HPL Break-In 15W40

I see @High Performance Lubricants was on here commenting on another post. I just broke in a cam with HPL break-in oil and have actually started and driven the car off the lift, down the street and back onto the lift. I am thinking of just leaving this oil in for the next few months as I finish all the stuff still needing attention. Is there a limit for time/mileage on this break in oil? Should I dump it now and go to something else? BTW, I pulled the stick and the oil looks brand new after the break in. No metal or other visible contaminants. First year B-440 Mopar. A slightly more aggressive cam than stock but just barely. Stock internals otherwise.

I see @High Performance Lubricants was on here commenting on another post. I just broke in a cam with HPL break-in oil and have actually started and driven the car off the lift, down the street and back onto the lift. I am thinking of just leaving this oil in for the next few months as I finish all the stuff still needing attention. Is there a limit for time/mileage on this break in oil? Should I dump it now and go to something else? BTW, I pulled the stick and the oil looks brand new after the break in. No metal or other visible contaminants. First year B-440 Mopar. A slightly more aggressive cam than stock but just barely. Stock internals otherwise.
I'm following to see what Dave has to say. I'd take hpls recommendation over anyone else's in this situation.

Hello. We take a different and simple to approach break in oils. If we can first agree that the big swing in break in oils came about with the introduction of the API SM additive chemistry it is easy to understand what we do. There are a lot of different approaches to break in oils, High ZDDP, Low detergent, and even low treat rates on additives to promote wear. We have even seen Chlorinated additives in break in oils. I took the logical approach which was if we did not have a break in issue using SL additive chemistry and we can still buy API SL additive chemistry, why not just use API SL chemistry and not fix a problem we don't have. The end result is a slightly uptreated SL additives break in oil that did not have issues to begin with. The good news is the break in oil is a 5,000 mile oil at least so you will not have to work about performing a short drain due to lack of chemistry. It would not hurt to spin on a new filter (probably not necessary but won't hurt) and top it off after 500 miles. Congrats on the hot rod. I remember out conversations about your cold climate uses. We are working on some things that will be right up your alley with some materials we have recently found.

David

Thanks David! Filter is cheap enough so probably change at the end of summer and the few dozen miles it will likely incur between now and then.

Back