1616545342474.jpg

1616545485024.jpg

1616545650071.jpg

1616545677695.jpg

Did someone say SAE 20?

Last edited:
First picture:
API SC ended in 1967.
API SC is more of a back spec for engines from the late 60s, I believe when the API S-rating came about SD was the spec for current cars and they created the SA-SC speciation's for ranges of older cars though, for the model years SB and SC are specified the active specification at the time for gasoline engines was API MS (most-severe)

So i don't think the 10 psi per 1000 rpms applies to my old relic
10W30 in my 1996 Chevy C1500 4.3
60 lbs idling cold.
40 lbs idling hot.
50 lbs hot at 2000 rpms.
It's not that a stock engine in a normally vehicle should follow those guidelines, it was a rule of thumb for minimum pressure needed in a SBC when you've got a hot sump in your racecar.

First picture:
API SC ended in 1967.

Last picture:
QR Code was invented in 1994. Curious if the Belgium 10W is still on the market and if that company makes the GC now?

what is the natural "hot rating" range of a 20W without vii? Can you formulate one to be a 40 or 50 grade for example? What would be the easiest or least expensive natural hot grade (no vm) to formulate?

Yes, and anything that might spec straight 10W is going to be older than 1967, hence the spec. Just like it's not uncommon to still see API SL or SM on some of the Euro lubes.

The hot rating will be whatever the base oil allows. If it's straight Group II for example it might be 20 or 30. Most 10w-30 PCMO's have VII in them as do 20w-50's, so I'd expect for the 20W you might be a 20W-20 or 20W-30.

The cheapest (which would be easy, given the API rating) would be straight Group I.

We look at J300 (thanks Widman!)
SAE J300 motor oil viscosities.jpg

The only requirements for 20W are:
CCS/MRV and a KV100 of 5.6 or higher.

So, blend it with PAO and you are off to the races, but these will be blended "on the cheap", so they won't be using PAO.

Looking at Mobil's base oil portfolio, their EHC 65 product, which is Group II, would seem to fit the bill for an SAE 10W
CCS @ -20C: 3,100cP
KV100: 6.3-6.6
Noack: 10%
Pour Point: -18C

So that would give you a straight 10W-16.

That help?

I have been away from the site for years. It seems now I have some time on my hands as I am close to retirement.

Anyway, it is simple: The rule is that you need 10 PSI for every 1,000 RPM of engine speed. I generally like to keep it as 8 - 12 PSI.

In a thread somebody was asking what grade to use. He stated that he mostly drove “normally” but on occasion was on the track. He got all sorts of advise but the correct response. He needs two oils, one for each application. He needs to use whatever oil gives him the appropriate PSI for his different applications. It’s that simple.

FYI, my Ferrari 812 Superfast normally runs at 35-45 PSI at idle (650 RPM) at normal operating temperature while driving around town, my only application. The oil temp has never been above 170F so far. The oil is a 40 grade but surely I can use a 20 grade safely. The maximum oil pressure is limited to 80 PSI at 9,500 RPM because of the pop off pressure valve. So Ferrari thinks that 80 PSI is enough for 9,500 RPM. They do caution that the engine must be fully warmed up before running up the RPM - Why? They do not want the oil to be too thick with higher RPM.

AEHaas
Good to see you back, Dr. Haas!

@OVERKILL
Thanks for the info!

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, based on J300 table, 20W Min cSt can be between 5.6 and 9.299 (< 9.3). Is that true?

if true, 9.3 also happens to be borderline Max hot rating cSt for 20 and 30 grades (i.e. it could be a very thick 20 or a thin 30) ... is that why you are saying 20W hot rating might be 20 or 30?

Q2:
was the 9.3 under the Min and Max cSt columns of Widman table by design or just a coincidence? What's the story behind it if any?

^^^ Per the J300 table, "20W" can be 5.6 cSt KV or higher, but it must also meet the 2 low temp requirements. There is no defined max KV in the J300 table.

Last edited:
^^^ Per the J300 table, "20W" can be 5.6 cSt KV or higher, but it must also meet the 2 low temp requirements. There is no defined max KV in the J300 table.

I though there was a rule that the W rating has to be based on the Min spec that the oil meets. For example you can't label a 5W as 10W. Maybe I am confusing the issues.

Can we theoretically have a 20W with 9.4 Min cSt (higher than 25W Min cSt) assuming it meets the ccs/mrv specs and there are no chemistry and/or formulation limitation?

^^^ The "W" and the non-W ratings have different J300 specs. Multi viscosity oils (ie, oils rated as xW-xx) need to meet the associated specs in both the "W" section and the non-W section of J300. If it's just rated "20W", then it only has to meet the 20W specs in J300.

^^^ I guess the part that confuses me is if the W rating is all about ccs and mrv, then why have the Minimum Kinematic cSt column to begin with?
Why can't they just get rid of it and let it roam free if it meets the other 2 major specs?

^^^ I guess the part that confuses me is if the W rating is all about ccs and mrv, then why have the Minimum Kinematic cSt column to begin with?
Why can't they just get rid of it and let it roam free if it meets the other 2 major specs?
Probably because the KV info on the "W" oils helps define the behavior of the oil better. But I agree, seems the low temperature spec requirements are most important.

Last edited:
Because those specs are at different temperatures, which then helps define the behavior of the oil better.

I was thinking if you design or formulate something (W) based on 2 primary parameters (ccs/mrv), why introduce another variable? However i can see that KV is at a fixed temp and maybe easier to relatively compare them ...

Wonder what's driving this table? I assume it was defined based on the existing base oils and formulation limitations ... Does the table get tweaked every few years or decades at least on the W side as the technology advaces?

Back