I am finding sports more and more difficult to give a hoot about ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At my house I never watch sports. Could care less about the teams, games, or players for the most part.

Will I go to a game, or a party with a game on - sure, Just dont care enough to spend my time watching it, I have a ton of things to do.

I'm in the Tv business - I only care about sports from a purely production and post standpoint.

It's all about the money. It's been that way for a long time. I am a little surprised that you are taken aback. Athletes are prized from high school on. I remember when Steve Bartkowski signed with Cal. He started driving a shiny new Musting Mach 1. Yes, it's worse than it was and will only get more so.

I got disillusioned when Rickey Henderson threatened to sit because Jose Canseco signed a bigger contract than his. And they were only making a little over a million in those days.

A sports writer chided Babe Ruth about his salary being higher than the President's. Ruth responded, "How many home runs did he hit?"

The schools pander to the atheletes because if they don't, they will sign elsewhere. "You wanna sit this one out? Sure, no biggie."
Integridy is a rare thing in sports. Very few will do the right thing if there is a chance of hurting their pocketbook.
Why? Because they can.
College athletics lost me with title IX. I experienced it - don’t resource competitive men’s teams, while giving uncompetitive women’s teams tons of resources and more importantly, scholarships, for poor performance. Maybe I’ve softened a bit since I’m a father and have the opportunity for female scholarships…

And this was at a school without a huge football or basketball budget. Imagine what that in-kind looks like at a school that actually makes money on sports.

Personally I think scholarships should be for academics, not sports. The going in assumption should be that you do sports because you love it. Maybe they’ll help with gear, or food, or whatnot, but that’s about it. Multi-million dollar coaching and huge sports budgets? No thanks. Especially when so few schools get a real monetary return on most any sports, and never will…

I’ve lost interest as well. The only things I cared about were MLB and NASCAR but I don’t care for either now. This year the only baseball I watched was the World Series and no NASCAR at all. Probably the same reasons you have just don’t want to list them here. I’ve moved on to other things like more into cars and stuff like that. Never understood any other sport and find them boring so I don’t think I could get into them.

It is a shame but as you say, its all about the money and players being treated like royalty from the moment they show any real potential. In the 60's and 70's I was a real MLB fan but that ended when you had to take a loan out to take the family to a game. I switched to minor league baseball, but now even the AAA teams are starting to gouge fans so you have to be near a AA team to find an old fashioned game with a small stadium.

I've been strongly affiliated (long story) with a youth sports league for decades. I appreciate the benefit to kids, the exercise, the socialization, the filling their free time, the teamwork mentality.

At the same time, pro sports are an abomination and I'd just as soon have every single person who decided their "career" in life was an athlete, [removed]

It is an abomination to mankind to make playing games, a profession. This isn't just about sports, it includes video games, social manipulation scammer games, and some other wastes of mankind. Some will argue, this is entertainment and it's worth whatever the market will bear. This is true, and why this abomination persists, just shows how morally corrupt society is, people of low IQ who only have the primitive parts of their brain working properly so can't find a better way to be entertained.

Before someone just decides I'm a geek or whatever, I played 3 sports in high school and was good at them. It's not about geek vs jock at all. I was the jock, but recognized how destructively this impacts society.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a shame but as you say, its all about the money and players being treated like royalty from the moment they show any real potential. In the 60's and 70's I was a real MLB fan but that ended when you had to take a loan out to take the family to a game. I switched to minor league baseball, but now even the AAA teams are starting to gouge fans so you have to be near a AA team to find an old fashioned game with a small stadium.
In Florida spring training last spring, they only allowed 2500 people in a stadium. So the teams charged accordingly to make up the loss in revenue. Cheapest ticket for the Red Sox and Twins was $95 to sit in the outfield. Then they only play the young guys no one has heard of. No thanks.
How a you doing Sam?

I still love all sports. From watching toddlers at a neighborhood field playing soccer to Formula1, NFL and the NBA etc. Can't get enough.

The OP is starting to understand how those of us who never were obsessed with sports feel.

Forty years ago I had the pleasure of seeing jocks who couldn't read get full athletic scholarships to uni while, as an honors student taking engineering as a major, I couldn't get squat. At the time there was a lot of bleating about huge critical shortages of what are now called STEM personnel.

In the end I left uni after one year, despite a B average, when all my financial aid and summer jobs fell through. That was the early 1980s recession, and it was a doozy. But the jocks got all their free rides.

As a society we need to ask ourselves what is best for us to subsidize in the long run. Who potentially contributes more to society, a person who could be an engineer or scientist working on disease cures, new energy sources, better foods, more tech to make things better? Or someone who just happens to throw a ball really, really well?

And before someone brings up the subject: uni athletic departments almost all lose money after you remove mandatory student fees that support athletics. At many unis those fees can be in the thousands of dollars a year included with other costs. Even TV royalties for airing games often don't make as much for the school.

It's intensely annoying to see alumni contribute big bucks to uni football teams while doing nothing for struggling STEM departments and students. So I'm glad some others are seeing the reality.

