Hyundai (kia) Warranty users for 2011-up theta 2

Anyone use the NTSB class action lawsuit warranty procedure for these engines? Mine finally died at around 126k miles. Terminal, saw some oil leakage. Want to hear how others have fared before calling stealership to start the ordeal.

I'm up to 137,000 miles on my 2013 Kia Optima, 2.4 GDI.
Almost all highway miles.

A coworker has a 2014 Hyundai Sonata with 153,000 miles - - it started using a LOT of oil at around the 148,000 mile mark - - like a quart every 300-400 miles (mine uses zero oil between 5,000 mile changes).

One day while driving to his brother's house, it just started knocking out of the blue.
He had it towed to the Hyundai dealership, and they put a new engine in it for him -
- he didn't even ask to have it done, they just said they were going to do it - - - free of charge.

They don't put up a stink over records for oil changes to support they were done per the owner's manual?

That's pretty amazing of them if so.

When I called HMA I got a never ending stream of "IF, IF, IF,". They said take it to stealership and see.

Isn't that pretty much the expected lifespan of a Kia / Hyundai?
Nope.
Had a SFS 2.0T reach 260k mi before trading in and a Sonata 2.4L reach 180k mi. No issues whatsoever. Both had the block warranty extended for life after applying the knock sensor tsb. I have nothing but appreciation for how reliable our H/K products have been in our family, and for our friends.

The one replacement I have firsthand experience with was when I visited a KIA dealership for touch up paint. There was an Optima 2.4 there with it's valve cover off and I inquired with the Tech. He said it was getting a new engine. Per him, they didn't ask any questions concerning oil changes even though it was sludged at 45k miles or so and the lady supplied fake recipes.

Last edited:
Here's the Optima thread with pics, mentioned above...

Had a co-worker than had his Sonata engine blow on him, I told him about the warranty (he had 130,000 or so miles on it with regular maintenance) and he had it towed from his shop (that had not touched it yet) to the dealer and it was replaced with no issue, and a loaner vehicle for a month while getting the engine and getting it installed.
This was maybe 18 months ago.

My daughter's died about a year ago at around 80K. 2011 Sonata 2.4, full syn oil changes every 4K. Had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the engine for free. Took them a week before they assessed it, but at that point got a loaner and had that for the duration. Took them 4 months to get the work done, but between our dealer being the only one in central Iowa and the fact that they were completely gutting and remodeling the dealership it made sense. Was never asked about maintenance history, but that could be different from dealer to dealer, although Hyundai got themselves in trouble already for trying to deny claims.

Hyundai motors America said "no loaner vehicle until stealership had diagnosed problem". I said "it has a hole in the block , what's to diagnose?" She said "I'm not a mechanic" . Towed it to stealership, they said " could take 3 days to diagnose ". What a crock of ships. Why I hate to go anywhere near a stealership.

Back