How to Stop the BP OIl Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Javacontour, I do not like that either but they have to make a choice and reflect customer preferences in their decisions.They can scrap BP franchise and go with some other.

If we do not punish recklessness with our purchasing power (stations wield that purchasing power too) then we can not say we did our part in restoring balance.

LTVibe, I hope somebody does that.Citgo maybe? Or Road Ranger which I am currently buying my pure gas from.

You do realize that gas just goes into the pipeline system, and comes back out at some terminal.

So the gas you buy at Citgo, Shell, XOM or anywhere else is likely refined by BP.

The only way to avoid buying BP gas is to not buy gas, period.

So boycotting the local BP station does nothing that hurts BP and everything to hurt a local business owner.

If you really want to hurt BP, don't buy any gas at all, for the next 100 years or so. Ridiculous, I know, but then so is boycotting the local BP station hoping it will hurt BP corporate.

+1. Excellent response!

Quote:
Well, drive BP out of business in the US.

What a brilliant idea. Drive the company out of business so the American tax payer will have to foot the bill. Brilliant!!
spankme2.gif

Quote:
Gas price should be around 10 bucks a gallon.That will help putting a stop to gas usage and open up new alternatives, make those alternatives profitable to venturers.

Gas tax is the ultimate solution.I support it, do you?

That worked GREAT in Spain and the rest of Europe. Look how well their economy is going. Why don't you move there to take advantage of their high gas prices...

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Well, drive BP out of business in the US. In every way we can.Punish the BP in every way we can.Punish anybody/any company/any business that does business with BP.Punish gas stations that carry BP logo.I do not care, it is up to them to trash BP contracts. Say 'an act of God', say whatever but do not carry BP signs.

Do not use gas? That is ideal, my immediate concern is punishing BP.I do nto want BP to profit from my business.I want Citgo to make money, I want Mobil to make money,I want Shell to make money as long as they do not mess the oceans.

By causing BP logo carrying businesses suffering, I am telling them to stop that business relationship with BP.BP makes money through franchise, right? Trash that franchise.

Gas price should be around 10 bucks a gallon.That will help putting a stop to gas usage and open up new alternatives, make those alternatives profitable to venturers.

Gas tax is the ultimate solution.I support it, do you?

Do I support a gas tax? H#@& NO!

What happened is a tragedy, no doubt about it. The focus needs to be on stopping the uncontrolled flow of oil and taking every possible step to focus on remediating the damage to the environment and the economy in the area. What DOES NOT need to happen is the exploitation of this event to a political end to undermine the economy, bend people over and put many more thousands of people out of work by trying to put BP out of business. How do you hold a company responsible if you drive them to bankruptcy?
I'm all for accountability but there is plenty of time for blame AFTER the leak is stopped. The constructive way to deal with the event is to explore the practices that led to the spill and make sure that they do not happen again. There is no way that BP will not come out of this unscathed. BP leadership (the CEO) has already bit the dust over this. This company will be held responsible for billions of dollars (the $20B already put up is merely chump change in the process.) BTW: Let's see how much of that really goes to help those affected.
I'm motivated to do my part to help! It is now 12:32 AM here and my Ranger Pickup is at a 1/2 tank. I'm going to drive the 12.5 miles to the nearest 24/7 BP station and fill up (heck, I might even buy premium!) In addition, I at any time, see picketers in front of a BP station, I will stop and fill up whether I need gas or not. Here locally, there was a group picketing in front of a BP station and it was on the front page of the paper with the hours that they would be picketing. I SO BADLY wanted to go buy gas while they were picketing but I work for a living to help support the government who created drilling procedures that has the industry drilling for oil off shore at a depth that could create a catastrophe like this. There is no doubt in my mind (and it has already started) that this will be used to force cap and trade down our throat. Like our leadership says, never waste a good crisis. My rant is over, thank you.

Actually, I WOULD be in favor of a tax on imported oil. Let's get the actual cost of that oil, including what we spend on policing the world with our military factored into that price.

That would provide a great incentive to figure out how to use less foreign oil.

It was just a matter of time. BP just happened to be the one who was holding the bag.

BP isnt the bad guy... we are.

We need to decide if we are going to use oil or not. If we are we need to go after the easiest safest oil not the hardest.

If not we need to change our policies to encourage alternatives. Just be aware that will carry a cost to the economy (read political suicide).

The environment consistently rates dead last among most important factor with voters.

Last edited:
Actually, I WOULD be in favor of a tax on imported oil. Let's get the actual cost of that oil, including what we spend on policing the world with our military factored into that price.

Cheap oil fuels the economy. A strong economy allows resources to be directed at alternatives and improves peoples lives so that they can afford them.

Taxing oil is just nuts. I wish they would remove most of the taxes that are ALREADY on it. This can only help the economy. Especially the poor. The poor and middle class are the ONLY ones that suffer from high gas prices. We should be doing everything we can to make gas as cheap as possible.

