How to Properly Read a Dipstick

I am in my 6th decade and I thought I knew how to read a dipstick. You pull it out and wipe it off. You then stick it and all the way and then pull it out and read where the fluid
levels are. Simple as pie, easy peasy normally.

I was listening to a podcast and the man was giving instructions on how to properly read a dipstick. I was gonna fast forward until I heard him say, "...very few people know how
to properly read a dipstick." Lewis Altazan got my attention.

Here is the nitty gritty, cut to the chase summation. Always read both sides. If your dipstick reads two different levels, you always read the lowest level as that is the true level.
Oil and transmission fluid can't crawl up the stick. The lower level is the accurate level.

I can't tell you how many times I get confused reading ATF dipsticks as they are practically never the same on both sides. Now, after many years I know how to read a dipstick.

I would like to learn how to read a Subaru dipstick. Ive owned three of them.. and its like playing a slot machine sometimes..

I agree. It is important and sounds so simple, but it is very much dependent on the design of the dipstick and engine. My daughter's ‘03 Nissan Maxima with the 3.5L is absolutely horrible in terms of dipstick reading. Every time you pull the stick, it reads differently. One side is definitely reading different from the other. If the engine was recently shut off (like in the last 15 minutes), forget about it. Apparently there is an oil passage that runs across the dipstick along the way and messes up the reading due to oil dripping down it. Knew a guy who said he blew the engine in his Maxima, probably due to WAY overfilling the engine due to this dipstick issue.

Our 06 Honda 3.5L, Volvo inline 5s and Buick 3.8L are easy and straightforward.

[Linked Image]

Err, you get the idea. Ya going to believe what has worked for you for umpteen decades is now suddenly wrong on the basis of one podcast?

Single point data is almost useless, but whatever. Going by the almighty owners manual for my car, it takes 3.8 quarts on an oil change (with filter). I put in 4, run it, let it sit over night. In the morning I can pull the dipstick and on the side with the marks it will read full. Flip it over to the side sans marks and the oil level will be around the add mark. Averaging the two would say I need to add more oil, no? Probably why they didn't put marks on both sides--it's scribed marks, not holes. [That makes me wonder: if it's got holes maybe the OEM knows it doesn't matter. If it's got scribes and only goes in one way, maybe it does. And 99% of the time I'll bet it doesn't matter, not unless if you are a) racing or b) running the fluid until its rendered back to Crisco.]

Originally Posted by Gebo
Supton, I'm at a loss for words.
05.gif

Sorry, it was a bit harsh, but it had to be said. It's good to look for devil's advocate thoughts & opinions, and good to perodically test one's opinions & beliefs, but one ought to move cautiously when a single reference point indicates other than what has been "good and right" for a long time. Only when the data starts to pile up should one think that they've been wrong all this time.

cheers3.gif

That's pretty much how I've been doing it. I have to admit I've not yet had a car where the two sides read differently, at least not to a large enough degree to notice, but it's a habit I've had for a long time. Possibly due to every single lawn mower I've ever used or owned giving a different reading depending on which side I checked.

Originally Posted by VolvoZ
I agree. It is important and sounds so simple, but it is very much dependent on the design of the dipstick and engine. My daughter's ‘03 Nissan Maxima with the 3.5L is absolutely horrible in terms of dipstick reading. Every time you pull the stick, it reads differently. One side is definitely reading different from the other. If the engine was recently shut off (like in the last 15 minutes), forget about it.

+1

I am finding that the new vehicle dipsticks(if available) are much harder to read. They're long, skinny, round pieces of cable or thin steel tubing or plastic some XXXX on the end AND, just too difficult to read.

The Firebird in my signature for both the oil & tranny has a nice long piece of FLAT springy steel that is easy to read with great marking.

Originally Posted by supton
05.gif

Sorry, it was a bit harsh, but it had to be said. It's good to look for devil's advocate thoughts & opinions, and good to perodically test one's opinions & beliefs, but one ought to move cautiously when a single reference point indicates other than what has been "good and right" for a long time. Only when the data starts to pile up should one think that they've been wrong all this time.

cheers3.gif

I still don't know what to say. This info came from a well respected mechanic Louis Altazan at Agco Automotive. I have no idea what you are talking about. I learned the correct way to read a dipstick by reading the lower level. If I am checking the fluid level in a cylinder container and my dipstick gets too close to the side of the container, the fluid level could read higher than the actual level. The fluid would be squished between the stick and the wall of the cylinder container. The side of the dipstick towards the center of the cylinder will give the accurate reading. It doesn't matter which way I flip the dipstick. The side of the dipstick that touches the cylinder wall will give a false high reading.