I know a lot of schools spend way more money on sports than actual education, so I just won't watch sports hoping to do my part to discourage that. To me education is to help someone gain a skill for future employment or if you are well off, solve problems for humanity, not to take money from public resources to entertain the public.

Public Schools do not make money.
Public school is a service to their tax payers. State schools provide education to the children of the tax payers and as a result, should focus on either provide affordable one for more or quality one for the one who work hard to get in and stay in.

I am not paying taxes to watch someone else's son play on TV.

For several of the same reasons as many of you, I don't watch games the way I once did.
We have always watched and attended sporting events when we can. Love MLB & NFL, College, Olympics etc. However, these young players are no longer my hero's as they were when I was TEN. Now, many of them could be my grandchildren. I don't hold them in the high esteem as I would have as a young boy.

Never cared for sports aside from the NBA in the mid 90’s. Specifically the Pacers and Bulls.

What’s happening now just makes me laugh.

I'm not a sports fanatic; I'm not one of those guys who can regurgitate the starting lineup of the the entire NFL, or recite batting averages of players. I've never been like that. I played local team baseball when I was a kid and loved it. I wreslted and played football as a freshman in HS. That was it. I'm not a person who lives/dies by my teams. I don't look down on folks who are die-hard fans; that's great for them. I'm just not one of them.

But these changes in the last decade (probably more, but I was too busy at work to recognize it) in college players is just frustrating to me.

Funny thing is, these savant players whom are legit bound for the pro leagues, are all liars; every one of them. Why do I say that? Because during the regular seasons (especially the ones broadcast regionally or nationally), you'll see them in front of a camera at the end of each game ...
Example 1 -
Sportscaster: "Jim Smith, you played exceptionally well and just set a school record for passing yards. How's it feel to be the new leader?"
Smith: "Well, it's all about the team. We practice hard and we play hard. As a team, we want to excel. When the crowd is into the game it really boosts are energy, too; can't say enough about our fans! I'm just doing my part and the whole team is helping me; I couldn't get anywhere without them. Go Team!"

Example 2 -
Sportscaster: "John Brown, you really lit up the court tonight. How's it feel to be the leading player with double-doubles in the nation right now?"
Brown: "Well, ya know, Coach tells us that if we play hard together as a team, we'll have a shot at being champions. We have some great players around me; I can't do this alone. And the fans are great; they reall support us when things are tough. We gotta keep working together if we want to get to the Dance and do well. It's all about team work."

I can predict with the utmost certainty how every player in front of a camera will talk about his/her "team"; it's all about team work. It's sickening how much they are just programmed like robots to talk Team, Team, Team ...

Until they don't give a darn about their team and care about getting into pro sports. Then it's more of this garbage ...
Sportscaster: Jim Smith has announced that he is not playing in the bowl game for fear of injury and will declare for the NFL draft. In related news, John Brown has elected to forego his Junior year and step into the NBA draft.

So much for the "team" approach. They used the team to step into the spotlight, and took all the help from the team to get to the top of their respective game, but when the team and fans need them most (to play a bowl game or play a Senior year), they're gone. They lie to the camera, and their team, and their fans, just because to say otherwise would be career suicide.

Funny thing is, when they do go pro, they aren't allowed to sit out the post-season play. Imagine if this were the mantra at the pro level.
What if a really outstanding pro player played on mediocre team. The team is a bit above .500 for the year, and will only get into the playoffs by a wildcard game.
- What if Jim Smith said "Ya know, I realize it's the playoffs, but statistically there's a narrow chance that we'll progress to the next game. I don't wanna get hurt in post-season play and so I'm going to sit on the bench until the next season, when I get a chance to continue my stats and hope to renegotiate my already cash-laden contract."
- What if John Brown said "Well, the odds are that we're not going to get far in post-season. Although I'm the league leader in 3-pt shots, I don't see the need to go out and risk injury when I'm hoping to get picked up by a larger franchise; I think I'll sit this post-season out, 'cause it just don't make sense for me to risk it."
I can't imagine that pro sports teams would tolerate this kind of attitude. But pro sports teams actually set the stage for this kind of attitude from their incoming players.

As I said, my alma mater doesn't make the bowl games very often. I didn't go to Ohio State or 'Bama; bowl bids aren't a given for my team. So our fan base is excited for a bowl bid. Until we hear that the team we supported (emotionally and financially) all season long isn't going to have a chance at winning the bowl game because the "star team players" aren't really team players at all; they are self-centered pro-bound robots.

There are a very few notable exceptions; those like David Robinson, Pat Tillman, etc. But they are the exception to the rule. They believed in team and commitment over personal gain. It's not like they didn't get paid well; they did. But that came AFTER they fulfilled their commitments to college, military, etc. They put the team ahead of self.

As I said, I'm about done with all sports. Even the college level is losing my interest due to the pollution and perversion of pro-money tainting the entire process. I realize it's a machine so big that I have no ability to stop it. But that does not reduce my disappointment and disgust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back