How would you Rank Amsoil OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you guys rank Amsoil OE? I've used it in the past for one OCI and it seemed good. Amsoil's generally thought of as a top tier oil, and that is how i see it. I don't ever really use it because of the price. I always shop at walmart so i always buy oil for cheap.

I noticed OE is relatively cheap, and i thought about picking up a case in a couple months and running a couple OCI's again just because.

How would you guys rank the OE/XL line of oils? I noticed they have NOACKS of around 10% so most likely they are base group III oils.

Would you say it is comparable to PP, M1, Synpower, Edge, and QSUD or would you place it in the Mobil Super Syn, Peak syn, ST, and other house synthetics catagory?

by only using it once i think i would place it as not quite as good as M1 or PUP/PP, but on par with QSUD.

Just curious on your Thoughts?

Going by price, I would think it's similar to the cheaper Grp III oils you mentioned.

Amsoil OE is no better than name brand synthetic oils on the shelves at Walmart. Currently Walmart has regular and high mileage Mobil 1 rollback to $23.xx/jug, and there is $12 rebate for M1 from Mobil makes the final price of $11.xx for 5-qt.

Amsoil OE is fine. I drive too much to make it cost effective for me. How long is your oci? If its every few months fine; however money wise and cost PUP,PP, or M1 EP can most likely be had for less. Their SS oil is great if you wanna do long oci,just buy a decent filter and change it every 3k miles and top off. On any oil its the stop and go that hurts oils most. If your looking for bottom dollar budget syn good for 5-6k that quaker state syn is hard to beat and in 5w30 has a sub 10 noack. Look on to the bigger picture as you are trying to take care of your car and any decent synthetic with filter will give you good protection and performance.

Almost as good as RP API but more expensive. It is a good oil though. If I knew a dealer or had a way to get it cheap I would use it.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Amsoil OE is fine. I drive too much to make it cost effective for me. How long is your oci? If its every few months fine; however money wise and cost PUP,PP, or M1 EP can most likely be had for less. Their SS oil is great if you wanna do long oci,just buy a decent filter and change it every 3k miles and top off. On any oil its the stop and go that hurts oils most. If your looking for bottom dollar budget syn good for 5-6k that quaker state syn is hard to beat and in 5w30 has a sub 10 noack. Look on to the bigger picture as you are trying to take care of your car and any decent synthetic with filter will give you good protection and performance.

Change the filter every 3000 miles? That's absurd. Especially if using a top tier filter with synthetic media.
An oil filters efficiency INCREASES as the media loads up. So a filter with 3000 miles is more efficient than a new one which translates to stopping smaller particulate which can translate into less wear.
So you may actually be increasing wear over time with more frequent filter changes due to the new filter being unable to trap particulate the previous one was catching.
Maybe this is what they mean by "over maintaining" or whatever nonsense some member was trying to convince himself of the other day.
Do what you want but don't fool yourself into believing you are in any way helping extend engine life or lessen wear by allowing larger particulate to remain unfiltered for longer vs a slightly loaded one.

In regards to Amsoil. When I used SS exclusively for maybe 8-10 years I noticed almost like clockwork at 5000 miles I was down a quart. And now using SSO in my c3 sure enough at 300 hours/5000 miles I'm down a quart.
I wonder if this is by design. Hear me out.
Now Amsoil says 25000 miles right. Well I've never seen a used oil analysis posted here in the gasoline section where anyone was able to run that long without adding make up oil over the interval.
Is it possible Amsoil evaporates by design,requiring topping up which raises TBN and combats the acids formed. If so that's genius.
Sell the customer oil. Over 25000 miles customer has to add a quart every do often which means more product sold
As far as ranking OE vs any other api oil I really can't say. But it's certified and therefore should be able to run the mileage the manufacturer recommends.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Almost as good as RP API but more expensive. It is a good oil though. If I knew a dealer or had a way to get it cheap I would use it.

How exactly can you say it's "almost" as good as RP's api certified line?
Do tell. What makes it "almost" as good? Where is it inferior,in service vs rp's api line and how exactly are you qualifying each oil?
Tbn retention?oxidization resistance?wear control?
You can only glean the condition of the oil via a used oil analysis so if that's what you are basing your opinion on you aren't seeong a complete picture. In fact I'd compare it to a puzzle misding more than half its pieces.
But please enlighten me. I'd love to know how you qualify that statement and where exactly can I find that data.
Or did you call deven's friend "Jimmy" over there at RP.

