Husqvarna snow thrower

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you changed the carb, did you verify the choke closes all the way? Could be the linkage is not properly adjusted.
Did you verify proper operation of the primer bulb?

The majority of hard starting on modern small engines with electronic ignition is fuel system related.

How are the interlocks? I ask because I had a blower with several flaky reed switches. Shaking the thing pulling the rope may have not helped things.

It had some rube goldberg thing where it could idle in neutral with hands off the deadman controls, and auger off. But otherwise it would stall.

You could be losing spark right during the part of the starting shake where you need it. If, as typical, this all ends at a spade lug at the coil to ground the low side, you could temporarily disconnect it. Just have a plan for if it actually starts.

Thanks for all the advise so far. Yes it runs with the choke off when it warms up and it runs great once it starts. We had 17" of snow today and it worked great. I did verify today the choke closes fully when it's set. I have been giving it a squirt of starting fluid to help it start up when cold. I will get rid of the Bosch plug this week and try a ngk. I didn't know the bosh plugs weren't any good.

if the starting fluid works, I think you may have a problem with the primer. A couple of squirts from the primer should equal a burst of starting fluid.
So, check the primer function! End to end.

Yep, I'm betting on a bad primer bulb and/or a cracked primer hose. I think someone already suggested hitting the primer a bunch of times (like 8-10) and see if gas comes out of the choke side of the carb. With that many presses, it should certainly start puking gas out the carb. If not, the priming system is bad.

Well thanks for all the responses I finally solved the problem today. Motorcity you were right I got rid of the Bosch plug and put an ngk in it and it starts right up now. The old plug looked clean (no buildup)
but there was something wrong with it obviously. Thanks.

Well I'm glad it was a cheap fix. It started on the first pull today. I always thought Bosch were good. I have them in my car for over 100k miles with no issues

Good to hear! For years I've read about Bosch plug induced issues. they must work well in some applications though.

I always look for the NGK platinum version of the plug.. for example the BP6ES has a version with a platinum tip, the BP6EV

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I always look for the NGK platinum version of the plug.. for example the BP6ES has a version with a platinum tip, the BP6EV

Is there any real benefit to using platinum plugs in OPE's? I was under the impression that platinum plugs didn't give you any better spark, or even not as good as the standard nickle tipped plugs. They just last longer which is a benefit in today's vehicles where changing the plugs is usually a nightmare. A one spark plug engine is easy to change
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back