Hyundai (kia) Warranty users for 2011-up theta 2

$906 Million set aside in Q3 2022 alone just for engine issues.

I’m fairly certain the failure rate is higher than 17%. Also consider the fact that many of these Theta II vehicles are already scrapped due to accidents, etc.

That should help quell the questions I've been getting. I hate not having hard facts to back up my statements but living the nightmare is hard to quantify to those who only have to read of it.

Well I’m looking to buy a new 2023 telluride, should I be scared?? It has the 3.8 engine

Well I’m looking to buy a new 2023 telluride, should I be scared?? It has the 3.8 engine
It has a different, unrelated engine that’s a completely different design. That said, I wouldn’t touch a HyunKia product nor recommend one.

The 3.8 V6 that’s in the Palisade is of Hyundais Lambda engine family.

The 3.3 V6 GDI is also part of the Lambda family, and it’s common for those to fail just after 100k miles. The Theta II’s often fail before 100K miles. You don’t hear as many horror stories about the 3.3 V6 failures for a couple of reasons.

1) V6 engines are a smaller percentage of Hyundai sales.

2) The V6 engines don’t have a tendency of catching on fire when they fail.

Just my theory, but once a large number of Tellurides and Palisades reach 100k miles there will be plenty of them failing.

Back