Including turning the continental shelf into Swiss cheese if necessary.

If it's not oil, it will be lithium or whatever else the new "green" energy source will be. There is no free lunch and we will have to be involved in foreign affairs, oil or not.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
it will be lithium or whatever else the new "green" energy source will be.

For correctness, Lithium's not a source of energy.

There aren't many real "sources", and the iones that are most useful are finite.

There is no free lunch and we will have to be involved in foreign affairs, oil or not.

I thought you just stated that you want oil to be a free lunch.

Quote:
Lithium's not a source of energy.

That is correct, but it is required for the green "utopia" that the greenies what to push on everyone else...regardless of the cost. All of those MILLIONS of wind mills the greenies want everywhere have to feed into something...

From a quick search, the largest sources of lithium are in Bolivia and China. Not exactly friendly or freedom loving countries. Keeping oil and coal as the primary energy sources seems to be in our best interest.
Quote:
I thought you just stated that you want oil to be a free lunch.

Have no idea where you get that. I clearly stated we will be around the globe, oil or not. All you'll be doing is trading one high value commodity for another.

We pay the bill anyway, though you are welcome to pay all the taxes you want just don't ask me to join you .

Originally Posted By: Steve S
We pay the bill anyway,

Could say the same about agricultural subsidies too.

You're paying the same, whether it's cheaper subsidised ag stuff, or more expensive grocery prices.

Subsideies, wherever they occur don't make for efficiency.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

We pay the bill anyway, though you are welcome to pay all the taxes you want just don't ask me to join you .

But some are asked to pay more than others based on the income tax. Just because someone has worked hard and done well is no reason to ask them to pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes.

So I say tax oil so that those who are using the oil are those who are paying the tax on that IMPORTED oil.

I'm not saying tax all oil, only oil that is imported. If folks don't want to pay, they can use less stuff that relies upon oil.

I can't legally opt out of income taxes, but if we shifted some of the tax burden off of income tax and onto those who use large quantities of oil. That is, those citizens who choose not to downsize, who make choices that keep us dependent upon foreign oil, then they chose to pay those taxes.

As long as our federal foreign policy largely revolves around oil, any oil that is imported should reflect the costs of that foreign policy.

That would provide a great incentive to find feasible alternatives to foreign oil.

Cheap oil fuels the economy. A strong economy allows resources to be directed at alternatives and improves peoples lives so that they can afford them.

Taxing oil is just nuts. I wish they would remove most of the taxes that are ALREADY on it. This can only help the economy. Especially the poor. The poor and middle class are the ONLY ones that suffer from high gas prices. We should be doing everything we can to make gas as cheap as possible.

Including turning the continental shelf into Swiss cheese if necessary.

If it's not oil, it will be lithium or whatever else the new "green" energy source will be. There is no free lunch and we will have to be involved in foreign affairs, oil or not.

Cheap energy may fuel the economy. However, giving billions to folks who don't particularly like us is also a drag on the economy when you figure what it costs in military might to keep oil "stable"

The tax on oil would be designed to reflect the TRUE costs of using that oil. Foreign oil would be more than domestic because one has to pay the tax on imported oil.

The economy would adapt and find the most efficient means of energy, and would do it more accurately if the cost of the oil more truly reflected the costs that we don't see, such as the cost of the military.

While I don't necessarily believe all the stuff about the verboten topic, I do believe that relying on cheap fossil fuels will prove unsustainable. I believe we are using energy stored over long periods of time faster than it's being reproduced.

Fossil fuels are just that, fossils that have become store energy. Plant and animal life that over time has become petroleum and coal. In the last 150 years, how many years of plant and animal life have we consumed as fossil fuels?

I think for many reasons, we need to find alternatives to fossil fuels.

Will petroleum still have a place? Sure, but not burned up in an internal combustion engine.

Just as the economy is not sustainable on credit, we cannot continue to borrow energy from the past and use it at a higher rate than it's stored in the planet.

Quote:
The tax on oil would be designed to reflect the TRUE costs of using that oil.

Please provide an equation as to the "TRUE" cost of using that oil. How much more per gallon should gas be.

Please explain how we won't be exchanging dealing with one group of people that don't like us for another.

How are people going to afford all that wiz bang new "green" stuff with economy perpetually in tank due to your taxes on energy.

High gas prices impact the POOR and middle class the most. You WANT these people to be worse off than they are already.

Quote:
You're paying the same, whether it's cheaper subsidised ag stuff, or more expensive grocery prices.

Corn (ethanol) subsidies have caused food prices to rise. So we get it on both ends. Typical of subsidies.
Quote:

How fascinating it is that you want MASSIVE subsidies for "green energy."

