How to Properly Read a Dipstick

Originally Posted by supton
[/quote]
So reading one thing changes 40 years of experience?

Absolutely. When I recognize the truth, I try to adjust to it. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

I lived 40 years before I realized shaving certain areas of my body make things much more comfortable. I didn't have to
hear that but one time.

TRUTH
banana2.gif

I always hate it when I learn that something I have been doing successfully for several decades is the wrong way! Go figure.
21.gif

This is an interesting thread because I think the premise is correct. However, I cannot remember having a dipstick reading vary more than about 1/8 inch from one side to the other, so it would not matter which side I used for the level. And, if it did register WAY high on one side, I think that I did/would realize that it "smeared" or something against the tube or whatever, so take the small reading as correct.

GEBO, I can see where the AGCO site is right up your alley, because they claim to do everything "by the book" and then some. I have found faults there, though. I.E., they still recommend to change coolant every 2 to 3 years. Today's coolants are well advanced beyond that time interval. My John Deere diesel coolants have doubled their use time and my vehicles recommend 10 change intervals.

Truth is sometimes elusive. For instance, consider electrical and plumbing requirements. The correct "truthful" methods varies immensely across jurisdictions. What's "true" in one county is "false" in another. It drives me nuts.

And, TMI....TMI:
I lived 40 years before I realized shaving certain areas of my body make things much more comfortable

70% of my emphasis is on checking ATF.

And you are right. I probably have a man crush on Louis as he is right up my ally. I change all my coolants every 6 months by just draining the radiator and refilling.

Good grief! I'm well into my 8th Decade and have had what seems like a zillion vehicles and never had a problem reading a dip stick.
33.gif

Originally Posted by mclasser
I check the oil level cold. Gives a spot on reading each time.

Comes from my VQ35 days and its crappy dipstick that would be impossible to read warm. Nissan bros will know the struggle.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly right
lol.gif

Originally Posted by tc1446
Good grief! I'm well into my 8th Decade and have had what seems like a zillion vehicles and never had a problem reading a dip stick.
33.gif

That's why I'm here for you
thumbsup2.gif
You had a zillion vehicles and never knew you were reading them incorrectly. You are welcome.
34.gif

You don't have to thank me but I am accepting PayPal donations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by tc1446
33.gif

That's why I'm here for you
thumbsup2.gif
You had a zillion vehicles and never knew you were reading them incorrectly. You are welcome.
34.gif

You don't have to thank me but I am accepting PayPal donations.

I tried but Paypal kept sending it back! Cheers.
laugh.gif

I check in the morning with engine cold and having sat overnight.
With tissue in-hand, I pull the dipstick - read it - clean off the dipstick oily edge and insert dipstick back in the same front-to-back direction as I pulled it from.
I close the hood, if no top-off is needed and there never is.

The best reading for me is the first one. If I try a 2nd one a minute later, all the oil from the dipstick smears all over the dipstick tube and makes the 2nd reading non-trust-worthy.

.... now you know the rest of the story.....

I just finished changing the oil in a '09 IS350. One side of the oil stick reads about 1/8" higher than the other and sorta smeared up the side of the dipstick. I can flip the dipstick and one side still reads 1/8" higher.

This is where I go by the lower reading on the dipstick. YMMV.

If the reading difference between the two sides of your dipstick is significant enough to be a concern, just get rid of the vehicle
laugh.gif

But seriously, why are people checking the oil level twice a week? I only check the oil once a month or every 2 refuels (whichever comes first) and I take pretty care of my vehicles.

Originally Posted by DGXR
But seriously, why are people checking the oil level twice a week? I only check the oil once a month or every 2 refuels (whichever comes first) and I take pretty care of my vehicles.

Sometimes problems can develop overnight--sudden leak or the like.

Pre-pandemic I normally filled up once per week... except on the weeks that I filled twice. And my car was using a quart over its 5k OCI. So arguably checking once/week was probably necessary. [My other vehicles don't use oil and I generally only them check once/month.]

If the reading difference between the two sides of your dipstick is significant enough to be a concern, just get rid of the vehicle
laugh.gif

I've thought the same...seems to me like paranoia. If you know your vehicle's tendencies you'll know how often is appropriate to check. If it springs a leak, it should be pretty obvious looking at your garage floor.

I think I'll start a new thread. How Often Do You Check Your Oil?

Originally Posted by tbm5690
laugh.gif

I've thought the same...seems to me like paranoia. If you know your vehicle's tendencies you'll know how often is appropriate to check. If it springs a leak, it should be pretty obvious looking at your garage floor.

If you have a garage floor.
wink.gif
Some of us also do a lot of highway miles, and some leaks are only at hot and/or pressure (dad had a van that would only lose coolant that way).

Originally Posted by Gebo
I think I'll start a new thread. How Often Do You Check Your Oil?

Might be fun to start. But I'm 99% sure there was a thread in the past for it!

Back