybe Wix is better . . . but then again SuperTech is a really good value . . . well, any on-sale SM oil is OK . . . but maybe not as good as Havoline or TropArtic blend . . . and certainly not as good as Amsoil or Redline . . . but that would be overkill for the cars I drive . . . but I do need them to last a long time . . . unless I decide to trade them in at 100k miles anyway. . . but what if I can't afford to? . . . they're going to rust out anyway . . . unless . . .

I think I need to go away again before it gets really expensive. I wish you well.

Peace to you,

Al
coffeetime.gif

What day and time does the support group want to meet? How many steps should we have in our program?

BITOG'ers will soon have more oil reserves than OPEC!

We will not re-live the '70s again.

4 cases of PP
5 cases of Hav
1 case of TropArt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back