HP 6510b laptop hard drive failure, work pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HP notebook is from 2005, and the 80GB hard drive inside works great....and it has had A LOT of use.

Hard drives can fail at any time....they follow the bathtub curve. If they are defective they tend to die early, and then the failure rate slows down with age until it hits about 4 years where failure rates rise again due to wear inside the drive.

Your best bet is to backup your data all the time, and be gentle when you move your laptop around.

1) Place HDD in ziplock.

2) Place in freezer overnight.

3) Remove from freezer next morning

4) Connect to PC with working HDD.

5) Backup what was believed to be lost. You have about twenty minutes, tops. Drive is completely shot afterwards, save for very expensive ($800 and up) platter rebuild.

I kidd you not. If there's any "seizing" or "binding", the contraction from the cold is usually enough to get it working just long enough to save the data.

The freezer trick works in some cases, but as of 2006 we had developed a vibration/resonance based unseize technique if the motor won't spin.

All drive bearing are fluid dynamic and almost all HD park the head/arm on a ramp nowadays, no more need for freezer.

The main failure are particles contamination and fly height related head crash, wearing out the magnetic coating on the platter. The head itself is pretty strong, but the magnetic coating is not.

Flying 10nm above a 7200rpm platter is not that easy.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I kidd you not. If there's any "seizing" or "binding", the contraction from the cold is usually enough to get it working just long enough to save the data.

Another trick is to twist the drive in the plane of the platters. The inertia of the platters makes them stay still while the rest of the hard drive moves. That's worked one or twice before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back