How to select correct oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from Australia BTOG members .
My current car is an old camry with a neglected past.
My current full is 10-40 castrol magnatec a well used oil here.
Currently trying to clean mild hard carbon sludge inside the engine using oil only.
Like most non oil guys I'm unsure of what to look for in a good oil and would like to learn.
After researching castrol magnatec I'm unable to find zddp levals and would like to know if I have chosen a decent oil
Thank you for your time.

If your trying to clean the engine with oil only PYB is your best bet.What year is your Camry ? I doubt you need to be concerned about zinc levels in that vehicle at all.I am not familair with what is available to you so maybe others can help you out.

Oil selection in aus is limited PYB is not available unfortunate oil selection here is mostly Dino and a heavy weight 15-40 all the way to 25-70

About any HDEO will do what you want, Delvac Delo or Rotella .
Should be available in many stores in Australia.

Originally Posted By: skellyman
About any HDEO will do what you want, Delvac Delo or Rotella .
Should be available in many stores in Australia.

Plus 1. High in detergents,very stout and proven durable.

Originally Posted By: Testoprop
I do alot of highway driving what would be a recommended drain interval ?

Highway miles are easy on an engine and the oil if the motor is in a good state of tune. You could extend the interval however I don't suggest just picking a number out of the air. Get a couple of uoa done to establish trends then decide on an interval that reflects your diving style and the trends gleaned from the uoa.
If no uoa then stick with the oem recommendation.

Hi Testoprop. Castrol Magnatec and Shell Helix HX7 are both decent oils well priced here. For cleaning I think the Helix is supposed to be very good.

Supercheap Auto had Helix HX7 10W40 going for only $23/5L a few weeks ago (I picked up 10L). That sale has finished now so it's back to about $35, which is still not too bad.

Another one that might be worth a try is Supercheap's house brand "15W40 Calibre Diesel". Shannow has looked into this one and claims it's re-branded Caltex Delo Gold. So great value at $28/5.5L and should be great for cleaning. See http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2675390

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Testoprop
I do alot of highway driving what would be a recommended drain interval ?

It really will depend on the type of roads your on ,if your doing back roads ie dusty dirt ones more frequent changes would be prudent, the best way is to use UOA's to help decide whats right in your use.

If your budget will only allow for something like 15w40 or 10w40, I'd probably go for Shell Helix HX7 10w40. If you prefer the 15w40 diesel route I don't think it will really matter what you use. Even Repco and Supercheap store brands are both proven to be good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back