What I had always done was flip the stick one way and then the other and sorta average them out. I now believe that was wrong. Especially when checking HOT ATF. The low level is the most accurate level. Whichever way you insert the dipstick.

Oh, I am talking about metal flat two sided dipsticks. I have no idea what dipsticks are in cars that are made from 2009 and up.
grin2.gif

Sorry doesn't compute If the dipstick is inserted into the reservoir at an oblique angle - as most are
then it should be designed to have the hash on the intended reading side.

So You better have the dipstick inserted the right way not - 180.

I try to pay attention to how it came from the factory,

Also I check my oil: Cold, at work on a level parking space, maybe 2x a week when I'm leaving for Home at the end of the day.

Read on the First pull of the stick because With the small dip tubes, you will get a messy reading duo to oil "vacuumed" up the diptube.

HTH

- Ken

Last edited:
The dipstick on the wife's Flex is terrible, I can never tell where the level is. Been meaning to take some pics and post here.

The dipstick on the Vue is pretty good, when it comes out dry I add a quart (around every 1k miles)

Sorry doesn't compute!

If the dipstick is inserted into the reservoir at an oblique angle - as most are
then it should be designed to have the hash on the intended reading side.

So You better have the dipstick inserted the right way not - 180.

I try to pay attention to how it came from the factory,

Also I check my oil: Cold, at work on a level parking space, maybe 2x a week when I'm leaving for Home at the end of the day.

Read on the First pull of the stick because With the small dip tubes, you will get a messy reading duo to oil "vacuumed" up the diptube.

HTH

- Ken

Maybe this only applies to my cars as I have witnessed it for many years. Especially after checking oil soon after changing to verify your level and checking hot ATF.

Checking hot ATF with a dipstick used to virtually impossible for me. Now it is easy peasy. Go with the lowest level on either side of the dipstick. That will be the most
accurate level.

as a mechanic, I always went with the lowest reading on the dipstick. on some vehicles the low vs the high side is a half quart of oil...

I check the oil level cold. Gives a spot on reading each time.

Comes from my VQ35 days and its crappy dipstick that would be impossible to read warm. Nissan bros will know the struggle.

Originally Posted by supton
05.gif

cheers3.gif

I still don't know what to say. This info came from a well respected mechanic Louis Altazan at Agco Automotive. I have no idea what you are talking about. I learned the correct way to read a dipstick by reading the lower level. If I am checking the fluid level in a cylinder container and my dipstick gets too close to the side of the container, the fluid level could read higher than the actual level. The fluid would be squished between the stick and the wall of the cylinder container. The side of the dipstick towards the center of the cylinder will give the accurate reading. It doesn't matter which way I flip the dipstick. The side of the dipstick that touches the cylinder wall will give a false high reading.

What I had always done was flip the stick one way and then the other and sorta average them out. I now believe that was wrong. Especially when checking HOT ATF. The low level is the most accurate level. Whichever way you insert the dipstick.

So reading one thing changes 40 years of experience?

I see your point about capillary action (?) (or just fluid on the side of the tube), but I've noticed the opposite--the proper level in my car reads a add a quart on the opposite side. Using the lower level would be wrong.

I will say, my first automatic transmission is one of those evil sealed units. Where you put it at the required temperature and then pull the check plug to see if any oil comes out--if not, add some oil until it drips out. The second automatic is one of those "better" ones with a dipstick. And first thing I noticed, after changing the trans fluid, was that I couldn't read the dipstick, not with all the fresh oil on the tubing. I wound up waiting a day for it to drain before I could check the level.
21.gif
I certainly prefer the convenience of a dipstick--just pull it cold and check the level, no rags needed--but I've not be quite so anti-sealed transmission since getting this car with its "better" system.

Originally Posted by mclasser
I check the oil level cold. Gives a spot on reading each time.

Comes from my VQ35 days and its crappy dipstick that would be impossible to read warm. Nissan bros will know the struggle.

+1

Back