How to fix a shrunk respray - Paint Correction?

So the car is a friends lime green metallic with what appears to be a slightly pearl clearcoat. Or maybe the pearl is in the basecoat not sure.

Anyways, if you look at the paint, there is no questioning the fact the drivers fender and door + part of the hood has been repainted. Not because of poor color matching or metallic, but because the clear coat has shrunk and lost its gloss. It is not orange peel but just "dry spray".

I would like to attempt a paint correction but my fear is that the clear may not be thick enough.

Thoughts on best way to approach?

I have long throw and short throw DA's
Coupled with microfiber / foam / and wool pads from lake country and uro fiber.
I use 3d one correction compound, and also have ACA 520, as well as meguires ultimate compound, and some SSR 1 and SSR2.

Do you have any photos? Will probably need to get wet sanded with 3000 grit to level the surface, or at least get it closer to orange peel without blowing through the clear.

I have had limited success with leveling the texture, compounding and polishing, but the results were only a marginal improvement.

Due to the risk of burn-thru, I would leave it alone.

Just in case you are up for it, it really is a simple matter to re-spray clear coat over an intact surface. And often not particularly expensive. Simply wet sand with 2000 grit and spray. The results can be spectacular, and the car will look great for many years to come.

So the car is a friends lime green metallic with what appears to be a slightly pearl clearcoat. Or maybe the pearl is in the basecoat not sure.

Anyways, if you look at the paint, there is no questioning the fact the drivers fender and door + part of the hood has been repainted. Not because of poor color matching or metallic, but because the clear coat has shrunk and lost its gloss. It is not orange peel but just "dry spray".

I would like to attempt a paint correction but my fear is that the clear may not be thick enough.

Thoughts on best way to approach?

I have long throw and short throw DA's
Coupled with microfiber / foam / and wool pads from lake country and uro fiber.
I use 3d one correction compound, and also have ACA 520, as well as meguires ultimate compound, and some SSR 1 and SSR2.
If you have a shrunk respray, the best thing to do is to have it fixed by a professional of paint correction for car. They will be able to match the paint and clear coat to the original paint job, and they will also be able to fix any other damage that may have been caused by theshrinking.

Back