How often should I change oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all boils down to the type of filter and oil you use. I personally change it every oil change regardless of filter type.

Originally Posted By: virtualking
Hello People

I want to know that Is it necessary that everytime I change the oil, I have to change the filter too?

Length of OCI - what filter you will be using and how dirty your engine is - helps answer your question better.

My car mechanic is also asking for changing filter everytime I change the oil, so I am going to change it now, As per some members suggestion

Originally Posted By: virtualking
Hello People

I want to know that Is it necessary that everytime I change the oil, I have to change the filter too?

What vehicle is this and is it under warranty?

My 1997 civic I keep the oil filter on for two OCI. Engine is very clean inside.

For my Dodge caravan I will start to keep the filter on for two OCI (using a Fram ultra).

Do you do know what filter is currently on the vehicle?

You will get so many opinions on this one that you just need to go with what makes you comfortable.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
It all boils down to the type of filter and oil you use. I personally change it every oil change regardless of filter type.

Yep .

Most vehicles can have an oil filter change every other time. As the filter loads somewhat its even more efficient. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

My Jeep which has an over sized Fram Ultra is going 3 5K OCI's before changing it. Changing my oil without changing the filter is much quicker and saves me a good bit of time.

Camaro since its under warranty gets a filter every time

I agree with the other posts, what's your situation?

I change out my oil filter every oil change.. mainly for peace of mind and it's sitting right next to the oil pan easily accessible. My OCI's are 6months or 5-7500k

I feel it's good practice changing out every oil change.

How much does an oil filter cost? $3? $7?
How can it not be a wise investment for the longevity of the engine?
And for another thing, without a filter change you are not changing the oil.
You are changing-out some of the oil.
And no, one does not remove, drain, then reinstall a used oil filter.
Filter comes off, you toss it. And on goes the new filter.

Last edited:
Cut your filters open and judge the condition. If it looks new, use it more next time. I change every time. I want a fresh new filter which is at it's lowest restriction and best filtration.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Lrobby99
I mean who in their right mind has ever regretted replacing a used oil filter with a new oil filter?

If the vehicle doesn't need a new filter, then a regret occurs.
If the old filter is going into a landfill instead of being recycled, another regret occurs.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Cut your filters open and judge the condition. If it looks new, use it more next time. I change every time. I want a fresh new filter which is at it's lowest restriction and best filtration.
49.gif

This I can afford .oo1328 cents a mile for my filters.

It is completely stupid not to change your filter when you change the oil especially if the old filter is full of old oil (like in almost every car). There are lots of savvy ways to save some money on car maintenance but not changing filter with oil change is not one of them. And be sure to always take your old filter in along with your used oil to be recycled.

Last edited:
Nonsense.

Regret - no. Why throw away something you know for a fact isnt actually used up or degrading performance in any way if you dont have to?

So why would Honda recommend changing the filter revery other OCI then?

Is Honda stupid? Or is it because the data shows over and over the oil filter has a much greater life than one typical OCI?

Would you throw away a fram ultra rated for 20K at 7500 Miles? - just to " feel good" ?

Do you throw away tires with 40% tread left on them or paper towel rolls with 20% remaining ?

There is much more oil all over the rest of the engine thats whats left in a filter - you dont worry about that every OCI do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back