How to gain power on a 1996 Dodge Stratus 2.4L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to say NOTHING giving the car model and year - but thats not fair.

Iridium spark plugs, clean low restriction air filter., Larger cat, REAL synthetic oil in as light a grade as it would tolerate.

And yeah, make sure that T- belt is good to go..

I would do the tune-up thing, but be sure to include a new gas filter if you haven't within the last 30K miles. You could also do a little gentle, gradual cleaning in the sump with something like Rislone at the next oil change or just add it if the oil is relatively clean for the rest of the OCI. Then try a relatively thin synthetic in maybe a 5W-30 or even 0W-30 weight...

Mitsubishi 4G63 swap
laugh.gif

But in all seriousness, take care of the maintenance. It's amazing what fresh fluids, filters and plugs can do to a neglected car.

I am amazed with all the help and advice, thank you all! I understand that a 24 year old car won't make or be able to take big gains, was just wondering if a few things could make a noticeable difference even if it's minimal. This isn't really a daily driver as my fiance and I only really ever use our Pontiac G5 the Stratus is more so a beater than anything. I probably won't do the timing belt because I honestly can get so frustrated when it comes to doing them, I do like the idea of the srt-4 swap (friend has a rear end totaled srt-4 neon). Also the push off the cliff would make for a really fast car ...‚ but all the small ideas like plugs, fluids intake and muffler are very easy for me to do. Again though thank you all with the advice!!

I think you are throwing money down a hole with little to no return. I would find something else if you are just wanting to "tinker" for the sake of it to pass the time due to boredom.

If a timing belt is too much hassle or frustration, making a car go faster may not be for you.

I'd take care of the maintenance, including the timing belt since you don't know how old it might be, and then save your money for an out of the box ready to go-fast car.

But it's your time and money, so you do you.

Originally Posted by Holaitshunter
Just curious if there is anything that I can do to get a little pep out of my car. No mechanical issues and it has about 85k miles on it. Any advice would be cool, I work a seasonal job so right now I have all the time in the world to do work on it. Just want to have a bit more fun with it without having to buy a quicker car.

Unfortunately, the car is what it is and you'll need different car if you want pep.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Nitrous

2 kits would liven it right up.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back