Hyundai 10w 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owners manual for my 2008 Hyundai Veracruz gives me the option of 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 oil. It adds a foot-note though about 5w20 being recommended for the best fuel economy. I would rather have better wear protection at the expense of a little fuel economy. Im in Virginia. Our temps rarely dip below 15 degrees in the winter but often climb above 90 in the summer. Would there be any benefit of using the 5w30 over the 10w30? In my local Walmart, the 5w30 oils cost more than the 10w30s for some reason.

I think the reason why 10W-30 costs less is demand. With people following their owners' manuals and 5W-30 being the most popular, I reckon they can get away with charging more for it.

That said, 10W-30 is good right down to -25 Celsius (-13 F) based on what I've read in multiple owners' manuals (Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota).

We use 5W20 oil year around and live about 20 miles north of the Florida state line.

Summer months see 90 low 100 degree readings and we have had no issues using 5W20 oil.

Te have two Hyundai vehicles one of which has the same basic engine that yours has.

We use synthetic 5W20 oil.

I would not use a 10W-30 in that application. If you are not comfortable with 5W-20, then use 5W-30.

Could you tell us which exact brand/type of oil costs more in 5W-30 than 10W-30? I have not seen that at Walmart, unless the 10W-30 is on closeout.

the 5w will flow better when chilly, i would not use 10w30 if the temperature is near freezing. I would suggest the best deals at WallyWorld would be Quaker State conventional at 10.50$ a jug. Use 5w30 all year around. If you were planning a several thousand mile summer trip, I would use 10w30 in that kind of instance. For winter use, consider using half a jug of 5w20/ half a jug 5w30. This would offer superior protection in cold start scenario AND better hot film strength, more shear room (because you're starting from a higher cSt).

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
For winter use, consider using half a jug of 5w20/ half a jug 5w30.

Why?

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
The owners manual for my 2008 Hyundai Veracruz gives me the option of 5w20, 5w30, or 10w30 oil. It adds a foot-note though about 5w20 being recommended for the best fuel economy. I would rather have better wear protection at the expense of a little fuel economy. Im in Virginia. Our temps rarely dip below 15 degrees in the winter but often climb above 90 in the summer. Would there be any benefit of using the 5w30 over the 10w30? In my local Walmart, the 5w30 oils cost more than the 10w30s for some reason.

I would use the 5w30 year round. My oil cap on my Santa Fe shows 5w20, but the technical manual says to use a 5w30 up to a 20w50 depending on the ambient temperature that the car will be operated in.

thumbsup2.gif

Ok. The consensus here is 5w30 so I think Im gonna stick with that. The walmart in our area is way outta wack IMO. The prices on oil change almost daily. I'm a motor head myself, so whenever we go to walmart, which seems like daily (we have 3 kids) I always browse the automotive isle. 5w20 is crazy expensive. For example. Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 is $20 for a 5 qt jug. Its $22 for 5w30 and $24 for 5w20. Thats a 20% premium just because its 5w20. The conventional oils are running about the same with respect to the percentages in each grade. I just switched to PP 5w30 but I think I'm gonna go back to conventional. I just can't justify paying almost double for synthetic oil for our Hyundai. We don't tow or do anything out of the ordinary with it. I am thinking either YB or QS. The wife just drives it to and from work and to and from.......walmart.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Hyundai/Kia engines have an interesting spread in regards to oil recommendations. I've seen them prefer 5W-20, but state the owner could use 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, on up to 15W-40 in very hot climates....

Personally, I think you'd be fine running 5W-20 year round. But if it makes you feel better, there would be nothing wrong with running 5W-30 or even 10W-30 in the summer months.

Ok. The consensus here is 5w30 so I think Im gonna stick with that. The walmart in our area is way outta wack IMO. The prices on oil change almost daily. I'm a motor head myself, so whenever we go to walmart, which seems like daily (we have 3 kids) I always browse the automotive isle. 5w20 is crazy expensive. For example. Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 is $20 for a 5 qt jug. Its $22 for 5w30 and $24 for 5w20. Thats a 20% premium just because its 5w20. The conventional oils are running about the same with respect to the percentages in each grade. I just switched to PP 5w30 but I think I'm gonna go back to conventional. I just can't justify paying almost double for synthetic oil for our Hyundai. We don't tow or do anything out of the ordinary with it. I am thinking either YB or QS. The wife just drives it to and from work and to and from.......walmart.
smirk2.gif

Go with the YB, my moms Kia (Sister company to Hyundai) loves the stuff. Better engine quietness over the QS.
thumbsup2.gif

I was using YB before I switched to PP. I think it was quieter with YB. I think I'm gonna switch back next oil change.

I was using YB before I switched to PP. I think it was quieter with YB. I think I'm gonna switch back next oil change.

I have the same thing in my Santa Fe...
21.gif
I like Amsoil though, makes my engine very quiet. Almost can't hear it running standing beside it.
wink.gif

I'm using the $8 (after rebate) Quaker State Horsepower full syn 5w30 in my 2.4 Kia Rondo (same engine as Sonata 4cyl). Wix filter this time but I usually use the OEM filters, they have a very high quality of construction.

Got 2 more jugs of the 5w30 QS HP as well so that should keep me good for the next 9 months or so.

I used 5w20 on my first couple of changes but 5w30 since. No reason really. I don't see that it gets better mileage with 5w20

Originally Posted By: Mark888
I would not use a 10W-30 in that application. If you are not comfortable with 5W-20, then use 5W-30.

Could you tell us which exact brand/type of oil costs more in 5W-30 than 10W-30? I have not seen that at Walmart, unless the 10W-30 is on closeout.

Another perfect example of "use what the manual recommends......unless it's not a 20wt".

Let's see, summers over 90, winters not below 15..... Why in the heck would you not use 10w-30? Let me guess, it doesn't get to the "nooks and crannies" as quickly.
smirk2.gif

My father has a Kia Sorento with the same 3.8L engine and it spends its life in Atlanta doing 80 - 85 mph when there is no traffic and .5 mph with 90-100 degree heat with A/C blasting when there is traffic. At 58,000 miles his valve cover gasket developed a leak and I peaked at the head when the cover was off (Warranty Repair). Clean as can be after doing bulk dino 5w20 changes from the dealer at 5K-7.5K intervals.

The Hyundai 3.3L and 3.8L aren't that hard on oil despite having an oil shearing timing chain. Having 245 and 262 horses out of those displacements isn't that stressful. The cartridge based oil filtration system does a good job and the permanent bypass valve is flawless.

If you read my previous posts, I do not care for 20 weight oil AT ALL. But you have my full endorsement on 5w20 for this engine in that vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back