Hyundai's 2.4L & 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My aunt has asked me for help searching for a replacement car, as VW is buying back her TDI soon.
So far we have looked at the Hyundai Sonata & Tucson, Honda Accord, and Toyota Avalon & 4Runner. Hyundai Tucson had bad seats. Honda Accord had an incredibly annoying touch screen volume stereo and bad headroom in the front. The Infinity stereo was pretty disappointing too. She liked the 4Runner a lot but it isn't as practical for 20k+ miles a year and not have many features unless the price is stepped up $15K more.

She's still deciding, but it's mostly down to the Sonata and the Avalon. The Sonata was incredibly comfortable, all around really nice car. The Avalon IMO was magnificent. Very comfortable and had loads of power.

Hyundai has some great incentives going on for prior TDI owners. It's their Friends & Family pricing.
Dealer Invoice (includes destination and advertising fee), Minus 3% of MSRP (excludes destination), Minus $1,250 V-Plan Cash, Minus Eligible Current Incentives. The Toyota dealer gave her a price of just under $30k OTD for an Avalon XLE.

So the question is, which engine to choose? She's mainly looking at the "Sport" model and has only driven the 2.4L. It had enough power, but coming from a Turbo diesel it lacks the low end power. The 2.0T I'm assuming would be really nice as far as having enough power.

So does anybody know if the 2.0T engine is prone to problems? Maybe they're ironed out by now. I know they've had the 2.4L for a while now so I assume it's pretty decent.

I have a 2013 Sonata with the 2.4L. What impressed me was how torque rich the engine is. It pulls from 1400 RPM and in my typical drive to work with some fair hills, rarely needs to downshift. The DI seems to give it a diesel like torque advantage.
Just saying don't overlook the 2.4L as in my experience provides plenty of power, low and high in the RPM range.
From what I read, the 2015 and newer 2.4L had the torque curve dropped even lower.
The turbo starts to make good power above 1,700 RPM - you may find the 2.4 better when lower in the RPM range. The 2.0T will feel gutless until the turbo builds enough pressure.

Last edited:
If you need to actually use the power, a larger displacement motor (with inherently higher torque at lower RPM ranges) will probably be better than a turbo model, which are designed to offer good fuel consumption for people who never need the power. If you actually do use the turbocharger, the fuel consumption goes way up.

Having said that, I've not driven either motor you are looking at.

We had a 2014 2.4 Sonata. It only had one issue, with the steering / resolved under warranty. Nice torque for the size and 28 mpg avg.

Our 2.0T has had zero issues, but it's in the Santa Fe. The power is just right but it gets 18 mpg in mostly city driving.

If it were my mom, i'd recommend the Avalon. Better resale value, proven reliability and you are right, it looks handsome and is a very nice inside.

Avalon is my vote.

If your aunt is planning to buy a new Hyundai, then it should not matter. Both are covered under a 10 year 100,000 mi warranty.

I own 3 Hyundai/Kias with 2.0 and 2.4L versions of this engine. All have performed without any problems.

I've owned 3 turbo VW/Audi's, and had no no turbo related problems.

However, turbo engines are:
1. Much more complex
2. Run hot
3. Hard on oil
4. Not recommended for cars making mostly short trips where the engine can not warm up properly

Originally Posted By: knerml
If your aunt is planning to buy a new Hyundai, then it should not matter. Both are covered under a 10 year 100,000 mi warranty.

Yes, but having to go back to the dealer often to get things fixed can be an inconvenience nonetheless.

As for the OP, I'd say drive them both and see if you can tell a significant difference between the two power plants. If not, then I'd go for the more simple one (non-turbo).

...also, if she's considering the Avalon, the Hyundai Azera is in that same class and last i saw, great deals were available. Just a thought since i know you've narrowed it down to the given vehicles.

My vote is the Hyundai also they are built very very well and are backed by that 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty..
If this was 1990 i would say go with the toyota but today Hyundai makes great things.. As for resale Hyundai is doing pretty well..The word is out that Hyundai is a good car these days. The old thinking that Toyota and Honda are the best is not true anymore, in the engine business we saw lots of Toyotas and Honda's needing engine work and the standard customer response was how can that be its a Toyota or its a Honda..In the 80's i agree they were the best today they are all pretty much built the same with parts from everywhere in the world.

the santa fe is impressive, the full size one comes with a 3.3L near 300hp N/A engine.

Does she want a sedan or a suv/cuv? There is quite a difference.

Both are good choices no DCT like the tuscon.

Got a call last night that the 2011 Sonata 2.4 I purchased for the MIL has been totalled. At least she and her friend are alright. Both dash airbags went off and smashed the windshield so I'm guessing it's a write off.

At least it protected them very well. Shaken up, but car performed wonderfully in the crash

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Got a call last night that the 2011 Sonata 2.4 I purchased for the MIL has been totalled. At least she and her friend are alright. Both dash airbags went off and smashed the windshield so I'm guessing it's a write off.

At least it protected them very well. Shaken up, but car performed wonderfully in the crash

Great news! Glad they're ok.

Check out the Santa Fe too. It is based on the Sonata platform, and in my personal opinion was more comfortable than the Tucson. The 2.4 is a great little engine.

Toyota for sure. I have owned both as well as family/friends that have both. From what I have seen, the Toyota's hold up better long term.

The last Hyundai I owned was a 2007 Elantra. Pretty good car for the 5 years I owned it, but around 110K the trans started to go out so I dumped it. It had mostly highway miles and serviced by the book at Hyundai so I was pretty disappointed that I only got 110K out of it. Being a 5 year old Hyundai a new transmission was 60% of its value...

I also like the feel of a V6 over a turbo 4.

Last edited:
I have a 2009 Venza AWD V6.

It has been a POS, and won't be putting Toyota at the top of any of my future purchases.

$3500 in just out of warranty repairs at 50,000 miles.

And the last $1000 repair to repair a thumping noise, didn't fix the issue.(rear struts and links)
Yes, the spare tire is in tight.

P.O.S. Toyota.

The 2013 Hyundai Sonata I passed on to my son and my current ride, 2016 KIA Sorento SX have been awesome rides.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
...also, if she's considering the Avalon, the Hyundai Azera is in that same class

Just my personal opinion, but to me the Azera looks a lot nicer (both inside and out) than Sonata.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: knerml

Yes, but having to go back to the dealer often to get things fixed can be an inconvenience nonetheless.

As for the OP, I'd say drive them both and see if you can tell a significant difference between the two power plants. If not, then I'd go for the more simple one (non-turbo).

If a vehicle has a great warranty, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are anxious to fix a bunch of problems. It's because they believe that they won't have problems to fix. (OK, I'm a glass half full guy...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back