How water proof are sunroofs

Let me clarify-they don't leak in to the passenger compartment. LOL......

Which was GMBoy's point, the seal alone will not keep water out so they need to design the entire system to channel water away from the passenger compartment. Much like how flashing and gutters on all work together on the roof of a house.

I have had 2 sunroofs, no leaks. I am mostly indifferent to them, won't pay more for them, prefer to not have one due to weaker structurally, but generally indifferent.

No issues with any of the sunroofs in our family. The external seal may have shrunk or come apart in some way. It will allow water by but should not be such a large volume that it overwhelms the internal rain channels. As others have said, check the seal around the sunroof glass as well as the drain tubes.

I checked all of the drains with weed Wacker string and they are all clear. It doesn't leak in the rain even a hard rain only when pressurized water is sprayed directly over it. The car was had enough pressure and so did a hose with my finger partially over the tip to cause pressure. The water comes in and splashes in the drain and then will spray out into the cabin. It's not a lot of water but it's enough you feel it hit you. With the cover closed the back side of the cover catches that little splash and it doesn't enter the cabin.
How much trouble did you experience trying to find the two rear drains?

I've never had a sunroof leak internally, but one distinction that has not been noted is the move away from simple sliding panels, to those that slide and tilt.

WIth a slide-only panel, it's possible to engineer it with a perimeter gasket backed by a skirt, or lip, that forms a press fit seal against the aperature like a door gasket does.

The panel only has to drop down and slide back, unilke a slide-and-tilt, where the panel must allow for the upward vertical displacement in situ to allow the rear to lift up for the vent function.

That precludes some sort of perimeter lip, and when the friction-contact-only felt-faced seal wears, the backup drains are pressed into duty.

As with everything else, there are good executions, and bad executions.

VW's tend to suffer from drain line issues, aside from dirt clogging, the traps at the end tend to clog (some TSB's state to remove them), sometimes the joint connectors somehow work their way loose.

Having recently acquired an old Audi, I wonder what the brilliant engineering minds were thinking when they designed the fuell filler cavity drain so small in diameter, and prone to clogging with environmental debris.

I had an aftermarket glass moonroof installed in my NX some 25 years ago. It was a removable pop-up glass panel. It had a thick compression rubber gasket. Obviously there were no drains at all and it still did not leak.

All modern sunroofs since the 90s always allow drops of water to come in. There is a small gap between the rubber and the metal. This is intentional . the idea is to allow a small gap so when the water goes in, it does so at low velocities, and drips onto the drain channel rails. Then the water will drain off the channels to the drain holes on the front side and rear of the sheet metal, in total 4 holes, connected to 4 hoses, each inside each pillars. In very heavy rain, you can actually hear the water flowing through these drains, but none should fall inside in the cabin, provided the 4 drain holes are not clogged. If you high pressure hose along the sunroof, then you are gonna get splashed , because they are not designed for high pressure sprays.

So it would appear as though a recalibration of the sunroof helped. I did the recalibration procedure and I actually have less wind noise and now I can spray it with a hose and watch the water trickle in but it doesn't spray into the cabin. Shining a flashlight around the seal I noticed on the back corners a small amount of light shines through the very small gap between the seal and roof. Not sure how much if any I should see. I've never tested any other sunroof this way. 🤷
See if there is also any manual adjustment. Maybe you can get it to have a little bit of a tighter fit.

On my minivan the glass was sticking out and not flush with the roof. Didn’t leak but bothered my OCD. I found the adjustment screws and was able to get it all flush with the roof.

I've always specifically avoided sunroofs because I've always seen some leaking at one moment or the other, or the plastic becoming brittle and breaking.
My only ever car with a sunroof is my current Honda Accord...I hate it and keep the curtain closed at all time :D
(it isn't leaking yet)

Apart from that I also have a convertible, but again I keep the hard top on almost all the time.

It isn't lost on me ;)
I just like the Barchetta themselves as a car, and don't care for the convertible part. Hence the optional hard top, Brittany is a very rainy part of the world 😂

2009 Saturn Vue in my Sig leaks like crazy. Luckily my daughter is not tall enough to see the tape that my Son in law put around all the seals. Its dry now.:p

No they don't. OR-maybe more specifically GM SUNROOFS ALL LEAK.....
They all leak. You just don't see the leak because the water is managed. If what you say was true then why have drains? A powerful car wash will push water past the seals and that water will drain out - check it out in a car wash. I've fixed sunroof leaks for domestic and foriegn cars.

Semantics. A properly designed sunroof will channel water that has gotten past the seal away from the cabin and prevent leakage. I think it would be more appropriate to say sunroofs are not waterproof but water resistant and they prevent leaks.
Ok we can say it that way too. Same idea different wording.

Ok we can say it that way too. Same idea different wording.
As I said, it comes down to semantics. The word leak has a negative connotation and that's why I would not want to use the term unless we talk about water ingress that overwhelms the drainage system. I wouldn't say a tire has a leak if it loses 1 psi over the course of a month.

Back