how to perfrom/read blotter test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read the archives and searched the web. It appears the blotter test is somewhat difficult to perform by a consumer. Apparently it is an art to read the results. I may be the problem as i am not at all sure what to expect.

I have been placing a single drop of oil (from dipstick) on a white piece of paper every 500 miles, let it spread for at least 24 hours.

The results are interesting. After 2,000 miles the oil has slightly darkened. Looks dark when first placed on the paper.

The most intersting aspect is the two different shades of "color". There is an inside dark area and an outer "ring" of lighter shade. It appears that the inside dark area is getting slightly darker and may be getting slightly smaller. Hard to tell at 2,000 miles

Even so, I have no clue what this could mean. Could someone give me a simple/easy lesson in how to read blotters. I may also need better instructions on how to performa a basic blotter test.

BTW, this is Mobil 1 0w40 on a 1995 BMW 532i with 106,000 miles. TIA

May be this will help:

quote:

The Blotter Spot Test

This test reveals oxidation products, sludge formation, dispersancy failure, glycol contamination, water contamination, fuel dilution, and high levels of particles.

You want to place a drop or two of used oil on the surface of chromatography paper (good heavy white card stock works pretty well too). Lay the paper or business card flat, but so that all but the very edges of the paper is suspended. For a fairly stiff business card, placing two pencils down on a table and laying the business card so that the ends are resting on the pencils would work well.

You want to wait for the paper or card to absorb the oil drop(s) which might take awhile. Once all of the oil has been drawn into the pores of the paper you can begin evaluating the condition of your oil.

A colorless spot or slight yellow outer ring - "good" oil.
A dense, dark deposit zone - Dispersancy failure
A black, pasty zone - Glycol (Antifreeze) in your oil
A dark center with distinct outer ring - Severely oxidized oil
A dark center with surrounding rings - Fuel in oil
Information for the blotter spot test can be found in:
Fitch, J.C., "The Lubrication Field Test and Inspection Guide" Noria Corporation 2000

Do a search on Google for +blotter +oil +test

The other interesting tests are Crackle Test and Oil on Water.

quote:

Originally posted by Russell:
Gee, this got moved. You would have thought it related to oil analysis.

Gee, I would have thought you could read the forum header, I thought it said type data only, that is data from the oil analysis. And yes, your question relates to oil analysis, but is not an oil analysis. Plus you got an email notifying you of the move.

dunno.gif

Gee, I sure did read the header. I think I saw similar posts with question/responses in the past in the UOA section. Also, I do not believe ALL posts in the UOA forum are pure UOA. So I thought if others do it, and I have an UOA related question, why not? You see, I had previously posted it in the Oil Section and received NO response. I assumed that UOA must be the correct place as it was not a general question, It was about a UOA technique.

Anyway, no big deal. You learn to use various forums by trial and error.

Sure I got an e-mail about the move. That is a nice point that I am not sure that other boards provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back