HP Battery Recall

So apparently some HP Pavilion laptops had a battery recall for some models. Wife has HP Pavilion and battery is not user replaceable. Apparently the issue is battery getting hot.

So HP sent out a BIOS fix that would slowly discharge the battery and then never allow it to be charged. I think that has happened to wife's laptop. They would not tell you this was done however.

To find out if your battery is part of recall, you install a small piece of HP software and run it and it will tell your if battery was part of recall.

Ran the install of this HP software on my HP Pavilion and it said battery was not part of recall.

Tried to do the same on wife's HP Pavilion and it said some prereq software was missing and the install of the battery checker software failed.

Not sure how to proceed.

Well maybe but what helpful suggestions can you offer?

Call support. Wait on hold. Speak to someone. They'll probably tell you what you need to do to make the software run.

If it does turn out that you need to send the laptop back, make a backup of it because they'll wipe the drive and reload Windows.

Ok. I found they had another download of the battery recall test that included all the prereq.

Did that and battery is not recalled.

But battery does not hold a charge and it's not user replaceable.

Back