Hyundai oil filter housing cover. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what size this cover is? It's the cover that screws onto the filter-housing on top of the 3.3L V6. It's got a faceted top similar to what a filter "can" would have, but is much larger than most automotive oil filters. I've looked for something that would fit it in the usual stores, but haven't been successful.

I can remove that cover by hand, but it takes some work and my hand is usually sore for weeks afterward. The threads on it are very fine and it's sealed with an o-ring. . .I can't understand why it comes off so hard, but a tool would be nice to have. Anyone know what tool to buy and where to get it?

Last edited:
Have you tried Amazon? There appears to be at least two choices, one by Assenmacher, and a less pricey one by OTC. Might be a good place to start and then price shop others online.

Originally Posted By: Robster
Does anyone know what size this cover is? It's the cover that screws onto the filter-housing on top of the 3.3L V6. It's got a faceted top similar to what a filter "can" would have, but is much larger than most automotive oil filters. I've looked for something that would fit it in the usual stores, but haven't been successful.

I can remove that cover by hand, but it takes some work and my hand is usually sore for weeks afterward. The threads on it are very fine and it's sealed with an o-ring. . .I can't understand why it comes off so hard, but a tool would be nice to have. Anyone know what tool to buy and where to get it?

You are talking about the cover for the cartridge filter? If it is the same as the 3.8L V6 it is 27mm and can be purchased at Autozone.

Rod

Originally Posted By: Rodraid
You are talking about the cover for the cartridge filter? If it is the same as the 3.8L V6 it is 27mm and can be purchased at Autozone.

Rod
Based upon my reading, it seems the 3.3L's don't have the 3.8L 27mm nut at the top. It seems a cap wrench like those for a canister filter is used.

Fwiw, I bought 1/2" drive 27mm socket at Northern Tool for my 3.8L.

I'm sure you've solved your problem by now but I went through the same thing with my 3.3L Santa fe. I found a local and cheaper source for the tool:NAPA 77-3868 for $7.49. The NAPA web site is rather incomplete and won't tie the tool to the car but the car is listed on the blister pack that the tool comes in. From one brand to the next there seems to be a little variation in the listed size of the socket: 88.4,88.5,etc. Most of them are sheet metal stampings and not that high tolerance so don't worry about it. The tool is stamped with the size in fraction form:15 over 88.4. If you zoom in on the OTC socket ad photo you'll see the same little stamping. Hmm!! While in NAPA the oil drain plug washer is Balkamp70413899 (Dorman 095-147) Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back