How to Stop the BP OIl Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they could take a pipe with a cutoff valve on it down there. Slip the pipe over the broken pipe with the valve open.
Weld the pipe onto the other pipe and then close the valve. Not sure how well welding equipment works that deep or whether it would be possible while using a sub.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Maybe they could take a pipe with a cutoff valve on it down there. Slip the pipe over the broken pipe with the valve open.
Weld the pipe onto the other pipe and then close the valve. Not sure how well welding equipment works that deep or whether it would be possible while using a sub.

there's talk going aruond that there's a break in the well (a thousand or more ft deeper) itself and that break is eroding the underlying bedrock which keeps the blow off preventer (BOV) upright. Rumor is that the BOV is starting to tilt away from vertical. If they actually cap the BOV then the pressure down in the well where there's a supposed break increase and causes even more erosion. Rumor is that the relief wells will intersect the current well somewhere below this suspected break and then they can kill it from the bottom up with cement.

This is all rumor.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
...there's talk going aruond that there's a break in the well (a thousand or more ft deeper) itself and that break is eroding the underlying bedrock...

That sounds similar to what Newsweek published a few days ago:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/23/the-oil-spill-s-worst-case-scenario.html

Quote:
It's possible that hydrocarbons are leaking out the bottom or sides of the well. If so, they might erode surrounding sediments and undermine the foundation upon which the 450-ton blowout preventer sits. If such leaks aren’t sealed off in time, the entire structure could topple over. “After that, it goes into the realm of ‘the worst things you can think of,’” writes a commenter on the oil- and energy-focused website The Oil Drum. It was this commenter's post that has become the subject of wider speculation. “The well may come completely apart as the inner liners fail. There is still a very long drill string in the well that could literally come flying out … at the very least we are stuck with a wide open gusher blowing out 150,000 barrels a day of raw oil or more.”

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: ZZman

There's talk going aruond that there's a break in the well (a thousand or more ft deeper) itself and that break is eroding the underlying bedrock which keeps the blow off preventer (BOV) upright. Rumor is that the BOV is starting to tilt away from vertical. If they actually cap the BOV then the pressure down in the well where there's a supposed break increase and causes even more erosion. Rumor is that the relief wells will intersect the current well somewhere below this suspected break and then they can kill it from the bottom up with cement.

This is all rumor.

True in Concept. The Casing has rupture discs that have failed, that is why the top kill did not work. The containment system that is the interim control until mud can be put in from below with a relief well is the best solution for the time being. A disconecting cap with a seafloor surface storage system is in the works.

The cap and is not just a cap. It is also tied into the kill line at the bottom of the BOP. If the pressure in the cap and the kill linbe can be equalized (they are within 2 PSI of each other last I heard, then no oil will be escaping.

i was thinking if they had a big steel or cement pipe that was large enough to go around the leaking pipe, them be driven into the sea floor to seal it, extend it to the surface using extra lengths of pipe, the pumping it out of that tube, they would contain the leak and retain the crude oil until they can come up with a more permanent solution.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Win
Stuff that pipe full of the idiots in the current administration that delayed giving Lousiana permission to build barrier islands.

The hot air from them would cause another blow out.
It would be worth the risk.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Now would be a good time for someone to buy Castrol from BP. They are going to need the money.

We are just doing the opposite: neverbuying anything made by BP anymore and advising the same to people around us.
We are boycotting BP gas stations.

I'm just using the free gas I get from BP from the rebates from my BP MasterCard.

The local stations get paid, but I'm not giving any of my money to BP.

I don't know what the station has to pay BP to have their name on the signs, but that will happen regardless if I buy or not.

I hate to see the local business owners get stuck with the stinky end of the stick on the BP debacle.

Javacontour, I do not like that either but they have to make a choice and reflect customer preferences in their decisions.They can scrap BP franchise and go with some other.

If we do not punish recklessness with our purchasing power (stations wield that purchasing power too) then we can not say we did our part in restoring balance.

LTVibe, I hope somebody does that.Citgo maybe? Or Road Ranger which I am currently buying my pure gas from.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: robert_west
Put a wedding ring around it. Women stop putting out when they get a wedding ring :)

:D LOL!

That is not funny because it is true.

In time, with the weight of the water and sea floor mashing down upon the oil field, all the oil will be out and the leak will slow to an ooze. No body will even know in a few thousand years.

prs

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Javacontour, I do not like that either but they have to make a choice and reflect customer preferences in their decisions.They can scrap BP franchise and go with some other.

If we do not punish recklessness with our purchasing power (stations wield that purchasing power too) then we can not say we did our part in restoring balance.

LTVibe, I hope somebody does that.Citgo maybe? Or Road Ranger which I am currently buying my pure gas from.

You do realize that gas just goes into the pipeline system, and comes back out at some terminal.

So the gas you buy at Citgo, Shell, XOM or anywhere else is likely refined by BP.

The only way to avoid buying BP gas is to not buy gas, period.

So boycotting the local BP station does nothing that hurts BP and everything to hurt a local business owner.

If you really want to hurt BP, don't buy any gas at all, for the next 100 years or so. Ridiculous, I know, but then so is boycotting the local BP station hoping it will hurt BP corporate.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Do BP stations sell BP gas?

I bet every gas station in the US has at one time or another sold BP gas. Just because the sign on the station doesn't say BP, that doesn't mean the gas wasn't refined by BP.

You would really think folks interested in oil would know these things...

Gas is like electricity, it's put on the grid (the pipeline) at one point and it's taken out at another. Do you really think one gets the same gas they put in?

Well, drive BP out of business in the US. In every way we can.Punish the BP in every way we can.Punish anybody/any company/any business that does business with BP.Punish gas stations that carry BP logo.I do not care, it is up to them to trash BP contracts. Say 'an act of God', say whatever but do not carry BP signs.

Do not use gas? That is ideal, my immediate concern is punishing BP.I do nto want BP to profit from my business.I want Citgo to make money, I want Mobil to make money,I want Shell to make money as long as they do not mess the oceans.

By causing BP logo carrying businesses suffering, I am telling them to stop that business relationship with BP.BP makes money through franchise, right? Trash that franchise.

Gas price should be around 10 bucks a gallon.That will help putting a stop to gas usage and open up new alternatives, make those alternatives profitable to venturers.

Gas tax is the ultimate solution.I support it, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back