How's about new/old school...0w20 winter/5w30 summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a long time since I've posted on the board, went back into the workforce 11 years ago, and pretty much have been running a little bit of everything in that time from Amsoil to Bizol to Brad Penn to Schaeffer's to Lubrication Engineers..and having been catching up on some light reading here...pose a thought for everyone:

Since we all are anal about the care and lubrication of our beloved engines, why not use a 0w20 in the winter months, then switch to a 5w30 for the summer months, like the old school method of 10w30 and 10w40 in the good old days?

Now before the flaming starts, I am in no way starting a argument based topic here saying yes, no, or right, or wrong in this, but merely want your opinions on this idea, that is unless I am late to the party by not being around for so long!!

Talk on fellow members!!!

There is no need to do that anymore. You can stick with one type of oil year-round
smile.gif

If you feel a bit nervous about using 0w20 in the summer than by all means do it. No harm. I run 5w30 in the summer in my Ford which calls for 5w20. I’m basically splitting difference. Why not. Just more interesting stuff for a Bitgoer to attend to.

Last edited:
What does the manufacturer recommend for your vehicle(s)? If the answer is 0W-20 or 5W-20, either one of the two you suggested or 5W-20 would work year-round in Pennsylvania. Don't use the 0W-20 even in winter, if the manufacturer asks for xW-30.

For a short tripped vehicle in the mountain snow areas it may make sense. 0w20 for the winter for easier starts and because the vehicle won't ever get to temp.

What about tire pressure? Since the tires won't ever get warm should you keep them aired up a little more? Would that help or harm snow performance?

Only aspect of oil you should change for temperature is the “W” (winter) SAE spec. You still want the oil to be the appropriate viscosity when up to temp. If you’re concerned, I’d run 0W-30 in the winter and 5W-30 in the summer. Or, an even better approach for your climate, 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer.

I would use 5Wx30 all the time I think it's rated down to -22°F
Or use 5Wx30 winter 10Wx30 summer

What does OM specify? Oh wait, who cares ... lol

Originally Posted By: CR94
Don't use the 0W-20 even in winter, if the manufacturer asks for xW-30.
I think this is good advice. To the OP, I think if your interest is to preserve your engine as much as possible, I think it would do well to switch between multigrades to match ambient environments (seasons.) My most reoccurring thought is that they must take advantage of multigrades in engine design in some manner to benefit its key performance indicators, like power, gas mileage, ect. In this mindset, switching between multigrades must be a benefit for the engine's longevity in the same sense as "old school's" protocol.

The reasonable counterargument I get is that there are those vehicles that go for a very long time on a single multigrade diet.

...But this is BITOG so here:

I run xW-30, but switch to xW-40 if the day's high is >90F
5W-XX, but switch to 10W if the day's low is >40F, or 15W if the day's low is >60F

These are rough numbers; I may also mix grades to fit the estimated season.

I tried a 0w20 in a 5w30 spec engine in the dead of winter ( 0F > -15F starts) and it was insanely noisy when warmed up and way down on power. Out it went.

Fun changing oil at zero with high wind.

Its all about what your engine will tolerate -- but the recommended viscosity is chosen for it hot properties not warmup properties.

I use 5W20 in the winter and 5W30 on my two vehicles in Southern Ontario. Why you ask? It gives me something to think about and I feel better doing it. No science behind it at all, only old school thought!

To answer the question of vehicle specs, it is a Kia Soul, which is spec’d for 5w20, but can use 5w30 and 10w30 if the temperature stays above 10F. Like I stated, was just a thought experiment for me. I have been using 5w30 for the past year, and was curious if it really would make a noticeable difference at all. Butt dyno feelings don’t count!!!

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I use 5W20 in the winter and 5W30 on my two vehicles in Southern Ontario. Why you ask? It gives me something to think about and I feel better doing it. No science behind it at all, only old school thought!

+1

no need to re-compose the same thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back