I'm in no way bashing either oil. I like both brands and use both whenever I can find either reasonably priced

I was being nice by saying "almost." I thought that would be a more diplomatic word choice. I love it when people ask this question and then answer it in the same post. Perhaps if I would have said it was "almost" as good as Mobil 1 you wouldn't have such a proem eh? You know why I said that. It does have better TBN retention. It has a better additive package. It is more cost effective and readily available and on and on. I don't know any Deven or Jimmy, but I do know it (RP) is great oil.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I was being nice by saying "almost." I thought that would be a more diplomatic word choice. I love it when people ask this question and then answer it in the same post. Perhaps if I would have said it was "almost" as good as Mobil 1 you wouldn't have such a proem eh? You know why I said that. It does have better TBN retention. It has a better additive package. It is more cost effective and readily available and on and on. I don't know any Deven or Jimmy, but I do know it (RP) is great oil.

I think you are mistaking the RP API lineup with M1 0w-40, LOL!!!!
wink.gif

That said, the recent UOA on the HPS product showed excellent TBN retention.

Additive package-wise, on an API SN oil, I think you are just tossing excrement to see what sticks when you make statements like that. RP looks like Valvoline. Nothing that would demonstrate the product as "exceptional" stands out. AMSOIL OE is $7/quart retail BTW, so pretty cost effective. Dealer/PC price is of course even lower.

And your posts regarding RP are about the furthest thing from diplomatic. I think "propaganda" might be a bit closer
wink.gif

Overkill is correct. Retail is $7.05 for OE. Dealer/PC price is $4.70 a QT, which is what I'm able to buy it for. Of course after I ship it to my house it comes out to about $5.75 a qt, so it's competitive to walmarts pricing on major synthetics when bought in jugs.

RP API isn't a bad oil but it is does cost the same per QT as OE when bought at Walmart. Retail for retail, the price is similar. I won't knock RP API as it looks just like synpower which is one of my favorite synthetics. Synpower has returned excellent UOA's for me.

I've just considered buying a couple cases of OE since they will ship it to my door for a good price.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Amsoil OE is likely similar to regular Mobil 1, PP, or QUSD.

More like similar to economy group III oils like Supertech or Mobil Super Synthetic.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Looking at PQIA closely the add pack is almost identical to MSS with a lower NOACK %. Both oils have a lot of Boron in them.

Hello , there is something that you should remember about OE oil, that it uses the same base stock oil that in AMSOIL signature series, I mean 100% synthetic , not group III , it is PAO group IV , I have contacted them and they confirmed that , otherwise they should not print 100% synthetic on the package, the differences came in the additives that make the SS last longer in the engine, I think it is good synthetic oil, personally I don't like to run the oil more that what is recommended in the owner manual even if SS confirms it .
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ashrafjaafar
Hello , there is something that you should remember about OE oil, that it uses the same base stock oil that in AMSOIL signature series, I mean 100% synthetic , not group III , it is PAO group IV , I have contacted them and they confirmed that , otherwise they should not print 100% synthetic on the package, the differences came in the additives that make the SS last longer in the engine, I think it is good synthetic oil, personally I don't like to run the oil more that what is recommended in the owner manual even if SS confirms it .

Wow here's an old thread brought back to life. I doubt that's the case with the base stock. With regard to 100% synthetic, in the US they can call a Group III oil a full synthetic oil. All the oil companies are doing it and have done so for years.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Wow here's an old thread brought back to life. I doubt that's the case with the base stock. With regard to 100% synthetic, in the US they can call a Group III oil a full synthetic oil. All the oil companies are doing it and have done so for years.

So product labeling does differentiate?
100% Synthetic is Group IV?
Full Synthetic is Group III?

Hello , there is something that you should remember about OE oil, that it uses the same base stock oil that in AMSOIL signature series, I mean 100% synthetic , not group III , it is PAO group IV , I have contacted them and they confirmed that..........

This is not true. Something got mixed up.

OE and XL do use the same base stock. SS does not.

Not sure who you contacted, but it was not Amsoil.com they would not say this. OE is a good oil and I find the price not to be too crazy and in line with others. I sell a decent amount and I use it our new cars for a few changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back