I am finding sports more and more difficult to give a hoot about ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
For personal reasons I'll not discuss, I don't watch pro sports. I used to, but many things in the last several years have me no longer watching any of the major pro sports (football, baseball, basket ball, hockey, racing, etc). 'Nuf said.

Now, I'm finding myself pissed off about college sports. This year, my alma mater is playing in a football bowl game; doesn't happen that often. Now that I'm retired, I've got the time and money to go watch my team play in the bowl game. So I bought tix, and even got the official pre-game tailgate package, etc. It's not a cheap day; game tix, tailgate tix, travel and hotel. I'm all ramped up and excited. Or, at least I was ...

I've just now learned that some of the key players in this regular season have decided to sit the game out, for the purpose of protecting themselves for the draft (avoiding potential injuries).

On one hand, I do understand their concern. If they are reasonably expecting to be drafted (which a couple are certainly worthy), I can appreciate their interest in protecting their own "brand" by not risking being hurt, potentially with a career ending event. I get it.

OTOH, I paid for tix to watch the WHOLE team play, in hopes that we might actually win the bowl game. I don't really appreciate the effect this has; I'm now counting on some shadow-roster team to pull a miracle out of their behinds.

This is the trickle-down perversion that pro-sports now has. The fans of the team get screwed. I root for my school; my entire team. I don't just pay to watch Mr. Jones or Mr. Smith play well; I want the entire team to play for the collective effect. And that's what I pay for when I buy tix and merchandise.

What makes me even more angry is that these players took compensation for their efforts, but then walk away when they are needed most.
- most all players are on a partial or total scholarship; rare is the walk-on in Div 1
- some of them even leave before they graduate, which cheats someone else out of a diploma who would have played and stayed for the career AFTER sports
- now some are going to sit on a bench and watch the school's chances to win evaporate, the very school that gave them a chance at being a star

To some degree, I blame both the short and long term effects on the school. I confess I'm not familiar with all the NCAA rules and regs, but I'd like to see the ability of a school to demand a full season's play for that scholaraship. If you decide to sit out the post season, then you owe the entire year's tuition/room/board back. Unfortunately, if the person does go pro, that's really not a deterrent as they can easily afford a year's pay-back with a big draft incentive. Futher, I think the school purposely held off on announcing these players decision to sit it out; they know darn good and well if three or four prime players don't step on the field, that will reduce both tix sales and even might affect the TV contract $$$. Most folks immediatley rush to get tix as soon as the bowl schedules are announced. But if we had been made aware that these prime players were going to be no-shows, I for one would have probably stayed home. Well, lesson learned, for sure. It may be another decade until my team gets another bowl bid, but I won't get suckered into going. By that time, I'll probalby be so pissed at college sports it won't matter.

And if this is allowed to happen, why doesn't it seep into stuff like basketball? Imagine what the NCAA big-dance would be like if every decent team had several kids sit out the tournament because of a draft potential? Why play the tournament if some of the best players would take a seat? It's almost as if there's two teams; the regular season team and the post-season team. There's no assurance that the former will be the whole of the later. And the BIG losers are the fans who pay in both cash and emotions spent on years, even decades, of loyalty, only to watch some 20 year old upset the entire roster when the chips are down.

I quit watching pro sports because of selfish players, poor sportsmanship, etc.
College sports is quickly becoming something I'm losing interest in for the same reasons.

Well, that's my rant for the day.

Dave.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I like arm wrestling is that due to its limited popularity there is less corruption and generally a higher degree of sportsmanship. During the plague arm wrestling has however gained traction and gained an ever increasing number of fans.

It's all about the money. It's been that way for a long time. I am a little surprised that you are taken aback. Athletes are prized from high school on. I remember when Steve Bartkowski signed with Cal. He started driving a shiny new Musting Mach 1. Yes, it's worse than it was and will only get more so.

I got disillusioned when Rickey Henderson threatened to sit because Jose Canseco signed a bigger contract than his. And they were only making a little over a million in those days.

A sports writer chided Babe Ruth about his salary being higher than the President's. Ruth responded, "How many home runs did he hit?"

The schools pander to the atheletes because if they don't, they will sign elsewhere. "You wanna sit this one out? Sure, no biggie."
Integridy is a rare thing in sports. Very few will do the right thing if there is a chance of hurting their pocketbook.
Why? Because they can.

Last edited:
Football is a fairly dangerous sport-literally a player’s next play could be their last. I have a hard time begrudging them wanting to sit out to protect their draft spot, when they’re getting paid with a college education (not much compared to some coach’s salaries!). Guessing, Dave, you’re a Michigan fan? I went to Cincinnati myself, the CFB playoff is a little steep for my blood, but it is not a very common occurrence!

For personal reasons I'll not discuss, I don't watch pro sports. I used to, but many things in the last several years have me no longer watching any of the major pro sports (football, baseball, basket ball, hockey, racing, etc). 'Nuf said.

Now, I'm finding myself pissed off about college sports. This year, my alma mater is playing in a football bowl game; doesn't happen that often. Now that I'm retired, I've got the time and money to go watch my team play in the bowl game. So I bought tix, and even got the official pre-game tailgate package, etc. It's not a cheap day; game tix, tailgate tix, travel and hotel. I'm all ramped up and excited. Or, at least I was ...

I've just now learned that some of the key players in this regular season have decided to sit the game out, for the purpose of protecting themselves for the draft (avoiding potential injuries).

