How to Use a Road Force Balancer

This is why I insist on getting the RF results from the shop.

If they're not to my liking, I send any new tires back (which I ordered online in the first place). Since I always have at least two sets per car (winter/non-winter), I always have at least one that drives smooth. If anyone tries to gaslight me into thinking it's my suspension, I say nope, I have a perfectly good set over here that drives fine. Helps me stick to my guns.

If it really hits the fan, BBB is your friend.
You should buy your own Hunter Road Force balancer like I did. Then you will really know what you are insisting on for being perfect isn't always so easily possible, or even necessary.

You should buy your own Hunter Road Force balancer like I did. Then you will really know what you are insisting on for being perfect isn't always so easily possible, or even necessary.
I wouldn't say "perfect", but I had a pretty horrifying experience with TireRack once.

By their own standards, they sent me a totally out of whack brand new wheel/tire combo. It took over a year for the dust to settle on that one and finally get them to right their wrong.

Had I not been so insistent in the first place (just another clueless customer), I'd have been SOL. I suspect that's how most tire buyers are, and they rely on that sort of ignorance to operate profitably.

Regarding your last comment, I actually agree that RFV isn't the be-all and end-all predictor of whether driver will experience NVH. It is, however, a very good proxy, IME. In this example, TireRack was trying to hide behind their claim of the tires being "in spec" as to why they thought the issue was with my vehicle, and not what they sold me.

Last edited:
Back