Quote:
The tax on oil would be designed to reflect the TRUE costs of using that oil.

Please provide an equation as to the "TRUE" cost of using that oil. How much more per gallon should gas be.

Please explain how we won't be exchanging dealing with one group of people that don't like us for another.

How are people going to afford all that wiz bang new "green" stuff with economy perpetually in tank due to your taxes on energy.

High gas prices impact the POOR and middle class the most. You WANT these people to be worse off than they are already.

Actually, I want the poor to have to carry their own weight. If that were to happen, the middle class might actually be able to survive. Since over 50% of the nation doesn't pay any income tax, I'll all for fewer income taxes and taxing thing such as IMPORTED oil. (You seem to be missing that key modifier.)

We don't have to pay any more if we make choices such that we no longer have to import oil.

You are missing that aspect of it.

How much will oil cost when there is none? How will that impact the economy? How will that impact global stability?

I'm all for free markets. But let's have the markets reflect the true price.

How do you calculate the tax on imported oil?

Cost of military operation in and around the gulf to stabilize the middle east. Costs of Israeli assistance. Economic costs of trade deficit, the oil importing portion. Those are some of the things that would go into such a tax.

So the little incursion into Iraq, repaid by a tax on imported oil.

We know how many barrels we import, so figure the costs, divide by the number of imported barrels and that's what is paid for each barrel of imported oil.

If the economy finds this is too expensive, it will figure out how to stop importing oil.

If we are using locally sourced energy, unless the folks of Indiana suddenly no longer get along with KY or IL, we are buying from ourselves.

The wizbang green stuff (and who said it was green? I said we need to stop importing fossil fuels.) It won't be here overnight, so as the technology develops, the price comes down.

This has been true for any technology that eventually becomes ubiquitous. Look at cars, televisions, computers, even energy became cheaper as it became wide spread.

Why would any technology that is not imported energy be any different?

Again, I want an economy where the costs are borne by those who benefit. If someone is poor and driving a car, they need to pay the taxes to support that and not depend on someone else for a hand out that is channeled through the government system.

So if it takes some short term pain for us to be come more self sufficient, either as the poor, or as a nation as a whole, I personally believe we are better off enduring that now, than waiting for a future change that is likely more painful, more long lasting pain, and certainly more expensive.

It's like that Fram commercial from the 70's and 80's, you can pay me now, or you can pay me later.

We can see that our welfare system, our economy, and our energy policy are not sustainable.

There are fewer paying taxes supporting more on the dole.
There are fewer producing sources of fossil fuels supporting more demand.
One cannot continue to borrow without repaying. This is true for energy as well as money.

We cannot remain on the dole of cheap foreign energy any more than we can allow more and more to expect society to pay their way in terms of health care and other social services.

Neither trend is sustainable.

So tell me, how do we keep up what we are doing with fewer tax payers and more poor? How do we continue to do what we are doing with fewer sources of fossil fuels and more world wide demand.

I want cheap energy too.

I simply don't believe fossil fuels will remain the cheap energy source. Certainly IMPORTED fossil fuels are not when the policy costs are factored in.

I simply want to set up a dis-incentive to continue to rely on fossil fuels.

If you think fossil fuels are the way to go, present your plan to support the energy needs of the US using only domestically produced fossil fuels at the same low cost we enjoy today.

I don't think it can be done. The cheap easy oil has been pumped out. It's now the expensive, hard to get oil and the conversion of oil shale and coal to fuels that we see as domestic fossil fuel sources.

There is natural gas as well, but I'm confident we can use that faster than nature will reproduce that as well.

So what will happen to the economy with say...$15 a gallon gas. How many resources will be available to develop these alternatives? Not many. Just getting food will be tough.

The better the economy, the more resources are available to develop new things. A bad economy, as you openly want ("short term pain") is the opposite of this.
Quote:
This has been true for any technology that eventually becomes ubiquitous. Look at cars, televisions, computers, even energy became cheaper as it became wide spread.

Do you think they would have so ubiquitous if their prices were artificially kept 5 times higher? These were made available due to a free market. The exact opposite of what you want here.

And as SteveS and I said, we will be paying the bills to be across the globe, oil or not. Your logic assumes that this will not be happening if we didn't need foreign oil. We were across the globe long before we needed large amounts of foreign oil. So simply adding up our activity in certain areas holds NO water.
Quote:
I'm all for free markets.

Yet you want to put MASSIVE duties on a very important consumer good that makes lives better.
33.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

How fascinating it is that you want MASSIVE subsidies for "green energy."

Show me where I've said that...

You won't find it.

No, and you are deliberately misconstruing what I've continually and consistently said.

Fossil fuels get a leg up, so it's fair IMO that renewables get at least THE SAME assistance.

But what I really want, and you know it, is to remove the artificial assistance that oil and other fossil fuels get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back