HPL Supercar 0w20 - 19 Ram 1500 Classic w/5.7 HEMI

1 year, almost 12k miles, and I was certainly not nice to it during that time (towing/hauling, driving like an insufferable donkey at 3am, y’know how it goes). But otherwise looks like a good report, truck now has HPL Supercar 0w30 in it, I’ll test that after a year for my own curiosity.
IMG_0365.jpeg

IMG_0366.jpeg

Metals appear to be a bit high across the board. Some engines are just prone to shedding more metal but I'll take note of your driving style. ;)

You plan to run the 30 for 12k as well?

Metals appear to be a bit high across the board. Some engines are just prone to shedding more metal but I'll take note of your driving style. ;)

You plan to run the 30 for 12k as well?
Metals are high based on what? Your feelings that you don’t like to see these numbers? Here’s another Ram, with a little over half the OP’s mileage below. I would have used Blackstone’s universal averages but unfortunately they rarely tell you the mileage they interpret as the average for that number. About the only thing that appears any worse at all is aluminum (~2ppm/1k mi vs 0.5ppm/1k in below sample), and if SuperCar is like some of the other HPLs, it may have some in virgin form as well, so you would have to subtract that from the UOA to get a true result for OP’s sample.

Other than that, OP’s iron is about 4.67ppm/1k mi vs. this sample’s 7ppm/1k; OP’s copper is lower with 68% longer mileage (I know copper can trend with time in service rather than just miles, but I’m not going to guess on that)… I’d say that based on data, the oil did at least as well as a small comparison of other similar engines like his. Considering that fuel, soot, oxidation, viscosity, and TBN are all acceptable the oil was still serviceable. But I do agree the 30 grade isn’t going to hurt.

IMG_4053.jpeg

Metals are high based on what? Your feelings that you don’t like to see these numbers? Here’s another Ram, with a little over half the OP’s mileage below. I would have used Blackstone’s universal averages but unfortunately they rarely tell you the mileage they interpret as the average for that number. About the only thing that appears any worse at all is aluminum (~2ppm/1k mi vs 0.5ppm/1k in below sample), and if SuperCar is like some of the other HPLs, it may have some in virgin form as well, so you would have to subtract that from the UOA to get a true result for OP’s sample.

Other than that, OP’s iron is about 4.67ppm/1k mi vs. this sample’s 7ppm/1k; OP’s copper is lower with 68% longer mileage (I know copper can trend with time in service rather than just miles, but I’m not going to guess on that)… I’d say that based on data, the oil did at least as well as a small comparison of other similar engines like his. Considering that fuel, soot, oxidation, viscosity, and TBN are all acceptable the oil was still serviceable. But I do agree the 30 grade isn’t going to hurt.

View attachment 225910
Agree with this. Don’t forget to subtract about 10% for the TBN as Wear Check uses the D2896 for both VOA & UOA. D4739, that most other labs use, will read about 10% lower according to Wear Check.

View attachment 225910
I'm comparing it to other UOA's & the metals are higher across the board than I typically see in a UOA. Now, I already know that is not the best way to "compare" hence why I made the following comment "Some engines are just prone to shedding more metal". There are many UOA under OP's PPM/1k results & this engine must shed more metals than many other engine UOA's posted on BITOG. It has nothing to do with my "feelings" & more to do w/your misunderstanding or other motives.

I'm comparing it to other UOA's & the metals are higher across the board than I typically see in a UOA. Now, I already know that is not the best way to "compare" hence why I made the following comment "Some engines are just prone to shedding more metal". There are many UOA under OP's PPM/1k results & this engine must shed more metals than many other engine UOA's posted on BITOG. It has nothing to do with my "feelings" & more to do w/your misunderstanding or other motives.
I think a lot of the iron is coming off the rockers where they interact with the valves, as they are not roller rockers.

Other 5.7’s are returning about the same though, Big_kahuna’s wear is at about 4.4ppm/1k over a 5,000 mile OCI.

And yes I’ll be pushing 12k again, or at least whatever I’ll be at in March of 2025 lol, now that I know the oil can do it and the engine isn’t trying to shred itself

I think a lot of the iron is coming off the rockers where they interact with the valves, as they are not roller rockers.

