How to dispose of 'old' gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Darren270
Why not just use it in the mower?

I've put old gas in a mower before and the fuel was bad enough that the mower would not shut off. It was obviously self-igniting. A car will not have any problems with year-old gas that has been diluted down.

How old was it? It would have had to have lost a ton of octane to make a mower engine "diesel."

I hate wasting BTUs. Old gas goes in the tank a bit at a time. I also dispose of used solvents from the lab that way, after filtering through a paper towel. But I will not put acetone in the tank.

Over the years I've gotten rid of alcohol, pentane, kerosene, stove fuel, nitromethane, and mineral spirits.

What kind of percent of nitro did the tank end up being? Any spike in power for that tank?

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Darren270
Why not just use it in the mower?

I've put old gas in a mower before and the fuel was bad enough that the mower would not shut off. It was obviously self-igniting. A car will not have any problems with year-old gas that has been diluted down.

How old was it? It would have had to have lost a ton of octane to make a mower engine "diesel."

IIRC, it was about two years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back