Hunt for chainsaw saga continues... - Got it down to 3 models

I need another saw like a hole in the head but here is what is avail to me and why I selected these models. I would like to ask for opinions and to stick to only these models as I would like to put my hunt for a saw to a close soon before another price hike.

Echo CS-680 27" Bar (New): $680 + tax
I want to buy one for no other reason than I really like my used near mint CS-670 a lot, and have an intense fear of missing out when echo finally discontinues the 680. Should it get stolen or I straight gas it by accident, there have never been any good used ones that show up in my area. I like the outdated near bulletproof all metal design, but hate the weight and lack of anti vibe.

Echo CS-590 24" Bar (New): $419 ~ $439 + tax
I hear from the internet this is the absolute best bang for buck sleeper saw. The price point blows away stihl and husky with the understanding that they are a little restrictive out of box with the coil and carb. I might be able to find a new open box cheaper. I could be happy with this one as a primary and shelf the 670 for only the big stuff.

Husky 555 20" Bar (Used): $400 + tax
This is a used trade in from a local dealer, and I am not thinking there is much room for negotiation on price. I fear the autotune a little bit, but being a 2021 it should have all the bugs worked out with the hot start and it is in excellent cond. It wasnt even considered but I stopped by and saw it sitting on the floor. Honestly a $750 dollar saw when new really seems like a good deal for 400 for only one year old.

All sound pretty good, the bars seem a bit long on the echo's for PA hardwoods to me? I have a 372xp(~same specs as the CS-680) and its heavy enough with a 20" bar and its pretty rare I need to use my longer bar... It loves 16-24" firewood though.

I've got a Husky 16" (33cc) and Echo 28" now.

My CS-7310p came with a 28" bar. It runs better on 24" bar/chain.

With some of the dense/harder/heavy woods, I'd recommend as many CC's possible with as small as a bar needed to do the job, as a homeowner.

I'd wager the lumberjacks would have different opinions too but I am not running mine 40hrs a week for a check. I deal with normal tree cut downs and branch trimming as needed, and the **** hurricanes.

I've seen a monsters amount of Stihls, Husqvarnas, Echos.... worked to oblivion for hurricane cleanup. And, many were passed around multiple users/operators.... I know some hate certain brands but am impressed with more brands.

I also worry about the problem on trade-ins, and whatever issues it had that needing trading in.

So, my vote is for the CS-680, with a spare 20" and 24" bar and chain.

So I get it on the long bar issue, and what it boils down to is I can wait and apply less pressure to get the engine at its curve. I also like to stand and not have to be bent down so much, that is the reason I prefer a long bar. Because I am not a skilled operator I also find that the heavy weight of the bar almost allows me to let the saw sink in instead of banging up agaist the bucking spikes and laying into it.

Why not a Stihl MS261/362?
So the local dealer (s) are full list price + 15% additional markup for parts. They do not stock hardly anything either. I do like their products but very much dislike their parts and support in my area. That is mostly my gripe with them.

Echo CS-590 but with a 20" bar and muffler mod. Best of all worlds, you will love it. Very powerful and reliable saw for the size.

I’m going to sound like a saw snob, but if it isnt a commecial grade Jonsered/Husky or even a Stihl, I wont buy it. 71cc minimum for me. So, I’d still buy that baby Husky.

I'm happy with my Husky 455 Rancher. It's a beast with a pro chain on it. Have a old Husky 335 saw also and it's a good saw. Various Craftsman saws also but they cut but they do not have the HP of the Huskys.

I am not a heavy user of chainsaws so I am very happy with my EGo 18".

My primary use is trimming trees and clearing trail/roads. Where one cuts a branch then puts down the saw and throws the cutting out of the way. Then moves the ladder or truck to the next... No pull start on a battery electric chainsaw.

My Husqvarna 390 xp. 32 inch bar. Other saw is an Echo cs-450, 18 in bar.
IMG_20200328_145931282.jpg
IMG_20190622_160452066.jpg

I’m going to sound like a saw snob, but if it isnt a commecial grade Jonsered/Husky or even a Stihl, I wont buy it. 71cc minimum for me. So, I’d still buy that baby Husky.
Depends what you use it for. I have a Jonsered CS2171 with 32" bar, but a 71cc saw gets heavy if you run it for hours at a time. Sure I use the big saw for big wood, but it would be silly to use it for limbing and cutting smaller stuff.

The Husky 555 sounds interesting. The depreciation hit is obviously already there so even if you don’t like it, it sounds like you’ll easily be able to get your money back.

I have no experience with the auto tune.

Depends what you use it for. I have a Jonsered CS2171 with 32" bar, but a 71cc saw gets heavy if you run it for hours at a time. Sure I use the big saw for big wood, but it would be silly to use it for limbing and cutting smaller stuff.
Agreed. I just prefer it as I never know what I maybe getting into and can swap bars. Seeing all these saws home brand, small cc saws with a 20” bar and a 8 chain just get into my craw.

I like a big power head 70cc and a 20 inch bar this saw usually comes with a 24to32inch bar but I built it with a 20inch I do run 28 inch Sugihara when needed.
B78FB5B5-89CF-4D2D-9983-EE3BE5425B5E.jpeg

Sharpening up the 2172 in some small stuff
B6C01C71-145C-4699-9BFA-DF7F1DCCAF8D.jpeg

Attachments

• CFB09FD8-EF12-46E0-82AB-F39D1628FB74.jpeg
    CFB09FD8-EF12-46E0-82AB-F39D1628FB74.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 7
If they are made like toys made from plastic I would choose none of them. Just not durable enough for me.

If they are made like toys made from plastic I would choose none of them. Just not durable enough for me.
IMO it all depends on use case.

I own a few saws, one is a Makita (Dolmar) DCS5200i. All magnesium, very light and well made, none are made like that anymore, even the high end pro saws. My Jonsereds are a mix of plastic and metal. My Echo CS-3510 is mostly plastic. It has a 14" bar, and I use it for small trees, limbing, and helping my friend on his Christmas tree farm. It is perfect for that. It weighs ~8 lbs, and I can use it all day long with no issues, and it has a great power to weight ratio.

Back