how to cut open filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-Filte...omotiveQ5fTools

$36 on eBay...

Works great!

100_0225.jpg

100_0223.jpg

I too have the Summit, received as a Christmas gift. Works best on filter with a >3in dia. because they hit the guide wheels. My apps are
Some have used the Harbor Freight here with success for smaller dia. apps.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I too have the Summit, received as a Christmas gift. Works best on filter with a >3in dia. because they hit the guide wheels. My apps are div>

I've got the Summit cutter too ... and know what you mean about the smaller diameter filters. I made a "small filter adaptor" out of wood with a half circle (~3" dia) that fits into the small wheels so I can cut smaller filters open. So instead of hitting the two small wheels, the filter rides in the half circle in the wood block to hold it steady. Works OK, and prevents the filter from wobbling around between the two wheels. I wish the two wheels were larger to enable the tool to cut down to 2" dia.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Some have used the Harbor Freight here with success for smaller dia. apps.

Interesting ... looks like that would work very well for filters since they are pretty thin walled.

^^^^ Yes, and that would be one those fine AAP Total Grip Filters made by Purolator, all that much better at the closeout price of $1.45.
thumbsup2.gif

And busa, sounds like a good retro fit you came up with for the can cutter.

I may just give the Harbor Freight a shot, ekpolk (mod) uses it, and says it works fine. At $20 the price is right.

thanks. I have heard of some guys using a kitchen opener of some type that opens it at the seam but I have no idea what that opener is, anyone heard of this?

the link doesn't work for me of the harbor freight one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back