I am finding sports more and more difficult to give a hoot about ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finding sports more enjoyable.
Those worried about politics in sports are being influenced by people that want that to be the narrative.
And frankly i'm not sure what you're even referring to. The whole kneeling thing was years ago, and much ado about nothing.

Go watch little house on the prairie, no one cares.

Racism and sexism exist as categories of the mind and are in fact political issues, such as the promotion of critical race theory and radical feminism. Now you can suggest that they are matters that fall under the category of the First Amendment but again that makes them political issues if you are referring to personal freedoms.

If history has proven anything it is that the tolerance of good intentions usually leads to the tyranny of good intentions. Sports should be independent of politics and those involved in professional or collegiate sports should not use that as a medium to grandstand for their chosen political ideologies, period. I have attempted to tolerate it but it has become intolerable, by not giving my time, attention, and money to it I am doing my part to not advance this nonsense.
That's your opinion and of course you are entitled to it.
Public figures, including sports figures, are entitled to their's as well.
And in many cases, they are risking their careers; perhaps many millions of dollars. That's guts.
Much safer to "shut up and dribble", right?

The reaction is simple. Modern sportsball as mass entertainment with big bucks behind it has no real precedent in human history. The opportunity cost, meaning we're not funding things that would be of far more benefit to everyone because money is poured into sportsball, is huge and likewise unprecedented. When you throw money at uni athletics while STEM majors drop out for lack of funds, your priorities are really off.

Athletes being paid millions to throw or catch a ball are not found outside the US and Western Europe. Elsewhere, uni/college sports are not the big deal they are in the US.

Even "conservative capitalists" can recognize the real problems of opportunity costs and the need to think about the greater good. Sportsball is to those over 40 what incessant playing of video games is to those younger.
Yes, sports is a big part of the entertainment industry in certain parts of the world. The pearl clutching that all that money would be better spent on other things seems odd though - do you have the same feelings about television, motion pictures, the music industry, cable TV talk shows, luxury cars, etc etc etc? What's your favored type of entertainment (aside from BITOG 😁) Surely your outrage isn't limited to sports? We could spend all that money on cancer research and feeding the homeless, clean water access in the 3rd world, etc?

jeff

My “kneelers” reply got deleted because “we don’t talk like that on BITOG”
My apologies for offending anyone by saying the first thing that came to mind for those who choose to kneel when our national anthem is played. It was probably brought on by my memories of 9/11, digging for survivors, and only finding smashed bodies, parts of bodies, but never anyone alive.
I served an entire career helping those in need, and I didn’t give a **** what color they were… that’s called equality.
Now I’m sick from 9/11, but who cares, it was 20 years ago, and now everyone has forgotten, or just doesn’t give a ****.
In the mean time, I’ve watched 20 years go by while a continuous flow of caskets arrived from overseas with that same flag draped over the coffins. Where were the kneelers then?
This country is far from perfect, but sure as **** it’s the best thing going, otherwise so many people still wouldn’t be risking everything trying to get here.
So, please excuse my rant, from someone who spent a lifetime of public service, placing my hand on the Bible on three separate occasions while swearing to uphold the constitution and help others so help me God.
In the end, I’ll always feel the same, the kneelers can all go to…
My apologies

Last edited:
I used to enjoy watching sports as a escape from the everyday troubles. For a few hours it was team versus team and city versus city or state versus state.

Now there is little loyalty to the city or state from the athletes. They play for themselves. The idea of a team is fractured. Add in politics and the latest agendas and that escape is no longer possible.

Add in the cost of attending a game or even watching one now as most games are pay television and it should be no wonder why people are shunning sports.

A far cry from the days of Chamberlain and West.

For personal reasons I'll not discuss, I don't watch pro sports. I used to, but many things in the last several years have me no longer watching any of the major pro sports (football, baseball, basket ball, hockey, racing, etc). 'Nuf said.

