Huge structure fire nearby last night.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
A large 5 story luxury apartment building was being built 3 miles from us in the middle of the business/commercial district here in Prescott Valley. Several hundred apartments, integrated parking garage. They were about 50% done until last night. Around 1am a fire started and burned the whole thing except the elevator shafts and parking garage to the ground. Never heard a thing but this morning looking out the window and there was something all over the sidewalks, driveway and street. Went out and it was ash and fairly large pieces of charcoal-like material. Some of the charcoal pieces were bigger than my hand. Looked around for a house that burned down but didn't see any. Got on the computer and discovered the apartment building burned down. It was raining and the weather service says no lightning in the area. My daughter and I happened to eat lunch last Friday at a new 5 Guys right across the street from the building, I took pics of it because it was bigger than I realized. Took pics this afternoon from the same place. Total loss estimated at $60 million. Too early to know anything they're still putting out hot spots. Have already heard possible insurance scam. The people that own the land and were building the apartments are a legacy pioneer family that have been here since the late 1800s and are totally upstanding. 200 tradesmen were working on the project. Tragic. Glad it was wet or there could have been fires started for miles downwind. No injuries.

Friday
1.jpg
2.jpg

Today. The parking garage in the background was hidden by the apartments.
3.jpg
4.jpg

There were pieces of this charcoal bigger than my hand all over our neighborhood.
IMG_3005.jpg
IMG_3004.jpg

Last edited:
That’s wild that the pieces carried that far. Builder’s risk premiums on wood deals are already outrageous, this won’t help.

I always assume the worst and think arson with softening rents in Arizona but really it could’ve been anything-electrical, homeless, a disgruntled sub, oily rags, etc.

Back