On one hand, I do understand their concern. If they are reasonably expecting to be drafted (which a couple are certainly worthy), I can appreciate their interest in protecting their own "brand" by not risking being hurt, potentially with a career ending event. I get it.

OTOH, I paid for tix to watch the WHOLE team play, in hopes that we might actually win the bowl game. I don't really appreciate the effect this has; I'm now counting on some shadow-roster team to pull a miracle out of their behinds.

This is the trickle-down perversion that pro-sports now has. The fans of the team get screwed. I root for my school; my entire team. I don't just pay to watch Mr. Jones or Mr. Smith play well; I want the entire team to play for the collective effect. And that's what I pay for when I buy tix and merchandise.

What makes me even more angry is that these players took compensation for their efforts, but then walk away when they are needed most.
- most all players are on a partial or total scholarship; rare is the walk-on in Div 1
- some of them even leave before they graduate, which cheats someone else out of a diploma who would have played and stayed for the career AFTER sports
- now some are going to sit on a bench and watch the school's chances to win evaporate, the very school that gave them a chance at being a star

To some degree, I blame both the short and long term effects on the school. I confess I'm not familiar with all the NCAA rules and regs, but I'd like to see the ability of a school to demand a full season's play for that scholaraship. If you decide to sit out the post season, then you owe the entire year's tuition/room/board back. Unfortunately, if the person does go pro, that's really not a deterrent as they can easily afford a year's pay-back with a big draft incentive. Futher, I think the school purposely held off on announcing these players decision to sit it out; they know darn good and well if three or four prime players don't step on the field, that will reduce both tix sales and even might affect the TV contract $$$. Most folks immediatley rush to get tix as soon as the bowl schedules are announced. But if we had been made aware that these prime players were going to be no-shows, I for one would have probably stayed home. Well, lesson learned, for sure. It may be another decade until my team gets another bowl bid, but I won't get suckered into going. By that time, I'll probalby be so pissed at college sports it won't matter.

And if this is allowed to happen, why doesn't it seep into stuff like basketball? Imagine what the NCAA big-dance would be like if every decent team had several kids sit out the tournament because of a draft potential? Why play the tournament if some of the best players would take a seat? It's almost as if there's two teams; the regular season team and the post-season team. There's no assurance that the former will be the whole of the later. And the BIG losers are the fans who pay in both cash and emotions spent on years, even decades, of loyalty, only to watch some 20 year old upset the entire roster when the chips are down.

I quit watching pro sports because of selfish players, poor sportsmanship, etc.
College sports is quickly becoming something I'm losing interest in for the same reasons.

Well, that's my rant for the day.

Dave.
I understand your frustration but this has been going on for quite some time with players electing not to play in bowl games to protect their health/draft status. If I were an elite college player and my team was going to be playing in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl or some other non CFP-game I’d likely sit too. Coaches leave all the time for greener pastures before their bowl game so I can’t fault the players.

It’s all about the individual anymore and not about the team. These athletes get all hyped up and get the big contracts. Look at this Zion guy. The next coming supposedly. Now he is cooked.

Years ago Rick Patino who was an influential coach at UK (University of Kentucky) jumped ship to coach the Boston Celtics. He said the Pros were too full of themselves and went back to coaching college. It's a very fine balance. The amount of College players that get to go pro even for a small time is so infinitesimaly small they want the best chance of being drafted.

I totally get it. The college game is all I follow, quite possibly for the same reasons as you. Look at it this way, my team isn't going bowling well, because they are really bad. I try to look at bowl games as a preview to the upcoming season, represent my alma mater, and whomever plays, well, that's who I'm rooting for.

Go enjoy it, you never know how many more you'll get to see. Just root for the team that is there!

I’m with ya but sadly It’s ALL about the money! The NBA has been raping college basketball for decades and the NCAA has let them get away with it! All these one and done college freshman are just auditioning for the NBA. College football players aren’t allowed to turn pro until they have been out of High School for 3 years and this rule should be applied to college basketball as well, not just football. Multi millionaire college coaches with 7 figure shoe contracts which excludes their huge salaries being paid by tax payers at public supported universities. The last few years I’ve been slowly weaning myself from all sports.

I'm still waiting for the sports bubble to burst
The NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL/MLS are going to find it hard to survive outside of stadiums and IP. Especially in the NFL and MLB’s case, they also depended on cable TV and RSNs to draw in revenue. Sports are expensive for cable and most satellite companies to carry, but the RSNs who are the broadcast partners for many local teams want more every year. Comcast and Charter usually comply(NBC Sports is Comcast, Bally Sports is Charter), DirecTV and Dish Network will usually raise a stink if the RSNs jack up fees.

ESPN might do well off Disney+ and they did ink a deal with UFC to be their exclusive streaming partner. Same thing is happening with the NFL and Amazon - Sunday Ticket was an exclusive to DirecTV - but AT&T balked at the costs to renew it.

With the NCAA’s recent decision to let Division 1 student-athletes seek sponsorships, the college world of sports is gonna look different. There’s already corporate sponsorship at the amateur level and Nike/Under Armour is in bed with many college athletic departments.

Not the same for me either. The steep decline began when players got political during game time.

But I understand your additional frustration with NCAA Football, when players bow out of a Bowl/Playoff game, because of the next level... Not playing their final game or two, should negatively ding the players draft position and be a negative message to the Pro Teams.

Just not the same any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back