Now, I'm finding myself pissed off about college sports. This year, my alma mater is playing in a football bowl game; doesn't happen that often. Now that I'm retired, I've got the time and money to go watch my team play in the bowl game. So I bought tix, and even got the official pre-game tailgate package, etc. It's not a cheap day; game tix, tailgate tix, travel and hotel. I'm all ramped up and excited. Or, at least I was ...

I've just now learned that some of the key players in this regular season have decided to sit the game out, for the purpose of protecting themselves for the draft (avoiding potential injuries).

On one hand, I do understand their concern. If they are reasonably expecting to be drafted (which a couple are certainly worthy), I can appreciate their interest in protecting their own "brand" by not risking being hurt, potentially with a career ending event. I get it.

OTOH, I paid for tix to watch the WHOLE team play, in hopes that we might actually win the bowl game. I don't really appreciate the effect this has; I'm now counting on some shadow-roster team to pull a miracle out of their behinds.

This is the trickle-down perversion that pro-sports now has. The fans of the team get screwed. I root for my school; my entire team. I don't just pay to watch Mr. Jones or Mr. Smith play well; I want the entire team to play for the collective effect. And that's what I pay for when I buy tix and merchandise.

What makes me even more angry is that these players took compensation for their efforts, but then walk away when they are needed most.
- most all players are on a partial or total scholarship; rare is the walk-on in Div 1
- some of them even leave before they graduate, which cheats someone else out of a diploma who would have played and stayed for the career AFTER sports
- now some are going to sit on a bench and watch the school's chances to win evaporate, the very school that gave them a chance at being a star

To some degree, I blame both the short and long term effects on the school. I confess I'm not familiar with all the NCAA rules and regs, but I'd like to see the ability of a school to demand a full season's play for that scholaraship. If you decide to sit out the post season, then you owe the entire year's tuition/room/board back. Unfortunately, if the person does go pro, that's really not a deterrent as they can easily afford a year's pay-back with a big draft incentive. Futher, I think the school purposely held off on announcing these players decision to sit it out; they know darn good and well if three or four prime players don't step on the field, that will reduce both tix sales and even might affect the TV contract $$$. Most folks immediatley rush to get tix as soon as the bowl schedules are announced. But if we had been made aware that these prime players were going to be no-shows, I for one would have probably stayed home. Well, lesson learned, for sure. It may be another decade until my team gets another bowl bid, but I won't get suckered into going. By that time, I'll probalby be so pissed at college sports it won't matter.

And if this is allowed to happen, why doesn't it seep into stuff like basketball? Imagine what the NCAA big-dance would be like if every decent team had several kids sit out the tournament because of a draft potential? Why play the tournament if some of the best players would take a seat? It's almost as if there's two teams; the regular season team and the post-season team. There's no assurance that the former will be the whole of the later. And the BIG losers are the fans who pay in both cash and emotions spent on years, even decades, of loyalty, only to watch some 20 year old upset the entire roster when the chips are down.

I quit watching pro sports because of selfish players, poor sportsmanship, etc.
College sports is quickly becoming something I'm losing interest in for the same reasons.

Well, that's my rant for the day.

Dave.
Check out the Texas High school Championship games this week on Fox Sports Southwest. These kids can play! Direct TV channel 676 down here.

