How to Determine the Correct Oil Grade for your Car

Where are all the engines that wore and then blew up running 0w20?
Only 2% of them made it to 200,000 kms.
But 2% of the engines that ran 5w20 made it to 200,000 miles.
Back in the day we had SAE 20w20 and SAE 10W.
Nobody boasted about running 10W in the summer.
Saving the whales for vegan Greta and rainbow cross walks wern't invented for another 50 years.

Last edited:
Interesting. Then why monitor oil pressure at all?

On page 154 of my old Ferrari 575M the manual says this: "In standard operating conditions, oil pressure must be between 5 and 6bar with the engine operating at 6,000 rpm and oil temperature at 212 °F (100 °C)." This is 72-87 PSI, not less, not more. So Ferrari thinks the actual oil pressure is important.

They also say to use either 0-40 or 5-40 oil except for racing conditions where they recommend a 60 grade oil. Once again, the proper grade for the application/conditions/load/oil temperatures.

AEHaas
As Zee06 stated, it's a health check.

CATERHAM proved quite conclusively in my book that he could use the trends on his pressure guage to proxy for measuring the HTHS of the oil....but that does not mean that the oil pressure proxies for anything else.

If your Ferrarri loses oil pressure, go look for an issue...

As Zee06 stated, it's a health check.

CATERHAM proved quite conclusively in my book that he could use the trends on his pressure guage to proxy for measuring the HTHS of the oil....but that does not mean that the oil pressure proxies for anything else.

If your Ferrarri loses oil pressure, go look for an issue...
As far back as my memory can go, oil pressure loss is a sign of a mechanical problem.

Saving the whales for vegan Greta and rainbow cross walks wern't invented for another 50 years.

10W what?

Back in the day oil was not as stout as it is today.

Did you change oil every 500 miles in your Model T, too?

Please post proof of your assertion, Thanks.

I'd bet my retirement that modern engines will run 0w20 and/or 0w16 to 200,000 or more without blowing up or having significant wear just like engines running any other grade. This idea that those oils are bad for your vehicle are just silly.

Please post proof of your assertion, Thanks.

I'd bet my retirement that modern engines will run 0w20 and/or 0w16 to 200,000 or more without blowing up or having significant wear just like engines running any other grade. This idea that those oils are bad for your vehicle are just silly.

He's saying only ~2% of vehicles, regardless of oil grade, ever live to see 200k. Most end up in a scrapyard before then for some other reason.

83C92A1E-11F2-4123-8A64-F1F1F0D2AD0C.jpeg

Back