Are filter changes neccessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is changing the filter everytime you change your oil necessary or is it simply marketing to sell more filters. Can a good quality filter be changed every 2 or 3 oil changes without ill effects?

It seems to be something a lot of BITOG members are doing, and with good success. Something I'm considering once I get used to being out of severe service by moving west 3000 miles.

AD

Originally Posted By: stang5
even if someone tells you they think you'll be ok, why chance it for $3.00...

That's kind of my take on it as well. I keep comparing it to wiping a baby's butt but leaving the old dirty diaper on. I know it's not a good analogy, but like you say, for a couple of extra bucks, why chance it? People also suggest I use mineral oil instead of synthetic... again, I probably could do that, but I only change oil/filter once a year... in the grand scheme of all other expenses, how much really am I going to save by doing that?

ALWAYS put a New filter with New oil
06.gif

I'm in the change it when changing the oil camp. Being a member and spending a lot of time on BITOG lately it seems changing a filter at every OC can be a waste in some cases. I believe I read somewhere on here that Honda conducted a test and found that changing the filter every other OCI was actually better than changing the filter with each oil change. I think it depends on a lot of things. I'm not comfortable with it just yet so I will change the filter with each oil change.

IMO the quality (brand of filter) is more important to me than brand of oil.

$6 or less for a quality filter is nothing, so why not replace it.

Dude, I wish I knew this before this last OC and filter change. :-/ The classic Jeep 'valve tick' is back (in June!?!) with this fresh (tdt) and Wix. I kindof liked my old filter... Whatever that means.
-A

Some owner manuals recommend changing the filter every other oil change. I have always wondered why since filters are not that expensive. Manufacturers know whether this is good or bad for their cars or they wouldn't suggest it. Yet replacing every other change has to be the most disregarded advice on any automobile. I have never been to a dealer that follows it, an independent mechanic or even just knew someone who does it.

Then I read some threads on here where people are changing the filter half way through the interval. To be fair I guess with long life oil things might be reversed.

Yes a quality filter could go longer than 1 OCI.

I change my filter every OCI. So do most people. It works for us. Unless the 5-6 bucks is going to make or break you, spend it on the new filter.

Here's a general rule. It's real general and can and will be altered for wherever you fall out of the norm.

Right now there's isn't too many people who exist in a service profile that CAN'T be handled with a 6 month OCI.

Under 10k per year:

More short trips ..more moisture ..more byproduct producing fuel enrichment ...more filter loading

6 months oil and filter ..and go as cheap as you please.

Over 10k a year (the more, the better):

Less warm up miles ..less moisture ..less filter loading per mile

6 months oil ...one year filter ..and go as expensive as you please.

None of this even approaches extended drains ..outside of most's imagination.

..and ..naturally, there will be those who find themselves in exceptional circumstances ..either real or imagined.

I will cut open an L-24458 Purolator Premium Plus filter that will have 20K miles in a few months and post the pictures. It will be used for 1 year (20K miles mostly highway). But I do 3 OCI's in this timeframe.

I don't feel it is absolutely necessary to change the filter every oil change when there is fresh oil in the sump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I will cut open an L-24458 Purolator Premium Plus filter that will have 20K miles in a few months and post the pictures. It will be used for 1 year (20K miles mostly highway). But I do 3 OCI's in this timeframe.

I don't feel it is absolutely necessary to change the filter every oil change when there is fresh oil in the sump.

Cant wait to see it. I always go at least 10k on my filters.

for the price I see no reason not to change the filter when changing the oil.

Originally Posted By: hal

How many miles do you do a year ..and what level of filter do you buy?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I ran a PP for one year on my 2.5 jeep with RTS (9500 miles/13months). Did the same the next round with M1/RTS ..and about the same miles/time.

It was still a filter
21.gif

Quote:

I hate changing the oil filter cause its so messy. Plus I have Fumoto valves on all the cars so I just drain/refill the oil. For both Hondas I do 20K miles on the filter.

I will post the pictures in about 3 months.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Here's a general rule. It's real general and can and will be altered for wherever you fall out of the norm.

Right now there's isn't too many people who exist in a service profile that CAN'T be handled with a 6 month OCI.

Under 10k per year:

More short trips ..more moisture ..more byproduct producing fuel enrichment ...more filter loading

6 months oil and filter ..and go as cheap as you please.

Over 10k a year (the more, the better):

Less warm up miles ..less moisture ..less filter loading per mile

6 months oil ...one year filter ..and go as expensive as you please.

None of this even approaches extended drains ..outside of most's imagination.

..and ..naturally, there will be those who find themselves in exceptional circumstances ..either real or imagined.

Good rule: How about the car that is driven twice a week 20 highway miles each way with a 2 hour wait period before returning home, totaling 80 miles per week? The oil is getting good and hot, but the car is not accumulating many miles. Would you leave that filter, lets say a Pure One or Mobil 1 filter in service for 2 years with the oil being changed out once/year?

The contaminants retained by the old filter will seriously reduce the new oil effectiveness by up to 90%, according to a study done by Chrylser(?) many years ago, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back