My “kneelers” reply got deleted because “we don’t talk like that on BITOG”
My apologies for offending anyone by saying the first thing that came to mind for those who choose to kneel when our national anthem is played. It was probably brought on by my memories of 9/11, digging for survivors, and only finding smashed bodies, parts of bodies, but never anyone alive.
I served an entire career helping those in need, and I didn’t give a **** what color they were… that’s called equality.
Now I’m sick from 9/11, but who cares, it was 20 years ago, and now everyone has forgotten, or just doesn’t give a ****.
In the mean time, I’ve watched 20 years go by while a continuous flow of caskets arrived from overseas with that same flag draped over the coffins. Where were the kneelers then?
This country is far from perfect, but sure as **** it’s the best thing going, otherwise so many people still wouldn’t be risking everything trying to get here.
So, please excuse my rant, from someone who spent a lifetime of public service, placing my hand on the Bible on three separate occasions while swearing to uphold the constitution and help others so help me God.
In the end, I’ll always feel the same, the kneelers can all go to…
My apologies
What do you think was the intention behind those athletes taking a knee? A snub to you people like you? No, I'm sure all those athletes would have nothing but the greatest respect for what you've done in service for your country. People like you make a nation great and they would agree with that, but I think the take a knee protest was that not all people treat all people equally, and that reducing inequality wasn't being made a national priority. Taking a knee was their way to protest that the existing situation isn't good enough for some groups of people and its time to acknowledge that and change it.

What do you think was the intention behind those athletes taking a knee? A snub to you people like you? I'm sure all those athletes would have nothing but the greatest respect for what you've done in service for your country. People like you make a nation great and they would agree with that, but I think the take a knee protest was that not all people treat all people equally, and that reducing inequality wasn't being made a national priority. Taking a knee was their way to protest that the existing situation isn't good enough for some groups of people and its time to acknowledge that and change it.
It seems some allow others to sing and dance for them, but peaceful protest? No way!
By the way, kneeling is a sign of respect. I kneel at all my Uncles grave sites, as my Dad, 6 uncles on my Mother's side and 2 on my wife's side enlisted in WW II. Uncle Terry was a Marine War Hero who fought in the Guadalcanal Campaign. My SIL's father fought at Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. I honor them all. The Greatest Generation.

Last edited:
I stopped watching sports a few years ago once it became political. Sadly, everything is political these days.. Sometimes you just need an escape and simply want to enjoy some sports...no more. I realize people agree or disagree, or whatever. But when I work everyday I don't wear politics on my sleeve for my customers - I provide a product they want. If you want politics, watch the news.. So, in summary, those who agree with it are free to watch sports just as those who disagree are free to switch the channel.

Last edited:
Regarding kneeling, the hypocrisy is staggering.

I recall athletes and coaches being FINED or suspended for "unacceptable on court/field behavior," for things like an unapproved (meaning, the league did not get a cut of money) uniform items, and wasn't it Tebow and also a college coach who got in trouble for kneeling for prayer? Apparently the leagues don't approve of that freedom of expression...

Anyone care to defend the hypocrisy of allowing athletes to disrespect the UNITED STATES flag with impunity? By turning their backs on it or taking similar actions. If that isn't enough to make you stop watching and prevent your kids from tuning in, I don't know what they'd have to do.

Professionals in other careers, making far less money, lose their jobs for things like DUIs, assaults, felonies, murders, etc. In the pro sports it seems like a badge of honor. I refuse to support such a corrupt entity. YMMV. I sleep good at night.

I used to enjoy watching sports as a escape from the everyday troubles. For a few hours it was team versus team and city versus city or state versus state.

Now there is little loyalty to the city or state from the athletes. They play for themselves. The idea of a team is fractured. Add in politics and the latest agendas and that escape is no longer possible.

Add in the cost of attending a game or even watching one now as most games are pay television and it should be no wonder why people are shunning sports.

A far cry from the days of Chamberlain and West.

I did go to a few Dolphin and UM Hurricane games in the Orange Bowl back in the 80’s and 90’s.

Things were a lot different back then.

I'll try to keep it brief. I can appreciate a fan being upset/angry that some college players choose to sit out a final bowl game. Especially where money is paid and the expectation is that all the players will play.

Otoh, football is a very dangerous 'contact sport' and it only takes one hit to end a career. A career that tends to be relatively short anyway. So, if a player chooses not risk potential injury and a loss of future earnings in a generally meaningless bowl game, I get it.

