Humming/Buzzing from tires or bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Seasons. Tread is good, 9/32 in the middle, 8/32 the edges on all four tires. Tire ages range from 2.5 to 4 years. No cracks, dry rot or bulges.

I'm hearing a humming/buzzing at about 40 km/h and higher. It's a "pneumatic" sounding noise, kind of like blowing air through a pipe. Loading up one side or the other makes no difference as far as I can tell. Driving is perfectly smooth and straight, with no vibrations or pulling to either side during acceleration, cruising, turning, or braking.

The only thing I can think of is that I forgot to mark them when I installed my winter tires last year, so I have no idea which tires were in which corners. I only bought this car last October and the all-seasons were only on for a few weeks before I installed the winter tires, so possible that I'm just not familiar with how these tires normally sound.

Am I just being paranoid?

Youtube have instruction on how to easily check the bearing by raising the car and rocking the tire.

Just search it.

Of course, you may want to tell us what kind of make model car we are talking about.

Ah, sorry. 02 Civic SiR. I'm planning to check it when I have time this weekend, just looking to get some info. I thought wheel bearings generally made a lower "growling" noise.

Last edited:
So, I'm thinking it could be down to simple tire rotation.

Is there any way I can determine where the tires were installed (as in, which corner)? Or do I just need to keep moving them around until it shuts up?

Originally Posted by OCDriver
Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Seasons. Tread is good, 9/32 in the middle, 8/32 the edges on all four tires. Tire ages range from 2.5 to 4 years. No cracks, dry rot or bulges.

I'm hearing a humming/buzzing at about 40 km/h and higher. It's a "pneumatic" sounding noise, kind of like blowing air through a pipe. Loading up one side or the other makes no difference as far as I can tell. Driving is perfectly smooth and straight, with no vibrations or pulling to either side during acceleration, cruising, turning, or braking.

The only thing I can think of is that I forgot to mark them when I installed my winter tires last year, so I have no idea which tires were in which corners. I only bought this car last October and the all-seasons were only on for a few weeks before I installed the winter tires, so possible that I'm just not familiar with how these tires normally sound.

Am I just being paranoid?

Sounds like what I call "Tire Hash". Its that whoosh sound a tire makes as it ages. You stated they are 2.5 to 4 years old. Sounds like they are getting harder due to age. Also, since you have alittle more wear on the outer edges, you are running a low tire pressure for the particular tire/vehicle combo (assuming your not taking corners at 75MPH or something). Add a couple pounds.

I have found that today's tires (non-directional ones) don't care where they are placed. I rotate mine in an "X" pattern and have had very good results with even wear on them.

If you have a weird wear pattern it'll make noise. Might cure itself. Might not.

Also, since you have alittle more wear on the outer edges, you are running a low tire pressure for the particular tire/vehicle combo

I regularly check the pressures, they're inflated exactly to spec. But, no telling what the previous owner did.

The only thing is... doesn't the pitch of a tire noise generally increase and decrease with road speed? I notice the pitch remains constant with speed, while the volume goes up and down with road speed.

Last edited:
Also, since you have alittle more wear on the outer edges, you are running a low tire pressure for the particular tire/vehicle combo

I regularly check the pressures, they're inflated exactly to spec. But, no telling what the previous owner did.

The only thing is... doesn't the pitch of a tire noise generally increase and decrease with road speed? I notice the pitch remains constant with speed, while the volume goes up and down with road speed.

What exact spec? Whats listed on the door jamb? Are these OEM tires?

I have found tires with no irregular wear sound the same, just get louder with time and speed
Tires with irregular wear will change pitch with speed.

Good point. No idea what the OEM tires were. I know these are the right size. The speed rating (88V) is higher than OEM spec (H), but everything else is the same.

I have found tires with no irregular wear sound the same, just get louder with time and speed

What would you call "irregular" wear? Cupping or bald spots?

about 7 years ago I bought new set of kelly tires from a dealer during warranty work.(cobalt ignition cylinder) If I drove over 45 during a curve they would hum, If I went over 72mph they had a high pitch hum. The next day I returned and my test drive confirmed my complaint. After the dealer put bearings, rotors, struts and hours of wasted time I finally asked them to swap wheels with a pontiac next to it on the lift and let me drive it. Guess what, no hum, off the kelly tires and back on with the old GY's. Point is, tires can make a hum sound, but yours is probably bearings since it started later on. BTW, those NEW bearings they put on during the warranty lasted 67000 miles. I had to replace them @96k.

Good point. No idea what the OEM tires were. I know these are the right size. The speed rating (88V) is higher than OEM spec (H), but everything else is the same.

What would you call "irregular" wear? Cupping or bald spots?

Then if they are not OEM tires, the door placard is only a baseline (technically it is anyhow, meaning it is a compromise between performance and comfort), and actual wear on the tire will tell you if it is over, under, or inflated just right. Again, with your wear pattern, I would put a couple more PSI in them.

As for unusual wear, yes, I am referring to cupping, bald spots, etc.

Then if they are not OEM tires, the door placard is only a baseline (technically it is anyhow, meaning it is a compromise between performance and comfort), and actual wear on the tire will tell you if it is over, under, or inflated just right. Again, with your wear pattern, I would put a couple more PSI in them.

As for unusual wear, yes, I am referring to cupping, bald spots, etc.

Gotcha, thanks. I can't find anything irregular about the wear on these tires. They look and feel good all around.

So far, I have:

• Inflated all four tires to 35psi, up from the OEM spec of 33 fronts and 30 rears. Might have made a small difference, hard to say for sure.
  • Rotated tires front rear, and washed them inside and out before remove any dirt or stuck-on crap that might be causing a slight imbalance. I drove in between each rotation. After rotating the right side, the noise is slightly reduced at 50km/h and somewhat reduced at highway speeds (70-100km/h). There was no further change in the noise after rotating the left side.

Here's a recording of what I'm hearing on a decently smooth paved road after these steps. Coasting in neutral at 50km/h.

The only half-decent gear I have for this is my digital SLR with built-in mic. The sound you're listening for is an "airy" hum. No idea if you'll actually hear it or if it just blends into the normal road noise in the video.

Last edited:
So far, I have:

Inflated all four tires to 35psi, up from the OEM spec of 33 fronts and 30 rears. Might have made a small difference, hard to say for sure.

I'm not questioning your pressure increase, I also prefer a little higher than the manufacturer does ... BUT, do think the front/rear difference should be considered. I probably would have put 36 in front, 33 in rears to maintain, as much as practical, the OE design characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back