How to break stuck rotors free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by Chris142
He is lucky that he did not break that cast iron ear off his spindle.

+1 that would have turned a little problem into a huge problem.

The Subaru has two threaded holes in the rotor. You put two bolts in them, tighten and then give it a whack and off it pops. Why don't all vehicles have that setup?

Mine has these 2 holes as well but pretty rusted shut. Would have needed to tap the holes out and i didn't have that size tap handy. I beat the tar out of the rotors from and back with a large rubber mallet and nothing. A heat shield limited some of my back access as well.

For those who thinks it puts a lot of stress on the ear. It did not. I was surpised using a 3/8 ratchet how little effort it actually took and how well it work. Also helped to put screwdriver in area that broke free as you worked another section to prevent it from going back.

I always use never seize for brake jobs as I typically do them every 4-6 years and by then everything is rusty and tight if you don't. I wasn't the last one on these brakes and could tell no anti-seize was ever used.

Thanks for all the replies and just sharing what worked for me hoping it will help someone else.

As a few others have said, the two-bolts-into-the-small-threaded-holes-in-the-rotor trick works well. Absolutely amazing how such small fasteners can pry those rusted surfaces apart. I recall beating rotors with a 3 lb hammer for what seemed like forever to try to get them to come off. Decided to try the threaded bolt method. Like magic. Obviously, if the threads are rusted, spray some lube on them. I keep small threaded bolts of the right size in the tool box just for this purpose. Have done this on several cars. If this does not work by itself, use the bolt trick along with a couple sharp hits with the big hammer.

Putting anti sieze vs spraying fluid flim on the hub to prevent it to be stuck. Which product would be better?

If you wash the vehicle which would stay on longer?

Originally Posted by painfx
Putting anti sieze vs spraying fluid flim on the hub to prevent it to be stuck. Which product would be better?

If you wash the vehicle which would stay on longer?

Anti seize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back