As for the analogy to it not happening basketball, not apt. While contact may occur, unlike football, it is not defined by or an essential part of the game. In fact, there many of the rules designed to penalize contact.

Last edited:
Otoh, football is a very dangerous 'contact sport' and it only takes one hit to end a career. A career that tends to be relatively short anyway. So, if a player chooses not risk potential injury and a loss of future earnings in a generally meaningless bowl game, I get it.

Maybe they should pick another sport?

I suggest this one.

What do you think was the intention behind those athletes taking a knee? A snub to you people like you? No, I'm sure all those athletes would have nothing but the greatest respect for what you've done in service for your country. People like you make a nation great and they would agree with that, but I think the take a knee protest was that not all people treat all people equally, and that reducing inequality wasn't being made a national priority. Taking a knee was their way to protest that the existing situation isn't good enough for some groups of people and its time to acknowledge that and change it.
Taking a knee is their right for sure and so it is also the right of people to criticize the rich little elite children that play with a ball for a living. Hypocrites in every sense of the word, don’t kid yourself, it’s nothing but “showmanship” for attention.
They know it, the public sees how foolish and hypocritical it is and why you see less and less of it. Why? People start to question why don’t they use their multi million dollar salaries to help correct what they think is wrong within the greatest nation on earth. 🙃
The little sports players never had it so good riding up to the most elite income levels in the USA and world for playing with a ball and no education.

Taking a knee is their right for sure and so it is also the right of people to criticize the rich little elite children that play with a ball for a living. Hypocrites in every sense of the word, don’t kid yourself, it’s nothing but “showmanship” for attention.
They know it, the public sees how foolish and hypocritical it is and why you see less and less of it. Why? People start to question why don’t they use their multi million dollar salaries to help correct what they think is wrong within the greatest nation on earth. 🙃
The little sports players never had it so good riding up to the most elite income levels in the USA and world for playing with a ball and no education.
A certain player risked his $114M contract for his peaceful protest. That's some pretty expensive attention. Oh yeah, plus bonuses. Average over $20M per year, and back loaded! That's putting your $$ where your mouth is.

I recall athletes and coaches being FINED or suspended for "unacceptable on court/field behavior," for things like an unapproved (meaning, the league did not get a cut of money) uniform items, and wasn't it Tebow and also a college coach who got in trouble for kneeling for prayer? Apparently the leagues don't approve of that freedom of expression...

Anyone care to defend the hypocrisy of allowing athletes to disrespect the UNITED STATES flag with impunity? By turning their backs on it or taking similar actions. If that isn't enough to make you stop watching and prevent your kids from tuning in, I don't know what they'd have to do.

Professionals in other careers, making far less money, lose their jobs for things like DUIs, assaults, felonies, murders, etc. In the pro sports it seems like a badge of honor. I refuse to support such a corrupt entity. YMMV. I sleep good at night.
Tim Tebow was a great guy, a decent guy. He did not lose his job for his peaceful, personal acts. He lost his job because he wasn't good enough.

Taking a knee is their right for sure
Is it their right? I'm not so sure. It's all whether their contracts allow it.

The leagues are private companies and, like most, can restrict your speech at work or on employee property. So, they do surrender 1A protections in a sense, at work on work property. It depends on if their contracts allow such behavior, or the league allows it.

I suspect it violates terms of both, but I also suspect the league has turned a blind eye to the behavior.

Tim Tebow was a great guy, a decent guy. He did not lose his job for his peaceful, personal acts. He lost his job because he wasn't good enough.
Don't know, don't care. His stats show he was average. But many credible sources have said it's not because of his performance, but instead b/c he was a outspoken Christian.

I'm confident some team in the NFL could have used him, since there are a lot of really bad QBs out there. But again, I don't know, and don't care whatsoever.

Haven't consistently watched pro sports since my first child was born 18 year ago and I'm still alive and thriving.

Could be wrong but I don't recall tebow ever getting in "trouble" with the NFL for kneeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back