HPL 0W-20 or 5W-20 question

I purchased HPL Premium Plus 5W-20 for my 23 RAV4 Hybrid for summer usage. I thought it was going to offer more protection than the same oil in 0W-20. But now looking at the spec sheet it looks like the 0W-20 is a little higher viscosity but the 5w-20 offers a tad more wear resistant. Is the 0W-20 actually better?

For your engine you could is either. Just use up what you bought this summer, then get whatever you want next. If you want something really cool, get the HPL Super Car 0W-20 @OVERKILL. It's a 0W-20 with a VW502/Porsche A40/ACEA A3/B4 additive package. It doesn't get any better than that for your Toyota engine.

I would've went with 0w-30 / 5w-30 if I was in your shoes. Also depends where you live that warrants the need of oils for cold climate.
I'm moving to HPL 5w-40 once my stash of 5w-30 oils are used up.

I'm moving to HPL 5w-40...
I'm running HPL Super Car 5W-40 in my 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL. It's awesome. At 2000 miles, the oil catch can is still almost empty. The engine runs smooth, no more startup rattle, even after being off for several days. This oil is awesome.

Moving up a grade on my end has to do more with spirited driving behavior and seasonal weather. But also my engine is a naturally high revving one for its displacement size. Its getting very hot here in a couple of weeks where we even get high 70s - 80s Fahrenheit ambient in 5AM in the morning. As for choices, its a hard one, the regular PCMO has an impressive 4.28 HTHS viscosity where as the HDEO Premium and Supercar are in the low border 4 range with higher SAPS. Not sure if they will make a difference but doesn't hurt to have a little extra safety factor.

I would have loved to go with the 0W-30 or 5W-30 but I'm still under warranty. Although that oil is allowed in other countries with same engine. I live in the North East.
Is the Supercar VW502 etc. better than the Dexos additive package?

I would have loved to go with the 0W-30 or 5W-30 but I'm still under warranty.
I don't follow your logic. You're worrying about the wrong thing. Say you have an engine issue, but your engine looks spotless on the inside for using HPL. I'm sure Toyota won't say "you took all precautions and took care of your engine, used a lubricant which provided more MOFT, but we'll deny your warranty because it's politically incorrect to use 0W-30 over 0W-20." If they want to deny a warranty, they will deny it even if you did every oil change with the Budweisser equivalent of motor oil at the dealership, and if they want to help you because they value your business, they will use common sense and honor your warranty. You should quit IFOW, and instead enjoy your vehicle and use the oil you think will get you the most life out of it.

I don't follow your logic. You're worrying about the wrong thing. Say you have an engine issue, but your engine looks spotless on the inside for using HPL. I'm sure Toyota won't say "you took all precautions and took care of your engine, used a lubricant which provided more MOFT, but we'll deny your warranty because it's politically incorrect to use 0W-30 over 0W-20." If they want to deny a warranty, they will deny it even if you did every oil change with the Budweisser equivalent of motor oil at the dealership, and if they want to help you because they value your business, they will use common sense and honor your warranty. You should quit IFOW, and instead enjoy your vehicle and use the oil you think will get you the most life out of it.
Didn't realize you were the authority on how warranty claims should be handled, eh?

Wow! That's was a lot to absorb for someone who doesn't have a vehicle under warranty.

I purchased HPL Premium Plus 5W-20 for my 23 RAV4 Hybrid for summer usage. I thought it was going to offer more protection than the same oil in 0W-20. But now looking at the spec sheet it looks like the 0W-20 is a little higher viscosity but the 5w-20 offers a tad more wear resistant. Is the 0W-20 actually better?
How did you measure wear resistance from a data sheet? The 5w20 is fine and my pic of the two. Yes you can move up in grade and your owners manual will allow it.

I'm basing it on the HTHS value
I don’t think you can make that assumption - wear resistance is not the same as HTHS value.

HTHS is measured at 150C - does your RAV-4 oil temperature get to 150C?

If the oil is providing separation of the parts at your operating temperature, then you’re good. And with either of those oil choices, that is what will be happening, so, you’re good.

I think your choice is good. The HPL PP 5w20 should have extremely low volatility and keep that engine super clean over longer drain intervals.

The word 'better' has many oil roads that lead to the term / expression used.
I'm not sure how you derIved that the wear protection of the 5w20s may be better than the 0w20s. Were you comparing add-packs?..... or looking at the data sheets?

We do know that the strength of add-packs can be attested to the base oil(s) used.
The 0w20 base oils generally always seem to out-perform the 5w20s. In hindsight, you have nothing to be concerned about using HPL motor oils of any grade / viscosity in normal driving situations and you haven't expressed using this brand of oil to do extreme duties.

Last edited:
Didn't realize you were the authority on how warranty claims should be handled, eh?
I appreciate your input. It's always helpful to see different perspectives.

True strength lies in compassion and understanding. The best way to handle disagreements is through mutual respect and knowledge sharing. We all have much to learn from one another, and approaching these discussions with humility and an open mind benefits everyone.

Sometimes, it's more insightful to focus on the questions we ask rather than the answers we give. My goal here is to help others and contribute positively to BITOG. Let's strive to support each other with constructive and respectful dialogue.

Thanks for understanding, and I look forward to more meaningful exchanges.

Back