Husq. B&S 18.5 Intek riding mower filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Husqvarna riding mower with the B&S Intek 18.5 hp V-twin. Could someone help me make sure what oil filter this mower takes? It seems like other brands like Kawasaki, Kohler and others might take the same filter that will interchange. ...or is that a recipe for disaster?
The Briggs filters are quite overpriced at the local Wal-M. Is there a good cross reference somewhere or should I just bite the bullet and buy a Briggs filter. ...or is there a better filter out there either quality or price-wise. The filter the mower came with is quite short. Are there longer filters available? Would a longer filter be a good idea or even necessary? The mower doesn't see any extended service, maybe 30 minutes use at a time.
In short, have any of you guys found a better or cheaper alternative to the overpriced B&S filters.
What would you recommend I look for and where?
PS ...some guy on YouTube was talking about a "6psi" filter or some such that he put on his mower. What might he be getting at? Is it a bypass in the filter or something?
All riding mower guys please add any input. This is my first season with a riding mower and I don't know what I'm doing.

Fram 3614 or equivalent,
Three and a half inches long...

Fram 3600 or equivalent,
Five inches long...

Look on Rock Auto for cheap filters, the have $1 - $2 filters, but watch the shipping...

I bought my first Riding Mower in 2018 and did not want to spend the money for B&S Oil Filters.
I ended up buying ST3614 at Walmart / $3.00 each (my neighbor pays $10.00 for the B&S).
I choose the ST because the holes in center tube were large like the B&S.
The ST3614 comes in three lengths / I choose 'mid' length.
So far, so good.
Other people will say "don't risk it, buy only B&S" …. you decide.

[Linked Image]

My Napa guy claimed the 7035s were developed for the Briggs and Stratton. They're kinda expensive for such a small filter.
I'll bite when I can get them cheap but usually run a Napa 1348 if there's room.

Am I correct in assuming that as long as the filter screws down firmly and the rubber gasket is the right diameter and seals then the filter will work? Or is there an issue with the direction the oil flows through the filter or a possible problem with anti drainback filters?
What was the guy talking about when he said he used a "6 psi" filter on his mower in that youtube video?
And WOW! Correct me if I'm wrong but that pic of the Yellow B&S filter MasterSolenoid provided looks rather robust. I might be willing to let them stick it to me for one of those...
Or is there a high quality alternative for a reasonable price to that yellow B&S filter?

I usually use a B&S 492932S or Fram PH8170, but picked up some STP S3600ML filters when AutoZone cleared them put earlier this year.

Had to take off the left hand plastics but it's a beast of a filter.

Did the same … once I saw the tiny media area … been 910 or 3614 since then …
I change it in the spring … oil twice a year …

After seeing the "mud" that came out of my intek 21hp V-twin after 2 years of Mobil 1 15W-50....with less than 30 hours accumulated....(STP filter I think - wonder if it was stuck on bypass) ....I change it now with whatever 15W-40 HDEO I'm using, every year along with the $3 filters, in the fall usually.

Not worried about filter "efficiency" or media area after that one. Of course it was stored outdoors - so that may have been the reason. Runs like top.

Every filter has a bypass valve that is set to a certain PSI... which is what he was probably referencing in that video. The Briggs is NOT full pressure lube. The engine is splash lubricated. The tiny oil pump is only there to pump oil through the oil filter.

Not a bad idea to find the specs for the engine and the correct filter if you want, as it relates to the bypass valve psi of the factory Briggs oil filters. That being said, millions of folks just use the cheapest car filters they can find that fit and the engines run just fine.

I use the MC 910S on mine. I use it on the 20 hp B&S riding mower, the 12 kw B&S powered gen and also the Kaw powered Gravely proturn mower.
Been using them for years. No problem. 15/40 delo for mowers and 10/30 syn for gen.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
I bought my first Riding Mower in 2018 and did not want to spend the money for B&S Oil Filters.
I ended up buying ST3614 at Walmart / $3.00 each (my neighbor pays $10.00 for the B&S).
I choose the ST because the holes in center tube were large like the B&S.
The ST3614 comes in three lengths / I choose 'mid' length.
So far, so good.
Other people will say "don't risk it, buy only B&S" …. you decide.

[Linked Image]

Look at the quality difference between the two. I would atleast put something good on if you deviate from the OEM filter, not a filter held together with a plastic cage..

Last edited:
In the photo comparing the B&S with ST3614, YES there is a difference.
But the ST3614 is also used for auto engines.

The 'plastic' Center Tube does not bother me and it was the only Filter I found that allowed for maximum flow (large holes).

Just another reason to cut your Oil Filters open after using and inspect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back