Other 5.7’s are returning about the same though, Big_kahuna’s wear is at about 4.4ppm/1k over a 5,000 mile OCI.

And yes I’ll be pushing 12k again, or at least whatever I’ll be at in March of 2025 lol, now that I know the oil can do it and the engine isn’t trying to shred itself
Good deal & if you test again it'll be interesting to see your results on the 30. We'll have some data here to compare to.

Good deal & if you test again it'll be interesting to see your results on the 30. We'll have some data here to compare to.
Will do!

And one little tid bit I forgot about…. Shipped via USPS on June 1. The tracking info still shows it sitting at my local post office 🙃

Will do!

And one little tid bit I forgot about…. Shipped via USPS on June 1. The tracking info still shows it sitting at my local post office 🙃
I've had the exact same thing happen. Last one I posted on here was the new Super Tech 15w-40 Full Synthetic product at WM I did a Virgin oil test on & thought for sure it got lost in the mail. Called the lab, left VM, & got the results in my inbox the same day.. PHEW!!!

Keep the foot to the floor. :cool:

“Some engines are more prone to shedding metal”… Was it the same engine family, or are you comparing a Honda Fit to a Ram when saying there’s too much metal? I looked at at least half a dozen Ram UOAs and they were all at or above the ~4.5ppm Fe/1k mark.

I provided a quick comparison of iron wear completely bereft of other bias or other factors. Gave you miles, iron ppm, copper ppm and Fe ppm/1k to compare to OP’s UOA since you apparently didn’t check any other Ram UOAs. There’s not one other explicit or implicit bias in my post. Not sure how you derive that to be a motive on my part, but “fantastic”. You win 🤦‍♀️

Virgin oxidation -23. Used Oxidation - 46.4. This seems to be a characteristic of HPL. Amsoil SS does not show large changes in oxidation values from virgin to new. The oil thickened but not too much. The acid level is low and base number strong so there is no concern there.

And lots of cast iron in the Mopar truck motor …

“Some engines are more prone to shedding metal”… Was it the same engine family, or are you comparing a Honda Fit to a Ram when saying there’s too much metal? I looked at at least half a dozen Ram UOAs and they were all at or above the ~4.5ppm Fe/1k mark.

I provided a quick comparison of iron wear completely bereft of other bias or other factors. Gave you miles, iron ppm, copper ppm and Fe ppm/1k to compare to OP’s UOA since you apparently didn’t check any other Ram UOAs. There’s not one other explicit or implicit bias in my post. Not sure how you derive that to be a motive on my part, but “fantastic”. You win 🤦‍♀️
Because of your implication I was basing my comments on "Feelings". Leave that personal bias out. "Opinion" would have been better worded. That's giving one the benefit of the doubt that they've put some thought behind their post.

Again, I'm comparing it to other UOA posted on BITOG & not this engine family. Most UOA posted here are not this high of PPM/1k. When you look at a Honda Fit & that measures 2ppm/1k & then see this one at 4.xx/1k it is shedding more metals than the Fit.. right? Hence my comment of "Some engines are more prone to shedding metal". When comparing to other UOA from the same 5.7L Hemi then 4.xx/1k may be expected results & nothing out of the ordinary... right?

Last edited:

I’m consistently below 4.5ppm/1000

Blackstone's Fe Universal Ave is in the low 20's (21-22?), but that includes a myriad of grocery getters and DD Rams that don't tow/haul often, or at all. Once you start using your truck as a truck, Fe will spike due to higher RPM. You can find many (work trucks) reports online in the 4-7 ppm, and the engines live a long, healthy life.
Nothing wrong with the OP's UOA, but I would also switch to a higher HTHS oil (as he did).

Blackstone's Fe Universal Ave is in the low 20's (21-22?), but that includes a myriad of grocery getters and DD Rams that don't tow/haul often, or at all. Once you start using your truck as a truck, Fe will spike due to higher RPM. You can find many (work trucks) reports online in the 4-7 ppm, and the engines live a long, healthy life.
Nothing wrong with the OP's UOA, but I would also switch to a higher HTHS oil (as he did).
That would be my truck lol

Back