Hybrid Battery Cost-- No Reason to Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.
A common fear about hybrid vehicle ownership is the potential cost of replacing the traction battery. While the cost of the battery varies significantly depending on the brand, the general consensus is that post-warranty battery replacement will be in the thousands. Although the failure rate of traction batteries in the second generation Prius have been relatively low, there is still a lot of fear about their potential replacement cost.

However, after reading a thread on Prius chat this morning, I've learned that this fear is quite unfounded, even if a traction battery failure occurs. One individual on the PriusChat forum was experiencing a traction battery failure on his 2004 Prius with 172,000 miles. He went to a local junkyard and found a traction battery from a wrecked 2007 Prius with 26k miles for only $400. The battery is easily replaceable with hand tools and basic mechanical skills, so he performed the simple swap himself. When he was finished, he turned in the old battery to his local Toyota dealership, who then gave him a $150 in cash for turning in the core (Toyota Corporate wants to encourage people to dispose of the batteries properly).

So in the end, he spent $250 to replace his traction battery, far less than the thousands that people have talked about. Even if he had paid a mechanic to perform the swap, the cost of the battery replacement would still be quite low-- probably even lower than the cost of a timing belt job on many six-cylinder cars. Therefore, there's really no reason to be scared of the replacement costs of a hybrid battery-- the replacement costs are far lower than expected.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-technical-discussion/69522-hv-battery-failing.html

Ok. Engines & transmissions can be replaced on the cheap if you can find one from a scrap heap & replace it yourself.
So, what's the cost from a dealership for the whole shooting match?

The $400 is the junkyard cost, what is the cost of that new battery pack at dealer ? $2000-3000 ?

To compare apple with apple, you need to price the cost of timing belt job and battery pack at the same dealer. I bet that it costs a lot more to replace the battery pack on the Prius.

Edmunds had a story about a lady who replaced the whole battery at the dealer, it was in the 2000 dollar range.

Keep in mind these are warranted to 110,000~150,000 miles and should outlast the car. There have been a few stores about Prius taxis closing on 300,000 miles with no issues.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
A common fear about hybrid vehicle ownership is the potential cost of replacing the traction battery. While the cost of the battery varies significantly depending on the brand, the general consensus is that post-warranty battery replacement will be in the thousands. Although the failure rate of traction batteries in the second generation Prius have been relatively low, there is still a lot of fear about their potential replacement cost.

However, after reading a thread on Prius chat this morning, I've learned that this fear is quite unfounded, even if a traction battery failure occurs. One individual on the PriusChat forum was experiencing a traction battery failure on his 2004 Prius with 172,000 miles. He went to a local junkyard and found a traction battery from a wrecked 2007 Prius with 26k miles for only $400. The battery is easily replaceable with hand tools and basic mechanical skills, so he performed the simple swap himself. When he was finished, he turned in the old battery to his local Toyota dealership, who then gave him a $150 in cash for turning in the core (Toyota Corporate wants to encourage people to dispose of the batteries properly).

So in the end, he spent $250 to replace his traction battery, far less than the thousands that people have talked about. Even if he had paid a mechanic to perform the swap, the cost of the battery replacement would still be quite low-- probably even lower than the cost of a timing belt job on many six-cylinder cars. Therefore, there's really no reason to be scared of the replacement costs of a hybrid battery-- the replacement costs are far lower than expected.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-technical-discussion/69522-hv-battery-failing.html

What you failed to realize as the vast majority of consumers will have to pay retail. Sure some folks will do it for a fraction of the price, but unless 1 prius is scrapped for each one that needs a battery you are going to run out of junkyards with them. As the miles and time rolls up you will need more replacements

Originally Posted By: raaizin

What you failed to realize as the vast majority of consumers will have to pay retail. Sure some folks will do it for a fraction of the price, but unless 1 prius is scrapped for each one that needs a battery you are going to run out of junkyards with them. As the miles and time rolls up you will need more replacements

AND as more and more people start calling junkyards for the batteries the price is going to double if not triple that $400!

Originally Posted By: raaizin

I doubt junkyards are going to run out of them. Cars are always going to get wrecked. And failures aren't that prevalent anyway (and will never be), so in the event that a battery is needed, it's unlikely that demand will outstrip supply.

Also, a dealer would probably bill a couple hours labor to do the job, so even if you tack on the labor charge, it still isn't that much.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
However, until you have a sample space of more than one, this is just an anecdote. It hardly sets a trend.

Right, but a quick search of eBay motors right now shows a number of Prius batteries priced between 400-900. And, if I go on car-part.com, I see a ton of them priced at under $800. So, at least for now, finding a low-mileage, affordable priced Prius battery should not be a problem.

just quoted a body shop for a Escape Hybrid battery, MSRP is $8500. the battery case was cracked and cannot be salvaged. the body shop called a wrecking yard and is having a used one delivered to us tomorrow to have us install. the Ford traction batteries are fairly large and weigh about 200lbs.

why wouldn't some vultures pick out the batteries at the scrap yard and sell them seperately? can't believe they would just dump a battery of that value in the first place even if the car was written off. .

javacontour said:
Right, but a quick search of eBay motors right now shows a number of Prius batteries priced between 400-900. And, if I go on car-part.com, I see a ton of them priced at under $800. So, at least for now, finding a low-mileage, affordable priced Prius battery should not be a problem.

What guarantees do those come with? Ones from a recycler would probably be worth the paper they are written on, but I would buy no sooner buy a used Ebay hybrid battery than I would a used Ebay cell phone battery.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
What guarantees do those come with? Ones from a recycler would probably be worth the paper they are written on, but I would buy no sooner buy a used Ebay hybrid battery than I would a used Ebay cell phone battery.

The hybrid batteries are problem-free until the end of their lifespan. So, there's really no risk in purchasing an used one from eBay, LKQ, etc.

The problem with hybrid battery technology will be the rare materials in them which will become very scarce and drive the price through the roof within about 10 years.

The hybrid batteries are problem-free until the end of their lifespan. So, there's really no risk in purchasing an used one from eBay, LKQ, etc.

Exactly. So how do you know where your prospective battery is in it's lifespan?

For the 10 to 12 miles per gallon you save in gas doesn't the cost of the prius out way the savings? Then if you replace the battery I don't see much of a savings with hybrids. Am I wrong?

As hybrids and electric vehicles become more popular, some current thinking gaining popularity is you will not own the battery in the vehicle, but lease it from your local utility company.

Originally Posted By: PT1
The problem with hybrid battery technology will be the rare materials in them which will become very scarce and drive the price through the roof within about 10 years.

which metals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back