Hybrids Only Excel in City Driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I like about the diesel is that, over the years, it was available in Jettas, Golfs, Rabbits, Beetles, Jetta Wagons, Passats...... hybrids are too "look at me". And, TDI can tow 2000lbs without even breaking a sweat. TDI Jetta wagon can internally haul much from BestBuy or Homedepot. And, the fun factor and extra MPG from a manual transmission for us non-lazy consumers is a plus.

Another issue is that the MPG was figured with "average miles" since each odometer read something different. A real test would've had a tack-on 5th wheel for data gathering. So, the above article data is flawed. Using the average odometer setting, depending on accuracy, can make one vehicle look better, and another look worse.

Now, what happens when you mate the Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive with the TDI engine-----65mpg TDIus or PriDI? and toss that powertrain into an MR2, Celica, Scirocco, Tiguan, or Eos? One can only dream.

You occasionally see a $.15 - $.75 difference in fuel prices between diesel and gas in the NE, since diesel is tied to fuel oil which is heavily used in New England.

I heard not a peep from my diesel Passat owner friend when it went over $5/gal. Added to that the diesel engine premium and....

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Wrong.

Over the years, I have read in a number of threads that hybrids are worthless for highway driving. The individuals who make those statements argue that a turbodiesel is far superior to a hybrid if the vehicle is used primarily for highway driving.

Recently, Edmunds.com conducted a test between the new 2009 Jetta TDI, 2010 Prius and various other fuel-efficient vehicles. At the end of the test, the results proved the 2010 Prius achieved nearly the same fuel economy regardless of the driving environment-- city, highway or backroads. This test proves that a hybrid does not lose its advantage if the vehicle is used for highway driving, contrary to what some posters insist on.

The Back Roads
The champ: 2010 Toyota Prius with 47.2 mpg
2nd Place: 2010 Honda Insight with 44.1 mpg
3rd Place: 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with 41.2 mpg
4th Place: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 39.6 mpg
5th Place: 2009 Mini Cooper with 38.5 mpg

The City
The champ: 2010 Toyota Prius with 48.7 mpg
2nd Place: 2010 Honda Insight with 43.4 mpg
3rd Place: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 35.1 mpg
4th Place: 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with 31.6 mpg
5th Place: 2009 Mini Cooper with 30.1 mpg

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/153866/article.html

Here we go again.

Hybrids are very useful, and they get good mileage on highways for some models, primarily because they have a downsized engine and the Atkinson cycle. i.e. at the expense of performance. this works for the majority of driving in suburbia.

But compare apples to apples.

Driving cycles matter a lot. A lot. Try a bunch of city, combo, and highway cycles.

Compare a manual 5-speed 4cyl Camry, an automatic 4 cyl Camry and a hybrid, and for fun a 6 cyl with the automatic.

Same with the Jetta, compare the gas with either gearbox (manual or DSG) with with either gearbox. they don't tell you that the test car is a DSG, not a true manual. Diesels are not good load followers, thus are not as efficient with torque converters or CVTs.

the Fusion can also be compared by drivelines.

In most cycles the Prius will do well, but comparing one with the chassis constant and multiple drive cycles with more variation will give a better picture.

Nowhere here is weight and performance (0-60 mph and handling) mentioned relative to mpgs. this is similar to comparing an automatic Camry driven hard vs. a Prius or a TDI automatic Passat vs. Jetta TDI manual. Different size and weight cars.

It does show however, how much progress Toyota and Ford have made in hybrid technology. The Fusion is a pretty large car relative to the others and gets good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back