Hyundai Accent 2008 Automatic - Car Not accelerating - Fix the issue

I'm going to be mentioning what are the current symptoms and what have been done previously and be straight to the point so it can be easier to guess what it can be the issue. I'm not a mechanic but I've learned a lot thanks for scotty and other sources, besides myself thinking what the "****" is happening with my car.

What has been done (Since the last year):

- Brand new Valve Cover with gasket

- Changed Spark Plugs (I did the gaps right) and coils (Cables were not changed, was to expensive with brand new cables)

- Alternator (Another issue that it was having)

- Transmission oil + Transmission oil filter

- Oil changes

- Change Radiator (I've been checking and fluid not leaking into the engine).

- Air Filter

Symptoms:

- Car no accelerating.

- Engine used to vibrate a lot. After changing the alternator (When I noticed the voltage drop), it stopped to vibrate that much, vibrate less. (I guess it could be a engine mount but they seems ok to me.

- A bit/moderate White smoke coming out of the engine oil cap after running for a while when I open cap (And a strong smell of gas)

- Smell of gas on the exhaust pipe. (Sometimes I can smell it on the car a bit when I turn just the blower on, A/C Has not been repaired yet)

- Oil coming into the Throttle body through the PCV Valve hose.

- Oil coming out of the recently installed Valve Cover Gasket.

What I will do today:

- Change Gas Filter since it needs to be changed

-Clean the Throttle body with some cleaner and give it a run.

What I can guess:

- Having high oil pressure

- Injectors

- To little air on the engine

- Wear on the Engine

- Wear on the Transmission

To be honest I'm desperate at this point. I don't have much money to solve issues, I can buy the parts and do the job. I did not know a thing about cars last year, and I've been doing these out of just experience with almost no help from none one since I rely heavily on this car, I will check if the valve cover had a PCV Valve from factory just to check if that's the reason why the oil is getting into the Throttle body. Any help is appreciated

None of those symptoms would cause lack of acceleration, only thing that come to mind is the transmission is slipping.
Who did the ATF & Filter change and what fluid and filter were used?

Reactions: JC1
None of those symptoms would cause lack of acceleration, only thing that come to mind is the transmission is slipping.
Who did the ATF & Filter change and what fluid and filter were used?
I did it myself, it was the same exact filter when I took it out. Since I got it I always been thinking the transmission been having an issue, runs decent when the oil level is at the exact level needed, when it is under it or over it the difference can be felt.

Hard to believe something that runs that bad hasn't thrown a CEL. Is it even working?
Yes it works and no CEL, but doesn't run as it used to be due to the issue I'm having. After I changed the radiator and the new coolant, I felt it was running like new again funny enough. Still doesn't get hot.

Agree, the check engine light should be on if it's running this poorly. Does it work with the key on, engine off?

Plugged or bent exhaust pipe or plugged cat.
Yep. Oil that gets dirty quickly, an engine that is pumping oil out of the seals/gaskets, oil coming through the PCV system into the throttle body, and blow-by coming from the breather (in addition to low power & lack of ability to accelerate) is almost certainly a plugged cat. Put a vacuum gauge on an intake manifold vacuum port, that will give you the answer quickly and easily. Some auto parts stores might loan you one. While you are at it, most auto parts stores will use a scanner to check your computer for stored codes for free, but in my experience a plugged cat will not typically set a code. I also should add that baffles in the muffler can come loose and detach, plugging the exhaust and causing the same problem.

Last edited:
Does it misfire / shake / backfire or does it go smooth but slow?

Does the engine rev higher than it should? Engine racing up but the car not going is a transmission issue.

If it is smooth but sllow and not high rpm I'd agree its likely a clogged cat. See if there is a way to take the pipe apart before the cat and test drive. Also you should open the air filter box and intake pipes and look for a mouse nest.

Bad injector(s) causing the cat to go bad? Just guessing that because you said you smell gas when you open the oil cap. I would think one of those would set the check engine light, so I don’t know.

Do you have a scan tool to check for pending codes?

Does it misfire / shake / backfire or does it go smooth but slow?

Does the engine rev higher than it should? Engine racing up but the car not going is a transmission issue.

If it is smooth but sllow and not high rpm I'd agree its likely a clogged cat. See if there is a way to take the pipe apart before the cat and test drive. Also you should open the air filter box and intake pipes and look for a mouse nest.
Does not misfire / Shakes (Vibrates more than it should) / no backfires, It goes smooth the engine but starting to sound a not so great.

I feel the engine does rev higher than it should. Also before would go faster, but now I would not accelerate fast.

What's a mouse nest?

What's a mouse nest?
It’s a house mice like to build in air cleaner boxes and other parts of your engine compartment. It would look something like this
380D72C5-D561-4DF6-B8BD-4252D9F3E525.jpeg

Back