How's the SSO been holding up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be switching to another oil soon I think for longer drain intervals. I just took a job where I'll be doing 70 mile per day commutes to rural sites in Alabama. (~20,000 miles per year)

Right now I'm using Valvoline 5W-30 Synpower with great success and very low wear, however the TBN is only showing a max drain interval of 7-10k miles. I'm looking for a 10k-15k capable oil and I'm considering the following:

1. Amsoil SSO 0W-30
2. Castrol Edge 5W-30
3. Mobil 1 5W-30 EP

Any ideas on the new Edge? The amsoil is a bit pricey...
Also - the Subaru has a 5qt sump.

"Now that's thinkin' with yer dipstick jimmy!"

Also as a side note - anyone tried 5W-20 in the 2.5L subaru engine? It's not spec'd for it but I am curious if it would help with the fuel economy.

Last edited:
Well of the 3 the SSO would be the best.......quality ain't cheap......Edge would be too new to say I would think.?

I have run the old formulation TSO and the ASL 5w-30 and am now running the ASM 0w-20 oil now. I want to run the SSO and try running it for 1.5 years. I normally run 1 year with the ASL or the ASM.

I would say the SSO and a EAO oil filt would be the best combo out there. Most $$$$$ though........... Don't know if your vehicle has an EAO available?

With 20k miles a year and mostly highway miles, I would use M1 5W30 EP in summer and M1 5W20 EP in winter. If you're gutsy, try M1 0W20 all year, you'll gas mileage improve by about 3-4% compares with xW30.

I have M1 0W20 in '00 MB E430, the recommended is 0W40, the engine is much quieter and gas mileage is better by about 5-6% for both city and highway.

Why ask if the SSO is holding up and then say the Amsoil is a bit pricy and ask about others?

If you use the Amsoil 0w20 or 0w30 and the Eao filter you might be surprised the cost per mile over the 20K or once a year loop!

If I am going to bash Amsoil. I just say it like it is and try not to beat around the bush.

According to the OP, he is looking for an OCI of 10k-15k. I think he has narrowed it down to the correct 3 oils. Either one of the three would work fine, and all 3 are guaranteed to 15,000 miles under the driving conditions stated.

He doesn't have a MB or BMW, he has a 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i.

Perhaps I should have elaborated...

Both MB229.5 and BMW LL oils have to be able to withstand longer OCI's - around 13k-15k miles in the US and sometimes more in other markets...my point being that these oils are actually approved by auto manufacturers for such long OCI's, not just by the company that's trying to sell you their oil.

I do agree that all 3 oils he mentioned would work fine, but as of late GC has showing up with $25-$30 5qt/filter oil change specials.

Unless your Subaru came with the Woodpecker Engine, 5w20 should be fine, except for extreme heat or towing. You can even switch out the diff oils to 80W85 or whatever the lowest visc is listed in the manual these days.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Unless your Subaru came with the Woodpecker Engine, 5w20 should be fine, except for extreme heat or towing. You can even switch out the diff oils to 80W85 or whatever the lowest visc is listed in the manual these days.

With that in mind the Amsoil 0W20 should work, it is a pretty thick 20 grade oil. OTOH the SSO 0w30 is a thin 30 grade and was specifically designed for longer oil change intervals. Under severe conditions it is recommended for 17,500 miles, and 35,000 normal service with one of their filters. I think in your case I'd lean toward the SSO. A UOA would confirm how well the 0W20 would work for you vs the 0W30, problem is it would take a few years to figure out which is best.
21.gif

SSO holds up great. Use it with confidence, sample at 10K run a UOA the first interval. Second interval 20K should not be a problem. Sure it costs more, but relative to the two other oils it's not that much more. I would choose it over ASL.

On my first OCI of SSO, I ran it to 8k miles under some pretty harsh conditions and it held up pretty well. Swapped to a new turbo, towing, off-roading, 5 mile daily trips, lots of visits to the redline, etc.
19.gif
There's also a modified WRX owner running it to 8k as well.

N/A Subes are very easy on oil and you could go much farther, IMO. Castrol Edge is already close a 20 grade and that's about as thin as I would go.

-Dennis

Subaru 2.5 has a 4.5 qt sump. Not 5 qt.

I would not run 5w-20 in it (that is about the only oil not listed in the manual)

I've had the best results in my 2007 Subaru with Halvoline DS in 5w-30.

You are not going to get Civic / Corolla MPG with a AWD Subaru. I'd say very low 30s will be the best you'll see.

Take care, Bill

SSO will go 15-20k easily. Like Pablo said, do a 10-12k interval first, and work up from there, but 20k should be do-able.

I don't think that a 5w-20 would gain anything in fuel mileage unless you are seeing short trips. We did some dyno testing of oil weights on my 2.2L NA a few years ago, and really saw no measurable gain from 5w-20 to 15w-50, especially since the stock Subaru oil pans have those huge baffles and windage tray that keeps the crank separate from most oil spray. Also, there was a tad more piston slap with the lighter weights; while not totally damaging, it's definitely alarming to hear. I ended up going with 5w-40 weights in that racecar to follow the 40-wt recommendation from Subaru for their severe service, especially since most of them are quite robust, with no penalty in power or mileage.

Given that, SSO 0w-30 or Edge 10w-30 are good long-drain options for you and still fit the Subaru's weight requirements....if the Edge is on clearance in your area at WM, even better.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

You are not going to get Civic / Corolla MPG with a AWD Subaru. I'd say very low 30s will be the best you'll see.

Take care, Bill

I've seen well over 35 in my ex's Legacy automatic. I'd think a lighter car with the same engine would at least get that good?

I've got one UOA with SSO running 14.5k on my 06 SI, after a run of the older Series 2000 0w30 running for 9.5k. I'm currently running SSO to 16k on my SI (at about 12.5k now).

If you want to run 15k or longer with confidence, I'd say go with the SSO 0w30.

If you want to save a bit of money and go with something locally bought, I'd say Pennzoil Platinum for $20/5 quarts, running 10k oil change intervals.

Are you still in warranty? If so, 7500 mile oil changes with Pennzoil Platinum until warranty is up.

Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back